+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Biggest Loser 15

Re: Biggest Loser 15

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    This show is long overdue for a major format tweak; let's hope the shorter time brings other changes. Somehow I dont think so because they would be advertising that. I have not seen a commercial so maybe. Getting rid of Subway as a sponsor is too much to hope, I suppose.

One more vent. There is no way you can establish good eating habits for the rest of your life by eating this low fat diet. Eat fat, it is crucial for organ health, just include it in your calorie count for cryin out loud. I lost 25 pounds a couple of years ago and have maintained that. The only thing I watch are carbs and I don't totally eliminate them either.

Okay, I am done. Well, no. I am done for today.
    Huh, they don't normally suggest low fat on this show in fact eating low fat is pretty much over as a way as a life style diet most diets nowadays promote healthy fats and complex carbs.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Huh, they don't normally suggest low fat on this show in fact eating low fat is pretty much over as a way as a life style diet most diets nowadays promote healthy fats and complex carbs.
    Yes, I think the only thing they advocate eliminating is junk and/or a lot of processed foods, which is really a no-brainer. There's no real "diet".
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The don't say low fat but it is. Jenny O ground turkey, skinned chicken breasts, fish broiled with lemon only, low fat cheese, skim milk, egg whites etc.

Low fat cheese is a major processed food, as is low fat salad dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Yes, I think the only thing they advocate eliminating is junk and/or a lot of processed foods, which is really a no-brainer. There's no real "diet".
    They do count calories... and watch what they eat ... you cannot lose the amount of weight they do on this show with exercise only you have to modify your diet. Trouble with this show is that they don't really show the food plans they have to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    The don't say low fat but it is. Jenny O ground turkey, skinned chicken breasts, fish broiled with lemon only, low fat cheese, skim milk, egg whites etc.

Low fat cheese is a major processed food, as is low fat salad dressing.
    Yes, but lean protein is a no-brainer when you're in a position of needing to shed 100+ pounds. Same with skim milk products, including cheese (skim milk cheese is not the same as "processed cheese" - I put that in quotes because all store bought cheese, obviously, is processed). And any bottled salad dressing is processed, low-fat or not (I personally just use balsamic vinegar & olive oil). I don't think those are items that are hard to incorporate into a realistic lifestyle. I lost a great deal of weight about six years ago and have maintained it by following similar guidelines and becoming very invested in physical activity that I enjoy.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I think they once laid out the calorie counts...or maybe I read it in one of their cookbooks? It was something like 1200 for women and 1800 for men if I recall. Waaaay too low in my opinion. I'm surprised they have any energy to do those workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    I think they once laid out the calorie counts...or maybe I read it in one of their cookbooks? It was something like 1200 for women and 1800 for men if I recall. Waaaay too low in my opinion. I'm surprised they have any energy to do those workouts.
    But that is what a lot of diets call for a reduction of calories. The standard for men and women is 2000 calories per day with larger men ( as in tall ) eating around 2400. They are eating enough to fuel their basal metabolism and exercising 6 to 8 hours a day to burn off excess fat. What amount do you thing they should be eating???

As for energy to exercise each person on this show is carrying about 100 to 200 lbs or stored energy on their bodies. They have plenty of stored energy to complete their daily workouts.

It takes a defect of about 3,500 calories to loose one pound of body weight. So, it would be almost impossible for a healthy person to loose a large amount of weight rapidly without both reducing calories (calories in) and vigorous exercise (calories out).
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    Their published information is for a normal day with reasonable activity. I suspect that they do not say how many calories the contestants are eating because they are having more than a person with an average activity level. Just a hunch. Otherwise they would talk about their diet more.

Another thing is that it may appear that they work out more than they do. They don't say how many hours they work out. Since they are all so heavy, it appears that the workouts are more strenuous than they would be for someone of normal weight. Just walking fast on the treadmill makes them vomit. I can keep up a good pace for an hour without vomiting! I don't work out with weights or do anything grand either. So there is that.

I thought in the past they had homework from their trainers that consisted of 45min on treadmil or other cardio machine. It's been a few years since I've read that though. I also read that they work out a total of like 6hrs a day with a day off. Not sure how accurate that was or if it's still like that. If I could remember where I read that I'd post it but I don't remember.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast