+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 15 - 02/04/14 - Season Finale ***SPOILERS***

Re: Season 15 Episode 15 - 02/04/14 - Season Finale ***SPOILERS***

I just remembered that Janet Jackson has gained and lost weight publicly on two or three occasions. I know she has lost 60 lbs in 3 months twice and gained almost as much for a movie role. Every time she has lost that much weight she has been applauded and her picture put on the cover of magazines.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I feel bad for Rachel. I can't imagine how confusing it would be to work so hard and think everyone would admire you for winning and then to experience this backlash. I hope she's emotionally strong enough and has good support to help her weather it.
    sunshine3331 likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I feel bad for Rachel. I can't imagine how confusing it would be to work so hard and think everyone would admire you for winning and then to experience this backlash. I hope she's emotionally strong enough and has good support to help her weather it.
    I had have some family members who had trouble with their weight and tired numerous food programs and finally settled on FA (Food Anonymous or Food Addicts Anonymous). It didn't work the first time around but when they went in a team, deciding to support each other the program worked. I was so happy for them when they lost the first 40, then 60 lbs. The both looked so good, happy and healthy. Then they lost another 20 lbs and a bit more and we started to wonder are you OK. Part of it was wow you did extremely well and how much are you going to lose and part of it was not ever seeing them that thin as adults. Part of the program they were on is losing the weight and once they reached their goal weight the program gradually adds food/calories back in slowly so as not to reverse their progress. It took several months before they settled on a maintenance mode for the food program and tweaking it a bit so they were both at a weight they were comfortable with, happy with and could maintain. I think both were so happy reaching their initial weigh goals they decided to go for their dream goals. One of them did get too thin and did up his calories again with the advise of a mentor and very gradually got back to a great weight for his height and frame. It took time it did not happen overnight. I do think folks forget that there are two phases of weight loss. The actual weight loss part and then the maintenance part. Your body has gone through some amazing changes as well as the way you view yourself and you need to give yourself time and permission to tweak the process a bit. We are very much an instant gratification culture and weight loss and weight maintenance is not in instant gratification process. Rachel needs to be allowed time to bring balance to her life. It's just been a little over two weeks since she won her season, give the woman time to address the issues of maintenance mode and how to fit it into her life now that she has finished the weight loss part of her journey.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

I forgot to mention that once the family members did reach and were able to maintain their goal weights it still still took several months for their bodies to redistribute the body fat they as initially they both looked a bit thin in their faces. But once the fat redistributed their faces filled in a bit.

There is an old adage that you lose weight from the face down and once you get to your goal weight the remaining body fat redistributes from the bottom up.
    Miss_Griss and PWS like this.

I don't think any actor has ever received kudos for losing weight for a role. I remember when Matthew Mcconaughey lost a bunch of weight for Dallas Buyers Club and people were shocked at how he looked (and not in a good way). There actually was an uproar. Same with Bale, but on a much lower scale only because back then we weren't as infatuated with movie stars every move the way the public seems to be now. When actors do lose such big amounts of weight, they are also under extremely close watch and guided by nutritionists every day. And none of them do it to win money, they do it to enscapsulate a role they are playing. They also aren't on a weight loss show that millions of people watch using them for inspiration.

No one looked at Christian Bale and wanted to know what he did so that they could do it too, for example. But I guarantee you there are lots of young girls wanting to do whatever it was Rachel did.

Also remember Rachel chose to do this for a permanent look. The others went back to a healthy weight (also guided by a nutritionist). She wants to maintain her weight.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I don't think any actor has ever received kudos for losing weight for a role. I remember when Matthew Mcconaughey lost a bunch of weight for Dallas Buyers Club and people were shocked at how he looked (and not in a good way). There actually was an uproar. Same with Bale, but on a much lower scale only because back then we weren't as infatuated with movie stars every move the way the public seems to be now. When actors do lose such big amounts of weight, they are also under extremely close watch and guided by nutritionists every day. And none of them do it to win money, they do it to enscapsulate a role they are playing. They also aren't on a weight loss show that millions of people watch using them for inspiration.

No one looked at Christian Bale and wanted to know what he did so that they could do it too, for example. But I guarantee you there are lots of young girls wanting to do whatever it was Rachel did.

Also remember Rachel chose to do this for a permanent look. The others went back to a healthy weight (also guided by a nutritionist). She wants to maintain her weight.
    Beg to differ, when I looked up how Christian Bale lost his weight he did it on his own.

Regarding Bale...

“I didn’t look at the script and think, ‘Oh my God, I get a chance to lose weight for this movie. Yes!”’ Bale, 30, told the San Francisco Chronicle in Sunday’s editions. “That would have been moronic. It was a matter of me liking the script so much that I wanted to achieve what I felt was necessary.”

Within 9 months he had reached his goal weight of 110 pounds and his rapid 63 pound weight loss is considered the most weight lost by any actor for a movie role. For his next role after “The Machinist”, Bale reversed the process and gained 100 pounds.

Doctors would not allow him to go beyond 110 pounds out of fear that he might cause permanent damage to his health.

Doctors were watching him. And again - he wasn't doing it to win money, nor would he ever be considered a role model to young girls. Bale is kinda crazy though lol.

Depends what source you read ... you can get totally conflicting stories:

Christian Bale's Weight Loss for The Machinist: This Dedicated Actor Lost a Whopping 63 Pounds to Play the Lead in This Movie - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

When The Machinist was first being talked about after its release in festivals around the country, the talk amidst all movie-goers was Christian Bale's dramatic weight loss. Standing 6' exactly (according to IMDb.com) and normally weighing in at 185 pounds, it was a shock to view his body withering away in this role.

He lost a staggering 63 pounds for the role. Much to my surprise, it wasn't at the advice of director, Brad Anderson. Anderson is quoted as saying he never requested Bale lose as much weight as he did. I was completely shocked by this because if this wasn't at the request or demand of the director, then why in the world would you care to lose that much meat off of your bones?!

In reading an article about this topic, Christian Bale answers questions about his mind-boggling weight loss for his role as Trevor Reznik (no relation to the lead singer of Nine Inch Nails). Bale states that he never thought, at the time, that his dramatic weight loss would pose any health threat to his body. He is quoted as saying, "I had what could be called a kind of stupid feeling of invincibility, like, 'Oh I can do it. I can manage it.' "

Thank God he did because if he didn't fill the shoes of Batman, I don't know what I would've done. His weight loss wasn't part of a specific diet or elimination of certain foods. In fact, it was the elimination of almost all foods and a lot of exercise. His exercise did not involve any type of weight lifting. He only want to lose the fat and keep from bulking up at the same time. His goal for the movie was to look like as if he had not slept for a year. I'm sure I can vouch for everyone who's seen the movie that he definitely achieved this goal.

Bale received little assistance in the way of medical attention except for one visit when initially beginning his weight loss. He was given information as to what types of things his body would lose, such as vitamins and minerals and that he should take supplements for a number of those things. After that, Bale states that he was his own guide and kept going with his weight loss. As long as he still felt okay, he would continue to loss the fat. His own physical feeling was his gauge. He was told by many people working for The Machinist that if he got his weight down to 140 - 145 that that would be okay too.

However, because Bale saw that he was able to handle his weight loss without much problem, that he would go ahead and lose another 20 pounds, bringing him down to the weight we see in the movie at 121 - 122. Bale is documented as stating, "But I was intrigued by a perverse nature of mine just to see if I can go beyond what I've been told is actually safe and OK, and see if I could push the limits." It is said that Bale wanted to lost another 20 pounds even after reaching 121! I'm almost positive that in profile view of his body, it would disappear before all movie-goers eyes.

Christian Bale has said that his severe weight loss did create a change in his mood and emotions. He felt very "serene and calm" for the majority of the filming for The Machinist. It didn't seem to create much problem for him until he began to bulk up for the role of Batman in Batman Begins. He gained a shocking 100 pounds within the span of five months! He was definitely was adding a lot of stress on his body and his heart.

He has that he feels good now and that he would never go as far as he did for The Machinist again because at some point, it becomes stupid and more of a joke. Bale has stated that he doesn't want to be "that guy" that loses weight for all his movie roles and because of that, he'll make sure to steer clear of anything that asks him to lose a third of his body weight.

Because of Christian Bale's highly publicized weight loss for The Machinist, he has been compared to the likes of Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull (who gained about 60 pounds) and Charlize Theron for lead role in Monster. Even though it is a great way to gain recognition as a professional and dedicated actor, you have to wonder - was it worth it to lose that much weight for this particular role?

After watching The Machinist, I would have to say I'm not quite sure. The movie is by no means on the scale of Batman Begins in terms of its soaring popularity but The Machinist is its own movie and Christian Bale felt moved enough to lose weight because of his belief in what this movie is and could become. If any are interested in watching The Machinist, I won't give anything away. I will say this though, it is a darker movie that can be a bit slow paced at times.

I'm very tempted to say that if Fight Club and Memento combined forces, The Machinist would be born except it would be born without a superb ending like the previously mentioned. In any event, it contains great acting by everyone in it. It is a bit disturbing at times only because looking at Bale can be a bit painful. It's almost as if you're waiting for a bone to stop within the thin stretch of skin barely covering his bones.

You have to hand it to him, though. He's extremely dedicated and will follow through on what he feels is important for his movies and his acting career. Can't say I have anything to complain about.

Jillian Michaels has finally commented on Rachel's weight loss...

Michaels finally opens up about the Season 15 winner

Celebrity gossip, news, photos and more on MSN Entertainment

Jillian Michaels was just as shocked. The "Biggest Loser" trainer finally opened up about Season 15 winner Rachel Frederickson's dramatic weight loss, noting that she had no idea that the former high school swimmer had dropped a staggering 155 pounds by the show's series finale.

"Nobody told me like, 'Oh hey, Rachel is very, very thin.' Bob [Harper] and I had no idea," Michaels, 40, told HuffPost Live in a recent Skype interview. "Nobody had told us. Nobody had said anything to us. So yes, I was stunned. Obviously I thought she had lost too much weight."

During the reality competition's live finale on Feb. 4, Michaels and fellow trainer Harper, 48, looked visibly stunned when contestant Frederickson, 24, revealed her stick-thin figure. When Frederickson appeared, Michaels could be seen mouthing "Oh my God" several times on camera.

"I was immediately concerned and wondering how this happened," the Biggest Loser vet continued to HuffPo. Frederickson, a 5-foot-4 former competitive swimmer, came in at 105 pounds, and went from a size 20 to a size 0/2. But according to Michaels, trainers are allowed to keep in touch with contestants once they continue trying to drop the weight at home; she acknowledges Frederickson somehow slipped through the cracks after the show's filming ended.

"In my opinion, this had fallen through those checks and balances," she continued. "With that said, anybody who gains too much weight or loses too much weight, ironically these are manifestations of the same issue. It simply means that somebody is utilizing their relationship with food to manage emotions that are painful, hard, difficult to face or control."
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-01-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Can someone who is good at math figure out how many pounds Rachel could have kept on and still won? She lost 62 percent and both men lost 52 percent.

+ Reply to Thread