+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Season 13 - Episode 9 - 02/28/12

FORT Fogey

Re: Season 13 - Episode 9 - 02/28/12

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    When Chris had that really awkward talk with Chism and Jeremy she mentioned that either Chism or Jeremy reminded her of her son.
    After I posted my comment, I remembered Chris' talk with Chism and Jeremy, but editing posts must be done within half an hour. Thanks for the answer anyway.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 03-02-2012 at 05:00 AM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    How does one learn about roof repair? Did you learn from others, or are you self-taught? Roy is very likeable. That's why he wasn't wanted in Conda's alliance/clique. Conda, Kim, Mark and Cassandra are like-minded, and like-minded individuals stick together.
    My husband is a store manager in a building supply business. I'm lucky because he just seems how to know how to fix things. Roofing is fairly straight-forward though--usually when one part is leaking indicates the entire roof needs to be done (unless a person has recently reshingled). Strip the shingles (replace any plywood that is rotted, then laying down ice and water shield (if necessary), drip edge (if not already there), and then reshingling. Then the inside stuff: cutting out the damaged drywall, rescrewing in a piece of appropriate sized drywall, taping and compound and sanding and painting. I hate that job though, it's dirty, cuts your hands and brutal on the back. And then later there's compound dust to deal with. Fortunately, if done right, one shouldn't have to do it more than every 15-20 years or so. There is a lot of info online or home repair books can be useful.
    We're have to be frugal, so have always done our own home repairs... I was so proud when I put in my first window by myself. Sorry, that was a lot of info for a simple question.
    I agree on the latter part of your post. I think that age has something to do with it as well. Mark is a part because he is Chism's dad. (And likeminded)

I knew there was an age difference between Roy and Chris, but did not realize it was 21 years. I did not see how long they have been married, does anyone know? In her early 40's there is no reason that Chris cannot be working full time. I guess I am not feeling the sympathy for them.
    There's no place like home!

Roy is one of my favorite contestants so far. He brought a very quiet, thoughtful presence to the show. I hope he does win the at-home challenge and they can fix up their house.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I knew there was an age difference between Roy and Chris, but did not realize it was 21 years. I did not see how long they have been married, does anyone know? In her early 40's there is no reason that Chris cannot be working full time. I guess I am not feeling the sympathy for them.
    Yes, I'm surprised we haven't learned more about their marriage. I can't tell who, if any, are their bio children together. I don't dislike Chris, but I think she has a LOT of baggage, which makes their marriage even more lopsided.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    to FORT, sunnydayz! I agree, that while I understand Mark's response on the emotional level, I can't believe he actually thought it would happen. The producers can't allow a person on one team to save one on another...or even the same team if it were this kind of situation where the one person who didn't make 5% had to be voted off. Illegal for sure, and certainly unfair. I doubt his teammates would appreciate it either!
    Thanks for the kind welcome PWS! This season of BL has me so stressed with these not-too-likable contestants. FORT helps me stay sane about it all, which is a really good thing since I can't seem to tear myself away from the show!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    My husband is a store manager in a building supply business. I'm lucky because he just seems how to know how to fix things. Roofing is fairly straight-forward though--usually when one part is leaking indicates the entire roof needs to be done (unless a person has recently reshingled). Strip the shingles (replace any plywood that is rotted, then laying down ice and water shield (if necessary), drip edge (if not already there), and then reshingling. Then the inside stuff: cutting out the damaged drywall, rescrewing in a piece of appropriate sized drywall, taping and compound and sanding and painting. I hate that job though, it's dirty, cuts your hands and brutal on the back. And then later there's compound dust to deal with. Fortunately, if done right, one shouldn't have to do it more than every 15-20 years or so. There is a lot of info online or home repair books can be useful. We're have to be frugal, so have always done our own home repairs... I was so proud when I put in my first window by myself. Sorry, that was a lot of info for a simple question. I agree on the latter part of your post. I think that age has something to do with it as well. Mark is a part because he is Chism's dad. (And likeminded)
    Putting a new roof on sounds exhausting. I don't think you included too many details: I was curious about all of the steps. That's impressive that you're able to install windows by yourself! How does roof repair differ if the roof is flat?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by gatrmom View Post
    According to their bios on the Biggest Loser website, there are 4 children at home aged 8 to 17. I got the impression from their segment that they had been unemployed, so Roy has started taking his Social Security. That may explain why it is only a small amount. It also looked like a rural farming area. Maybe not a lot of jobs available.
    Chris doesn't seem to have marketable job skills and she might have a limited education. On the show, 'Undercover Boss,' people take jobs such as parking cars and installing satellite dishes in all types of weather, including rain storms, just to survive... but, as you stated, Chris and Roy live in a rural area, so jobs are limited. Even if Chris or Roy wins money, it likely wouldn't last long, but I hope they win money anyway.

ITA with your post! Even in urban/suburban areas jobs are limited right now. My oldest son has been looking in vain for a part time job. When I was younger, you just went to your local market and BOOM you were hired. Now, I go into the grocery store in the afternoon and instead of kids, you see seniors. This economy stinks!

With Santa's and Chris' current weight, I wonder how safe it would be for them to attempt roof repair. I still miss Santa, now Chism.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    ITA with your post! Even in urban/suburban areas jobs are limited right now. My oldest son has been looking in vain for a part time job. When I was younger, you just went to your local market and BOOM you were hired. Now, I go into the grocery store in the afternoon and instead of kids, you see seniors. This economy stinks! With Santa's and Chris' current weight, I wonder how safe it would be for them to attempt roof repair. I still miss Santa, now Chism.
    Santa and Chris might not have natural handyman skills, and they might not know anyone who could help them with roof repair. The show would be so much better if likeable people such as Santa could have been able to stay on the ranch.

+ Reply to Thread