+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Season 13 - Episode 18 - 05/01/12 - The Finale

FORT Fogey

Re: Season 13 - Episode 18 - 05/01/12 - The Finale

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Well, they are filming these folks for 1 year so I can see that they might to show more of the struggle of these super obese folks than they can show in a 6 month period like they do on Biggest Loser.
    What I typically do with any two hour show is just watch the last hour, or watch the first half hour and the last half hour. On the Extreme Makeover Weight Loss show, people might or might not stay on their diet... but is going off of a diet that complicated of a storyline?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    What I like about this show is (if I remember the format correctly) it begins with Chris, the trainer, living with the contestant for 90 days. Then he leaves, and the contestant must keep up the good habits on his or her own, with just videoconferences from Chris. Pretty much everyone backslides. Often Chris comes back and the contestant manages to hit his or her goal or at least come close. However, there have been outright failures, too, and the show was not afraid to present it. One guy ended up in a clinic for food addiction. Chris basically admitted he was over his head in dealing with this man. It was a truly heartbreaking episode. This, to me, is so much more honest than the way BL twists its plotline so that everyone appears happy, thin, and "fixed" in the end.
    On the most recent Biggest Loser, Mike and Kim had extreme weight loss, but the others likely weren't as careful about their diets when they left the ranch. They would have lost more weight if they had kept the strict diet they had while at the ranch. And with Mike and Kim, I wonder if they will get tired of exercising and tired of their diets. Also, on the finale they announced that Conda's attitude was "fixed." They are wrong: Conda's attitude will never be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    What I typically do with any two hour show is just watch the last hour, or watch the first half hour and the last half hour. On the Extreme Makeover Weight Loss show, people might or might not stay on their diet... but is going off of a diet that complicated of a storyline?
    The show goes a lot more in-depth than BL. You know when the crew went home with Chris and we saw all the issues she and Roy were facing? Kind of like that. It focuses as much on the reasons people can't get their act together as it does the mechanics of them dieting. Actually, it's sometimes kind of depressing for that reason... But it does leave you feeling that if these people can stick to a plan, so can you (motivation is my #1 reason for watching the diet shows). BL used to make me feel that way--it did not at all this season.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lizardcat View Post
    The show goes a lot more in-depth than BL. You know when the crew went home with Chris and we saw all the issues she and Roy were facing? Kind of like that. It focuses as much on the reasons people can't get their act together as it does the mechanics of them dieting. Actually, it's sometimes kind of depressing for that reason... But it does leave you feeling that if these people can stick to a plan, so can you (motivation is my #1 reason for watching the diet shows). BL used to make me feel that way--it did not at all this season.
    On one episode of the first season of Extreme Makeover Weight Loss, one person trained with firefighters. She put on turnout clothes, picked up a hose and walked up a training tower. They do things like that on the show because if they just showed people at home preparing their meals, the show might not be that interesting. Roy and Chris' house with the leaky roof was unusual. The typical reality show contestant seems to be middle class.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    They are already casting for season 15.
    I hope to see people who are able to hit their goal of close to it. Jeremy was not a stellar winner. He looked like he was ready to go on a weigh loss show.

So please, no 400 pounders! And no couples. I like to see everyone out for themselves. I wouldn't mind seeing a bunch of younger people from say 18 to 38.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I read somewhere that next season will be in 2013.
    I read that as well....that there is no fall edition and that there is a major revamping going on. I hope we still have Bob and Dolvett, but maybe they are going to turn it into a year long process with heavier people, so that we can see them at the end not looking like Jeremy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678