+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

  1. #31
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,583

    Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I've never tried an eliptical machine---is it supposed to be easier on the knees than a treadmill, but not burn as many calories? We hardly ever see it on the show even though this last show his team said it was one of Dolvett's favorite machines.
    First of all treadmills are easier on the knees than running on concrete or asphalt as they have floating platforms. Elliptical can actually burn more calories than a treadmill because you are using your arms as well as your legs and yes it is easy on the knees, ankles and hips. I have also using rowing machines and they are killer calorie burners as well as great at getting a great cardio workout because again you are using your entire body. The hardest cardio machine I have ever used is the stepmill which is a combination step machine and treadmill; you are constantly climbing stairs.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  2. #32
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

    I like having the red line every week. It has stopped water loading and those maudlin speeches as they voted. I hated that.

    I don't care that Ruben has had come celebrity, he is just one in the bunch. He has already had help and lost a lot but then gained it back. Some succeed, others do not.

    I would like 90 minutes as long as they didn't fill that time with their workouts. I would like to see what they do at the ranch when not working out. I am not that interested in what they eat either because the diet is all over the internet; it is a basic low cal/low fat.

    I want more temptation challenges! With the red line it makes it much more valuable to get that extra pound or two advantage.

    I bet we will see some big losses this week.
    captain likes this.

  3. #33
    PWS
    PWS is online now
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,119

    Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

    What I'm particiularly glad is gone is most of those "....and his weight is..... commercial....rehash of previous weight, how much he needs to lose to save self/team, and back to ...and his weight is..." redundancies---drove me absolutely nuts.
    Thanks for the info, Bearcata---I have a treadmill at home, in front of the TV which helps with the boredom factor, which is better for me because, as you say, it is easier on the feet, and since I have balance issues better for that than our potholed local roads. But maybe the elliptical would be a better investment....

  4. #34
    Shark Week! dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    18,896

    Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I've never tried an eliptical machine---is it supposed to be easier on the knees than a treadmill, but not burn as many calories? We hardly ever see it on the show even though this last show his team said it was one of Dolvett's favorite machines.
    I have heard that it is supposed to be easier on the knees, but when I had one it hurt my knees more than the treadmill.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  5. #35
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,583

    Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    I have heard that it is supposed to be easier on the knees, but when I had one it hurt my knees more than the treadmill.
    You have to try different makes and models and ask where you are supposed to put your feet etc ...

    It's like shoes and bras ... different manufacturers use criteria as to who their customer is and what size or shape they are the only way to find out what fits you is to try the machine.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  6. #36
    FORT Fogey mesachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my horse.
    Posts
    3,018

    Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    First of all treadmills are easier on the knees than running on concrete or asphalt as they have floating platforms. Elliptical can actually burn more calories than a treadmill because you are using your arms as well as your legs and yes it is easy on the knees, ankles and hips. I have also using rowing machines and they are killer calorie burners as well as great at getting a great cardio workout because again you are using your entire body. The hardest cardio machine I have ever used is the stepmill which is a combination step machine and treadmill; you are constantly climbing stairs.
    The elliptical does not burn more calories than a treadmill. I've done both for 60 minute increments, and I've obviously watched the calorie count. Treadmill always wins. Of course you have to make sure you are doing both at the same level of intensity (here is where one might think the elliptical burns more because it is one of the easier cardio machines to use). I'd love to try a stepmill - sounds grueling lol.

    PWS - don't get an elliptical. I have one and wish all the time that I'd gotten a treadmill instead.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

  7. #37
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    What I'm particiularly glad is gone is most of those "....and his weight is..... commercial....rehash of previous weight, how much he needs to lose to save self/team, and back to ...and his weight is..." redundancies---drove me absolutely nuts.
    Thanks for the info, Bearcata---I have a treadmill at home, in front of the TV which helps with the boredom factor, which is better for me because, as you say, it is easier on the feet, and since I have balance issues better for that than our potholed local roads. But maybe the elliptical would be a better investment....
    No, don't buy one. A treadmill is better. And it makes a good bird perch but you do get droppings on the track. But he really loved doing it with me. He talked and chattered the entire time. So cute! He could hear it from the other room and if he was in his cage he had a fit until I included him. If he was out he was there in a flash.
    PWS likes this.

  8. #38
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,583

    Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    The elliptical does not burn more calories than a treadmill. I've done both for 60 minute increments, and I've obviously watched the calorie count. Treadmill always wins. Of course you have to make sure you are doing both at the same level of intensity (here is where one might think the elliptical burns more because it is one of the easier cardio machines to use). I'd love to try a stepmill - sounds grueling lol.

    PWS - don't get an elliptical. I have one and wish all the time that I'd gotten a treadmill instead.
    Just an FYI calorie counters on exercise machines are not all that accurate different manufacturers use different algorithms to calculate the burn. The best indicator of calorie burn is to use a heart rate monitor. You also have to consider the intensity and duration of the workout. I see folks hanging on to equipment all the time and that really distorts what your body actually burns vs what the machine says.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  9. #39
    FORT Fogey mesachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my horse.
    Posts
    3,018

    Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Just an FYI calorie counters on exercise machines are not all that accurate different manufacturers use different algorithms to calculate the burn. The best indicator of calorie burn is to use a heart rate monitor. You also have to consider the intensity and duration of the workout. I see folks hanging on to equipment all the time and that really distorts what your body actually burns vs what the machine says.
    Me too and it drives me nuts lol. I feel like Jillian, wanting to yell at them - don't use the side bars!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

  10. #40
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Season 15 Episode 3 - 10/29 *SPOILERS*

    And I will add that cardio is not really intended for a calorie burn. It is for heart and overall health. Losing weight is 80% diet. I have a friend who does 2 spinning classes back to back 5 days a week and is still heavy. She is a vegetarian and fallen into the habit of eating waaaaay too many carbs, especially bread.

    Walking 30 minutes a day and eating low carb works like a charm.

    I sound like a broken record (sorry) but I would love to see the contestants divided into 2 groups. One stays on the Biggest Loser diet and the other Paleo eating and watch how much diet has to do with it. Each trainer would have half on each eating plan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.