+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 9 - 12/10 *SPOILERS*

Re: Season 15 Episode 9 - 12/10 *SPOILERS*

While I congratulate anyone who can successfully lose 112 lbs I sincerely hope Ruben can get into the 200s and stay there for his health. He is still about 100 lbs overweight at 350. I do wish him luck.
    NCLurker likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

One of the greatest transformations I remember from this show is Pete from the second or third season.

It would be nice for Ruben to pull off as close of a surprise at the finale.

FORT Fogey

Ruben has been doing some talk shows. He looks better but still obese. I don't see him making it very far below 300 if he can even get that far. He may be a good candidate for surgery. Graham Elliot got a gastric sleeve and looks fabulous. He still has a way to go but the difference is remarkable.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Gov. Christie is looking much better as well. For some that may be the way to go. On the other hand, if he can 150 lbs. on diet and exercise I'd hope he'd be able to keep going. There are some side effects to that surgery...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Gov. Christie is looking much better as well. For some that may be the way to go. On the other hand, if he can 150 lbs. on diet and exercise I'd hope he'd be able to keep going. There are some side effects to that surgery...
    He can, but will he? He has lost a lot in the past but gained it right back. It is a drastic solution but he might need to go that route or die young. I think of John Candy and Chris Farley. Ruben is still huge even after his recent loss.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Sadly people can gain back weight even after the surgery if they don't follow the diet....

To the Point

Sadly people can gain back weight even after the surgery if they don't follow the diet....
    Yes they will and then the weight gain can be even more dangerous than before the surgery!

FORT Fogey

Yes, Carnie Wilson has done that and just had a second surgery. Carnie Wilson Has 2nd Bariatric Surgery: Is Surgery Ever the Right Choice? | FUdiet: The Science of Weight Loss, Nutrition, and Fitness

I researched the differences between gastric sleeve, lap band and gastric bypass. I was curious if Graham Elliot would have problems tasting the food on Master Chef. He will not. He had a gastric sleeve and there is no dumping. He will just have to take smaller bites so he does not get full too fast.

From what I have read while surgery drastically reduces the size of your stomach you still have to follow a sensible diet and exercise, surgery is just part of the weight loss program, candidates have to address nutrition, exercise, see a therapist and be in a support group. If folks don't do all aspects of the program and make permanent changes in their lifestyles they will gain weight back. Unfortunately, folks put their blinkers on and think surgery is a quick fix and that they don't have to change anything they do "it will just happen" and they will be skinny and healthy.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Right...you do lose weight rapidly at first, partly because often you are in the hospital post surgery (depending on the kind of surgery) and they are restricting your diet for you, but also in the period right after, because you really can't fit much regular food in. But...you can gradually stretch your stomach again I believe, and/or eat high calorie non bulky things like milkshakes.
    What is amazing to me is that your blood sugar immediately returns to normal, even before you lose weight. It isn't because you aren't eating, as if you have blood sugar issues and are so bad you need drugs/insulin your blood sugar will go up even if you don't eat if you don't take the meds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast