+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 5 - 11/12 *SPOILERS*

Re: Season 15 Episode 5 - 11/12 *SPOILERS*

Since there has been no drama this season, maybe TPTB are trying to develop some with this caffeine controversy.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Fair doesn't take into account the fact that people & circumstances are different.
    I always get mad when someone else decides what is "fair". Usually it's not. Someone gets a free ride who shouldn't get one.

Although, I still absolutely hated the gameplay/backstab aspect & am glad it's gone. I just don't feel this is the type of show for that.
    I agree. I love the red line.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    As for the whole Jillian drama, I'm withholding judgement until I know exactly what it is she gave them. The show & everything I've read seems to be very vague about this.

If it was literally caffeine pills, as in NoDoz or something like that, with a concentrated somewhat substantial amount of straight caffeine, then I agree with the show. That stuff isn't healthy & can have side effects for a lot of people, including being addictive.

However, it may have been Green Coffee Bean Extract, a relatively new fad in over the counter very mild weightloss products. Each pill has about as much caffeine as about 1/4 of a cup (2oz) of coffee. There are other factors involved with the "green" & "extract" things that help with the weightloss, not the caffeine.
    Supposedly some people swear by these things & they are supposedly all natural & side effect free. I know a bit about these because I looked into them, although haven't tried them. Most of the information out there is quite biased & put out there by the companies selling them, so it's hard to find objective information.
    I'd love to see a few real Doctors & nutritionalists' opinions.

Anyhow, if it is these green coffee extract things, I would tend to side more toward Jillian, providing the contestants were given full information as to what they were taking.
    Dr OZ endorses green tea extract. He tells you what to look for in the pills you choose but will never put his name on a product. I just ordered some.

They are different than a caffiene supplement.

I tried caffeine as a teenager to study and I was so shaky and sick. I was also super tiny then so maybe it was just too much for me.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I hate the word fair, just saying.

Every obese person needs help. The women are chosen for most impact at the finale. Women with body types that can attain slender waists are chosen. You never see an apple body type. As far as men go that is more elusive, to me. Good looking faces and the potential to look good is at the top of the list, clearly. Ruben has the celeb factor as does the olympian weight lifter though I could care less about that, as most do. Oh goody, the olymics are this year and I cannot wait to see masculine fat women lift hundreds of pounds! Whoo hoo, not. I know I will be blasted for this. Bring it on. It is merely my opinion.
    ACK! I meant to say muscular women, not masculine. Masculine sounds homophobic which is far from my truth.

FWIW, this is Jillian's Facebook post about Caffeinegate.
    Thanks so much for all your support. It means the world. I know you want to hear from me on this, but I am under a contract which prohibits me from truly discussing the matter in detail. Here are the facts. Caffeine is allowed on the show. Caffeine supplements have been used on previous seasons of the show. I did not ask permission to give the contestants the supplement. That was a "rules violation" allowing the producers to make the decisions they made. The supplement I gave the contestants is totally legal and all natural. It contains less caffeine than a tall coffee. There is no other metabolic agent in it and nothing in it the contestants don't have access to. From here you will have to form your own conclusions. Much love.
    I have a hard time believing this idiocy was anything but a reason to put Ruben back on the show. Fair enough (sorry, Shoepie ). Ruben is a reality celeb and needed for ratings. I don't know that someone had to get thrown under the bus in order to bring him back, but it is what it is. I like Ruben and frankly, I think that anyone who eats enough to become such a gargantuan size (and he admitted his most recent gain was his own doing) has a serious eating disorder and needs all the help that people can throw at him.

I am also very much okay with the female weightlifter being a part of the show. One thing that drives me mental is the repulsion that muscular women seem to inspire. Somehow, these women, who are incredibly dedicated and committed to their sport and their fitness, are fair game for ridicule - yet we have to be careful not to make derogatory comments about the overweight. Something is really wrong with that. I think Holly has the opportunity to represent a strong female who has the guts to step outside the traditional boundaries of what a woman can do physically, and be a role model for girls. Young women are constantly bombarded by crappy media images of women who are half-starved, cosmetically "enhanced", and indulge in putrid public social behaviour. Here we have an Olympian - a phenomenal achievement on it's own - who is fighting to become a better elite athlete through better eating and fitness. She might be the most aspirational BL ever.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I don't see see Holly as ever being just muscular. It's not just because she's a woman. I don't think any of those weightlifters, man or woman, looks muscular. To me, they just have a lot of weight, be it fat or muscle, to lift that kind of weight. I know plenty of actual weight lifters who have amazing, yet lean muscular bodies. You don't need to look like a mac truck in order to lift the weight of one. Holly isn't any more inspirational than any other fat person trying to lose weight.

Of course there is no need to go the way of the anorexic looking, but to me, each is an extreme, and neither one of them is healthy.
    Shoepie and CrazyDutchWoman like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I assume that's why Bob had the sexy looking women weight lifters on, so Holly would not feel she couldn't lift if she were thinner....
    Shoepie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I don't see see Holly as ever being just muscular. It's not just because she's a woman. I don't think any of those weightlifters, man or woman, looks muscular. To me, they just have a lot of weight, be it fat or muscle, to lift that kind of weight. I know plenty of actual weight lifters who have amazing, yet lean muscular bodies. You don't need to look like a mac truck in order to lift the weight of one. Holly isn't any more inspirational than any other fat person trying to lose weight.

Of course there is no need to go the way of the anorexic looking, but to me, each is an extreme, and neither one of them is healthy.
    I don't want to argue the point, but I am flabbergasted that you don't think Olympic weightlifters are muscular. Also, they are most certainly "actual weightlifters". We're not talking about bodybuilders, which is not the same thing at all. (No disrespect to bodybuilders, as they work very hard as well - but they do not train to lift as worldwide competitors.)
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post

I agree. Fat is fat and not good. I say this from a point of fighting 20 to 30 pounds my entire adult life.

To bring in the argument of anorexic in any conversation about overweight is skirting the issue. They are not related. One is a psycological skew and the other a different issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast