+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 9 - 12/10 *SPOILERS*

FORT Fogey

Re: Season 15 Episode 9 - 12/10 *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Right...you do lose weight rapidly at first, partly because often you are in the hospital post surgery (depending on the kind of surgery) and they are restricting your diet for you, but also in the period right after, because you really can't fit much regular food in. But...you can gradually stretch your stomach again I believe, and/or eat high calorie non bulky things like milkshakes.
    What is amazing to me is that your blood sugar immediately returns to normal, even before you lose weight. It isn't because you aren't eating, as if you have blood sugar issues and are so bad you need drugs/insulin your blood sugar will go up even if you don't eat if you don't take the meds.
    Things I learned in my recent research

* Gastric bypass is the prefered option if you have diatetes. Your blood sugar returns to normal. The small intestine is bypassed. That only happens with this proceedure.

* You cannot stretch your stomach. You could, in theory, eat a tremendous amount and burst the incision but unlikely.

* You can gain weight by eating too much but not at once. Too many small meals will have that same effect.

* These proceedures are done laparoscopically so recovery time is quick. You have to follow a soft diet for a period of time as you heal.

* There is no special diet to follow. Eating well is, of course, what we all should be doing.

These proceedures put you in a position that many of us fight to achieve. That being, eat what you want but keep portions small. It is a calorie game no matter how you choose to do it. Eat less, move more. Why is that so elusive?
    Last edited by Shoepie; 12-15-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    PWS likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Thanks for those details, shoepie--very helpful.
    Yeah, why is it so elusive? We all know it, we just don't do it....

FORT Fogey

I also found out that if you over do carbs and/or sugar you could have dumping. That is diarrhea often with cramping and pain.

There are lots of side effects and I have read articles where folks totally regret ever doing the procedure.

They may do the surgery laparoscopically now but not when they first started.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    There are lots of side effects and I have read articles where folks totally regret ever doing the procedure.

They may do the surgery laparoscopically now but not when they first started.
    Yes, proceedures have come a long way. I think it is a trade off for the morbidly obese. Die young vs dealing with side effects.

An individual is considered morbidly obese if he or she is 100 pounds over his/her ideal body weight, has a BMI of 40 or more, or 35 or more and experiencing obesity-related health conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
    quote is from here

What is Morbid Obesity - Bariatric Surgery Center - Highland Hospital - University of Rochester Medical Center

I am grateful that I only deal with a 25 pound swing. That is hard enough, I cannot imagine how difficult it must be when you have 100 or more to lose.

I have been yo-yoing much of my 30s and 40s. I am finally (hopefully) on track with portion control. I eat what I want just way less of it than I might want to eat. The weight is coming off extremely slowly but it is coming off. I have had super fast loss in the past with other diets that I never am able to sustain. I am working on losing the last 40 now.
    PWS and Shoepie like this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I have been yo-yoing much of my 30s and 40s. I am finally (hopefully) on track with portion control. I eat what I want just way less of it than I might want to eat. The weight is coming off extremely slowly but it is coming off. I have had super fast loss in the past with other diets that I never am able to sustain. I am working on losing the last 40 now.
    My fingers are crossed and I am wishing you the best of luck.
    tbamom likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Was at a Christmas party at a friend's house--the only real life person I can talk about this show with--and we both went on and on about how much more pleasant this season is, that maybe the producers have finally gotten it, that we want to root for everyone, not like Survivor or TAR. That we don't need someone to hate.
    I did feel like a Grinch when I suggested that there might have been a little finagling to keep Ruben on the show an extra week. She was shocked that Jillian would "cheat".
    Shoepie and tbamom like this.

It is fun when you can find RL people to chat with about your favourite reality shows. It doesn't need to be a dirty secret that you enjoy them. I don't have anyone that watches BL.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    It is fun when you can find RL people to chat with about your favourite reality shows. It doesn't need to be a dirty secret that you enjoy them. I don't have anyone that watches BL.
    I don't have RL friends who watch reality tv either. When I move to Phoenix a goal is to find friends who watch these shows! Not sure how to go about that other than wear a t-shirt that says "I love reality tv." Maybe I will be approached in the grocery store.
    PWS likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast