+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Biggest Loser 2 hr show 1/7/13

Re: Biggest Loser 2 hr show 1/7/13

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Here is what I don't understand. I am an exercise nut...I do cardio and strength training at least 3x a week and I'm pretty strong for a female (I can bench more than my hubby ). BUT LET ME BE CLEAR...if I take a week off and go back to the gym hardcore I feel like my arms and legs will literally just fall off, and this is from someone who exercises regularly and is already strong. I still hurt sometimes after a hard workout and have to really increase my amino acid intake just to be able to freaking walk normally the next day.
    I just don't know how these folks go from completely sedentary lifestyles to these workouts without practically dying from the resulting pain and stress on the muscles and joints....they must just show us the "crazy" workouts in the editing and the contestants just walk or slowly keep moving the rest of the time because otherwise I can guarantee they could not do this!
    They showed it a bit last season and they did it on the MTV show there is lots and lots of icing to keep the inflammation down. This is only a partial answer as I don't know what else they do. I am sure that all the contestants are in lots and lots of pain.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I felt a lot worse when I was carrying around extra weight. I have maintained a 40-lb weight loss for nearly six years and my knee (Osgood-Schlatter disease as a kid, resulting in loss of fluid around my kneecap) hardly bothers me now, even after long runs. Have had problems with my IT band and plantar fascitis as a result of training but I prefer the sporadic pain over hypertension, high cholesterol, hardening of the arteries, and diabetes, which is what some of these TBL contestants are facing. Anyway, these people are checked out before they come on the show and we see contestants every season whose workouts are modified to accomodate for medical issues. In fact, it's a young guy - red-shirt team, can't recall his name - who is getting the modified workout. Most (I say "most" because there was an older fella on crutches at the challenge) of the older people are just fine. The quitter was a 20-something girl and the treadmill-divers were Nathan (25, I believe) and TC (early 30's, if I'm not mistaken).

I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative, but I'm mid-40's and I hate it when people suggest that I need to take it down a few notches because I'm old. I also took up running after 40 and I refuse to use my age as an excuse to not push hard. I have more drive and determination at this age than I did 15 years ago, and I see the same kind of attitude in many of the 40+ contestants.
    I think Nathan is the guy who's limited to walking for the moment. What I did like about that was that while he was disappointed in being so limited and worrying about his team and his place on it as a result, he didn't give up. His attitude was more like, "Well, if it's all I can do right now, at least I can do it, and if I do, I'll be able to do more later."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    There's a pool there??!!

Oh yeah...that thing that they show in the opening and closing shots and that the people who can't do "real exercise" use (but they never show them doing it). OK BL trainers....what is so wrong with showing the contestants working out in the pool? It is such great exercise and they never seem to use it. I seem to remember ONE time in all 14 seasons that they did a work-out in the pool. What a waste! In the California heat I can't imagine how hot and humid it must be to be using those new outdoor training areas- at least the gym is air-conditioned. The pool would be a refreshing change I would think.
    It's not hot and HUMID there, it's hot and DRY---note the desert like foliage when they hike around. But I agree, working out in the pool would be great for keeping your core temperature down. These people have a much worse surface to volume ratio than the trainers do--it's very easy for them to overheat, as you can see by how much they are sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    It's not hot and HUMID there, it's hot and DRY---note the desert like foliage when they hike around. But I agree, working out in the pool would be great for keeping your core temperature down. These people have a much worse surface to volume ratio than the trainers do--it's very easy for them to overheat, as you can see by how much they are sweating.
    Not to be gross, but I guess safe, normal levels of exercise don't attract the cameras; throwing up in the gym does.
    JulieAnn likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    Not to be gross, but I guess safe, normal levels of exercise don't attract the cameras; throwing up in the gym does.
    I, for one, really don't get that. What is the fascination with vomiting on reality shows? I hate throwing up myself, and I have zero desire to watch anyone else do it.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by LovesAmber View Post
    I was at the taping of the premier show and am finding I am watching this season much differently than the others. Especially watching Jillian interact. She really is like that.
    In what ways has it changed how you watch the show? And, of course, more details, please!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieAnn View Post
    In what ways has it changed how you watch the show? And, of course, more details, please!
    I'd love to know, too. I really liked Jillian in her other show--when she went to visit families and helped out one-on-one. Her manner was so different, and I think she got great results. So I assumed she did this tough-girl routine just for the BL cameras....apparently not?

Absolutely! On a positive note, I am so happy they included children this season. Great motivator for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Regarding Bingo - my only thought as I watched him stashing the chocolates was, why on earth do his parents buy that crap to have in the house to begin with? Maddening.

I think Lindsey (Red Team teen) will be successful as it seems her mom and sister are a normal weight and want her to succeed and the entire family is helping with the food prep.

Sunny (White Team teen) has a wonderful personality but after seeing her family will her mom be willing to support her healthy food habits.

I don't remember seeing Bingo's parents but why are they bringing in junk food into the house. Do they think he will keep to a food plan if they at least don't also follow it themselves??

When I was watching a similar weight loss show for kids graduating from high school and wanting to lose weight before they started college family support or lack of it is very important to the level of the kid's success.
    mandmmom2 likes this.

Does anyone else kinda ironic that while the White Team can win the physical challenges they cannot win a weigh in?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast