+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

Another non-runner here. I ran obsessively in my 20s and destroyed my feet--I'm very lucky I can walk for exercise, because that was off the table for years. What works for me best--because it's one thing I know I can do--is to wear a pedometer, set a step goal, and make sure I move throughout the day. Maybe one walk expressly for exercise, but otherwise adding walking to my day wherever I can.

That said, if I could run, I would, because the endorphin rush was like nothing else I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    And I will add that cardio is not really intended for a calorie burn. It is for heart and overall health. Losing weight is 80% diet. I have a friend who does 2 spinning classes back to back 5 days a week and is still heavy. She is a vegetarian and fallen into the habit of eating waaaaay too many carbs, especially bread.

Walking 30 minutes a day and eating low carb works like a charm.

I sound like a broken record (sorry) but I would love to see the contestants divided into 2 groups. One stays on the Biggest Loser diet and the other Paleo eating and watch how much diet has to do with it. Each trainer would have half on each eating plan.
    There is zero chance that the show will endorse any fad diet (sorry, but that's all that Paleo, Atkins, etc., are - next year there will be something else, it has been going on for decades and why wouldn't it, considering how much money the diet industry makes). I don't like TBL's crappy endorsement segments, but I am quite sure the reason they don't show a lot of the eating part of the ranch is because they are using whole foods instead of name-brand products. At any rate, it is pointless to have them on two "diets" because the contestants succeed at a 100% rate - at the finale, everyone has lost weight. If it's not broken why fix it?

dagwood, ellipticals are generally considered a more joint-friendly cardio type of workout, but it's not a one-size-fits-all. For instance, I find my bad knee acts up on a stationary bike and back-lunges, but it rarely gives me trouble when I run. If cardio-type workouts consistently bother your knees (and even walking can irritate them), I would consult with a doctor and a physiotherapist. Personally, I am a big fan of physiotherapy, because it's all about how to exercise to alleviate pain and avoid further damage. My 80-year-old mom had a bad fall about 10 years ago and has faithfully performed all the exercises recommended by her physio, and has been pain-free and active ever since.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Low carb eating is not a fad; it has been around since the 50s if not before. Remember those old diets that asked you to eat cottage cheese, a hamburger patty and one melba toast?

Atkins capitalized on it and the new term now is paleo. There are plenty of studies out there that have shown it to be a favorable way to eat for general health and an efficient way to lose weight.

Actually the Paleo diet doesn't directly deal with carbs vs no carbs. The Paleo diet wants you to follow the same diet that the cavemen did. Nothing processed (that is the real key for this diet). Eat Clean, Eat Green - type of idea.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Actually the Paleo diet doesn't directly deal with carbs vs no carbs. The Paleo diet wants you to follow the same diet that the cavemen did. Nothing processed (that is the real key for this diet). Eat Clean, Eat Green - type of idea.
    Yes, it allows carbs, just no grains. I eat this way and know it well. There is a chapter on weight loss in Primal Blueprint that suggests not to eat potatoes (both sweet and white) and quinoa, etc, if loss is your goal. It includes good fats, no dairy and your plate should be 1/3 protein and 2/3 vegetables unlike Atkins. Many assume the diets are the same. It is gluten free, as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345