+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 5 - 11/12 *SPOILERS*

FORT Fogey

Re: Season 15 Episode 5 - 11/12 *SPOILERS*

I like the new format. My interest lies in the challenges and weigh ins. I dislike the cooking segments, workouts, long speeches and coach counseling.

I love the fast pace of the weigh ins! And, of course, the red line is the only way to go.

As the numbers dwindle there will be more time for all those things I don't like, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Really, they are punishing Jillian for breaking the rules. Who are you kidding? The viewers are not stupid, I think a lot of us suspect all kinds of things go on behind the scenes. If this is the producers thinking they can show they are above board please we all know they are smoking crack (Tim Gunn reference).
    I'm glad someone else noticed this giant farce and called it like it was--nothing but a sham to bring Reuben back and create drama!

If you ever watch any behind the scenes stuff for TBL you see the trainers aren't there a lot--they come in for workouts for just a few hours and go on about their lives off the ranch. This means that whenever they are ON THE RANCH the cameramen and cameras (which are already there 24-7 anyhow) go wacky as they get a large majority of their show footage from these interactions with the trainers. So, it's a safe bet that unless Jillian was sneaking into the bathroom over and over again with her contestants they have known that she believes in people taking supplements and drining water instead of drinking tons of caffeine. Jillian actually uses caffeine in most of her supplements (many folks do) and I suspect that everything is constantly monitored by the physicians on staff (not just Dr. McCreepy). This was really nothing more than a ploy to bring back Reuben and create more talk about the show.
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.

I like the Red Line eliminations. It's the only way it's fair. It makes the contestants realize that the only way they'll stay every single week is to play by the rules, work hard, & loose the weight. No figuring out a way to slide for a week & have a big loss the next, simply because of who you plot with.

I hated the game play/backstab part in past seasons. It made me dislike the contestants. This is supposed to be a feel good/accomplishment show, not a backstab/alliance/gameplay one. The red line eliminates that.

I also don't mind the fact that only a few people have actually gone home this season.
    It always bothered me that these contestants make it on the show & don't even have a chance to reap the benefits.
    Ultimately it's an entertainment show, but these are people's lives & health. They wouldn't make it on the show if they didn't really need the help. The money at the end is a big incentive, but that's all it is. The point is to lose weight & get healthy. I doubt anyone deliberately puts on 150+ pounds & packs it around for years, simply in order to get on the show & win the money.
    NFL1 and NCLurker like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I like the Red Line eliminations. It's the only way it's fair. It makes the contestants realize that the only way they'll stay every single week is to play by the rules, work hard, & loose the weight. No figuring out a way to slide for a week & have a big loss the next, simply because of who you plot with.

I hated the game play/backstab part in past seasons. It made me dislike the contestants. This is supposed to be a feel good/accomplishment show, not a backstab/alliance/gameplay one. The red line eliminates that.

I also don't mind the fact that only a few people have actually gone home this season.
    It always bothered me that these contestants make it on the show & don't even have a chance to reap the benefits.
    Ultimately it's an entertainment show, but these are people's lives & health. They wouldn't make it on the show if they didn't really need the help. The money at the end is a big incentive, but that's all it is. The point is to lose weight & get healthy. I doubt anyone deliberately puts on 150+ pounds & packs it around for years, simply in order to get on the show & win the money.
    I hate the word fair, just saying.

Every obese person needs help. The women are chosen for most impact at the finale. Women with body types that can attain slender waists are chosen. You never see an apple body type. As far as men go that is more elusive, to me. Good looking faces and the potential to look good is at the top of the list, clearly. Ruben has the celeb factor as does the olympian weight lifter though I could care less about that, as most do. Oh goody, the olymics are this year and I cannot wait to see masculine fat women lift hundreds of pounds! Whoo hoo, not. I know I will be blasted for this. Bring it on. It is merely my opinion.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 11-14-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.

The only apple body type I ever remember was the chatty dark-haired white woman from last season--she drove me crazy so I think I blanked out her name. Pam, maybe? She went home around midseason and looked just OK at the finale, IMHO. However, if she significantly reduced her waist circumference, she probably gained greater health benefits than the glamour girls who just had a lot of weight on their thighs and butt.

I guess I read the Jillian bust all wrong. I thought it was an attempt by the producers to a) stir up some controversy and b) humiliate her. I don't think she's had a seamless entry back to the show since her break. In the past, she and Bob were undoubtedly the core of the show in terms of trainers, but I think Dolvett has broken into the circle. I recall seeing her, Bob, and Dolvett on a talk show once, and she was outright catty to him. I've always thought a lot of her aggression covers her insecurity.

Anyway, if I'm wrong and this was all about getting Ruben back, I'm disappointed that she went along with the ruse.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Fair doesn't take into account the fact that people & circumstances are different.
    I always get mad when someone else decides what is "fair". Usually it's not. Someone gets a free ride who shouldn't get one.

Although, I still absolutely hated the gameplay/backstab aspect & am glad it's gone. I just don't feel this is the type of show for that.
    Shoepie likes this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

There's no such thing as fair.

As for the whole Jillian drama, I'm withholding judgement until I know exactly what it is she gave them. The show & everything I've read seems to be very vague about this.

If it was literally caffeine pills, as in NoDoz or something like that, with a concentrated somewhat substantial amount of straight caffeine, then I agree with the show. That stuff isn't healthy & can have side effects for a lot of people, including being addictive.

However, it may have been Green Coffee Bean Extract, a relatively new fad in over the counter very mild weightloss products. Each pill has about as much caffeine as about 1/4 of a cup (2oz) of coffee. There are other factors involved with the "green" & "extract" things that help with the weightloss, not the caffeine.
    Supposedly some people swear by these things & they are supposedly all natural & side effect free. I know a bit about these because I looked into them, although haven't tried them. Most of the information out there is quite biased & put out there by the companies selling them, so it's hard to find objective information.
    I'd love to see a few real Doctors & nutritionalists' opinions.

Anyhow, if it is these green coffee extract things, I would tend to side more toward Jillian, providing the contestants were given full information as to what they were taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post

Every obese person needs help. The women are chosen for most impact at the finale. Women with body types that can attain slender waists are chosen. You never see an apple body type. As far as men go that is more elusive, to me. Good looking faces and the potential to look good is at the top of the list, clearly. Ruben has the celeb factor as does the olympian weight lifter though I could care less about that, as most do. Oh goody, the olymics are this year and I cannot wait to see masculine fat women lift hundreds of pounds! Whoo hoo, not. I know I will be blasted for this. Bring it on. It is merely my opinion.

There have been several not many but several...Pam is one and there was a tall hispanic woman several seasons ago. But pear shapes with pretty faces and small bosoms seem to be the preferred type.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast