+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 4 - 11/05 *SPOILERS*

Re: Season 15 Episode 4 - 11/05 *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Shoepie, thanks for that link. Very interesting article. I don't watch this show but a Fort friend told me about the link as she knows I have experienced much of what is going on here.

Mesachick, yes, it's good to know your body and do what's best for you, but if I could just play devil's advocate here for a minute...

I started a weight loss plan this past April. I have currently lost 76 pounds. This is the least I have weighed in a good 20 years or more. I am finding that eating very small meals every 3 hours DOES boost metabolism. I had tried crash diets infrequently in the past but always gave up. The thing is I ALWAYS had a big breakfast but then would never eat for hours on end, sometimes as much as 6 hours or more would go by and I would not eat. I just rarely felt hunger. My son, who is lean, vegetarian, and fairly knowledgeable about nutrition, would chide me and tell me to eat every 2 hours to 3 hours or so...a handful of nuts, an ounce or so of low-fat cheese, a piece of fruit. I never listened. I wasn't hungry. My Italian-American style of cooking didn't help matters any as a 1/2 cup serving of pasta was laughable, imo. It wasn't so much that I was gluttonous in my eating habits, as most days lunch would be a yogurt at around 3 pm, but that the things I DID eat were highly caloric. That, plus the fact I was basically sedentary did me in. I am coming out of my hermit like existence. I still can't walk much and anticipate knee replacement surgery next year. I am on the exercise bike every other day. I was doing 30 minutes a day, but experienced a month long plateau in July, much like what the article shoepie provided says. My daily caloric intake is around 950 calories. I am on a meal replacement diet, which provides 5, 110 calorie meals a day and I cook my own "lean and green" dinner of around 400 calories. Tonight's dinner is 7 oz of baked tilapia, and 2 cups of garden salad with 2 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp balsamic vinegar.

It sounds counterintuitive that a restricted caloric intake plus increased exercise would slow one's metabolism down, but that is exactly what happened to me. Coupled with the fact that I was already prone to water retention and swelling in my feet/ankles, I was losing fat, but not pounds. It's disheartening. What finally broke the month long plateau was throwing caution to the wind, not measuring my olive oil/balsamic dressing and eating chicken francese, which is not allowed on this diet. No carbs, no fruit, no dairy.

Weight loss has slowed down, but I am still losing about 8 pounds a month. I want to lose about 50 more. I give these contestants a lot of credit. I would never be able to put my body through the rigorous exercising they do. At the ripe old age of 56 and being so inactive for so long, I fear I would have a heart attack if I attempted what they are doing. The positives to losing 76 pounds are numerous... I feel so much better and am finally getting out into the world again. I can stand for longer periods of time, walking better without my cane, and have gone down at least 3 sizes now and able to buy clothing in regular stores, and not plus-sized.

Eastcoastmom, congratulations on your weight loss. Amazing how easy it is to put on and how hard to take off. You are an inspiration, well to me, because I hope your success will rub off on to me.

I really like Chris Powell's books about carb cycling. The basic premise is your body gets used to the lower amount of calories and it is a good idea to occasionally eat more as it confuses the body and it won't go into automatically conserving it's normal body functions due to low energy input ( less food ) making it harder to lose weight.
    PWS, Shoepie and Eastcoastmom like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

So nice to see Binngo and his family. It's great to see that he continued eating healthy and being active and he obvious lost more weight. Luv'ed that his mom has lost 80lbs and his dad 100lb. Great to see that the entire family supported each other and to see the results.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Eastcoast, 8 pounds a month is a good speed to lose. I, too, reccomend reading Chris Powell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Eastcoast, 8 pounds a month is a good speed to lose. I, too, reccomend reading Chris Powell.
    Seconded! (Or maybe thirded.) I had 10 lbs to lose, and it's coming off sooo slowly...only halfway there after many months. On the other hand, I really feel like my body has reset itself, and that old weight is permanently a thing of the past so long as I'm careful.

FORT Fogey

One thing I do on a low carb diet is use Atkins Advantage Bars for a hit of sweet. Paleo eating is much to pure to allow that but it really helps with cravings and I have never suffered ill effects. God send, those things.

Congrats to everyone who is losing weight! I am trying to get rid of 10 pounds as well but my body doesn't want to let it go lol. Every pound is a struggle! I tell ya, menopause sucks! The second I started, the second I started getting the dreaded belly weight. I work out almost every day, eat mostly veggies with some protein. I also make sure to have a goal to keep me moving. Right now it's running half marathons, with my main goal of running my first marathon in 2015. I know I will never have my 30 year old body again, but I want to look damn good for being 50 lol.
    lizardcat likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I was really disappointed to see Ruben go. He really needed to be there longer. Sometimes I think need is more important than numbers.
    He's lost a substantial amount of weight before, but as soon as it was gone, went back to the old habits. He needed to learn to change those habits. Not by extreme workouts every day, but by learning daily exercise of some sort & learning to eat the "right" foods. Not as part of a diet, but as the way he'll continue to live his life.

Too many people go on a diet or exercise program to lose weight, & once the diet or program has run it's course, they think it's over so they can go back to what they did before.
    I think we've all heard that saying that diets don't work. They are temporary. It's a change in habits & patterns that work.

I think it may have been Richard Simmons that said that you don't "diet", you "live it".

I'm afraid that Ruben just wasn't there long enough to learn that. We'll see at the finale.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Congrats to everyone who is losing weight! I am trying to get rid of 10 pounds as well but my body doesn't want to let it go lol. Every pound is a struggle! I tell ya, menopause sucks! The second I started, the second I started getting the dreaded belly weight. I work out almost every day, eat mostly veggies with some protein. I also make sure to have a goal to keep me moving. Right now it's running half marathons, with my main goal of running my first marathon in 2015. I know I will never have my 30 year old body again, but I want to look damn good for being 50 lol.
    Try doing Fit for Life for a couple of weeks and give yourself some carbs to jog things. I am working on taking off 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Try doing Fit for Life for a couple of weeks and give yourself some carbs to jog things. I am working on taking off 20.
    The only thing I found regarding Fit for Life is a program that costs $400. Did you mean something else?
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    The only thing I found regarding Fit for Life is a program that costs $400. Did you mean something else?
    No, it is a book! Google "food combining" and you get all the information you need without even buying a book. Basically: fruit only in the morning until noon if you are hungry (no bananas). And that is the only time fruit is allowed. If you eat a starch of any kind do not eat protein with it; you can have fat. When protein is eaten, only do this with vegetables and fat allowed.

I used to have a bagel sandwich for lunch with garlic mayo and lots of vegetables. Dinner was protein and a vegetable. I did this as a break from Atkins back when that was the only low carb deal in town. Now I use Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson and every 5 days do this because I crave bread too much and it derails me. I do notice how tired I become after eating white flour but hey, it is a passion. He allows gluten free starches like quinoa and potatoes but bread is my thing.

Go to amazon and put in food combining and you see a list of books with good reviews and you only have to pay about 7 bucks to have a reference handy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast