+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 1/6 Premiere Discussion

Re: 1/6 Premiere Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    You know, even though she's been very successful on the show, I don't think I could ever work with Jillian. I'm pretty self-motivated, and I really don't like it when people yell at me about what I'm doing. Correct me calmly and tell me when I've got it right, and I'm fine. But shouting just makes me tense and angry, and then I can't concentrate on whatever I'm supposed to be doing differently.
    I'm one of those people that if Jillian yelled at me like that, I'd try really hard to do what she says and if that does not work, I'd CRY!! ...and apologize and try to do it and apologize again!!

FORT Fogey

Since I've been in PT, I've had one PTA whom I just could not work with--and I think they've realized that, because I'm no longer assigned to her; in fact, I rarely even see her working anymore--because nothing I did ever pleased her. I couldn't stand right, I couldn't lift right, I didn't even lie down on my side properly--and she never gave one correction at a time. They always came in multiples. Then she'd tell me to stop tensing up. Well, of course, I was tensing up. I was trying to remember twenty things at once, and as I've never been especially coordinated, I just couldn't keep them all straight. Yet, I don't have that problem with my regular physical therapist at all. If I don't understand something she's explaining to me at first, she tries explaining it another way until I understand. She works me just as hard, but she doesn't make me feel foolish and it makes a huge difference.

Jillian just said the approach is going to be completely different with the kids, because they're just learning how to approach a new lifestyle. Aren't the adults too? I guess I don't understand why it's necessary to yell at all the adults. Maybe that's the only way some of them will listen, but some of them may respond better to not being yelled at so much.

I really like how Kate handled that situation just now. She was understanding without being coddling--and she's right. He needs to be doing this for himself and not worry so much about what Jillian thinks of him, because that may make him so anxious he may not be able to do better.
    CupidGuest likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CupidGuest View Post
    I'm one of those people that if Jillian yelled at me like that, I'd try really hard to do what she says and if that does not work, I'd CRY!! ...and apologize and try to do it and apologize again!!
    I tend to grit my teeth until I can't stand it anymore when approached like that--and then when I couldn't stand it anymore, I'd probably yell right back. I got much better at controlling my temper as I got older, but push me far enough and it still might flare up. That's why I'm not the type who could probably ever work well with someone like Jillian.
    spockwhat likes this.

FORT Fogey

Good thing none of those kids are afraid of heights.

I'd worry about being able to hear those kids from such a distance.

Tilden, you are right about the adults are learning a new process just like the kids.

this looks like a fun challenge
    CupidGuest likes this.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fogey

I am so not the kind of person to get gushy over a kid easily, but Bingo is quickly winning me over. Love how one of the women mentioned how endearing it was to hear him call her "sweetheart" as he encouraged her to get the letter.
    CupidGuest likes this.

white team wins
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CupidGuest View Post
    Tilden, you are right about the adults are learning a new process just like the kids.
    In some respects, I wonder if it's even harder for them, because they have so much more to unlearn than the kids do, just because the kids have come to the conclusion they need to change ten to forty years earlier. Plus, they never have to worry about being eliminated or getting screamed at for not working hard enough--and they get to live at home, which would be a huge plus for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I am so not the kind of person to get gushy over a kid easily, but Bingo is quickly winning me over. Love how one of the women mentioned how endearing it was to hear him call her "sweetheart" as he encouraged her to get the letter.
    Biingo is so cute!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast