+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Season 13 - Episode 9 - 02/28/12

Well, call me hard-hearted, but people who are really in dire financial need don't apply to reality game shows that are potentially months in the making. I imagine there are a helluva lot of people who would love a shot at TBL but can't afford to leave their jobs for a slim (no pun intended) chance at $250k. Yes, health is most important but TBL is not realistic for "poor" people. Too bad but THAT is reality.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

CCL

Re: Season 13 - Episode 9 - 02/28/12

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I like the fact Cassandra ate a cookie- everyone else just drooled over the "bad" food and ate salad and drank water, which is totally unrealistic. You are going to eat cookies in your life. You are going to have a beer with the boys. The key is to not eat an entire batch of cookies! That being said, I am not convinced that Cassandra is there yet- she still seems to have some major food phobias and all the shaking and freaking out about it leads me to believe she still needs some help in that area mentally.
    Agreed. I think someone like Buddy is more realistic, when he was talking about still wanting the chili dog, and remembering it's taste, but accepting he cannot have it right now. Versus Cassandra freaking out about the pizza before. Or all of the contestants who talk about how gross their former favorites are whenever they have a temptation. I thought it was good of Cassandra to have the one cookie but she does seem highly strung. She could probably benefit from some therapy.

I didn't get the impression that Emily's Dad was all that happy with her for not wanting to weight lift. It almost seemed forced for the camera that he said she could do anything she wanted- I didn't get the feeling he really meant it, which was sad. I like Emily and hope she does well.
    Really? I thought he seemed genuine.

All the keening and wailing at the weigh-in...I turned to my sister and asked her when the wake was. And then Mark's over the top response. Yes, he's your son, but that doesn't mean the show has to give him special favoured status.

When Chism was going on about how difficult it would be at home I felt no sympathy as he had no problem deliberately losing the weigh-in last week to send Daphne home, with no concerns as to what difficulties she would face.

Regarding Kim: she was complaining about not having six hours to take away from her children to exercise. Are her kids not in school? Does she not normally work 8 hours a day? There's 24 hours in the day. 8 to sleep, 6 to exercise, 10 for the kids. It would be different if she was back at work but they didn't make it seem like they returned to their jobs.
    Last edited by CCL; 02-29-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I didn't understand Kim's excuse, either. Two of her children look almost grown and could certainly take care of the needs of the little one. They seemed like fairly responsible kids, too. I think she's starting to lose steam in this contest.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    Their segment really hit home for me. While my house is in so much better condition than theirs, I related to how much something needed for the house (in my case a new heater) can create daily stress when job security is also not present. I hope that they will end up with more opportunities to earn a decent living when this show is over. I really like Chris and hope for the best for her.
    The producers try to create sympathy for some contestants. Cassandra wrote that she doesn't happen to feel good about herself. So? Another contestant wasn't able to get on her horse. Is that a tragedy? Then there's Chris and Roy: they're struggling to survive, and their house is falling apart, which is very sad... and real. The producers didn't have to try to create a reason for viewers to feel sympathy for Chris and Roy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    After watching Cassandra's at home segment, I don't think she will be able to keep the weight off. I hope Chris or Santa win money too, or their community sees how much help they need and help them make repairs. On the positive note, a lot of home repairs don't have to be done by professionals and as they become more physically fit they can do more themselves.
    I hope that Chris or Roy win money, or that somebody helps them. What other problems did they have with their house beside the leaky ceiling? Can people fix leaky ceilings without a professional?

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Yes, bachelor watcher, I've been there, done that. I think with Chris and Roy though, first, there is the monetary problems of buying shingles (plywood, drywall, compound etc) and then they were quite overweight with health issues. I wouldn't want a guy like Roy who is older, weak and overweight up on a roof. Yikes. Now that they are in better shape perhaps doing some of the work is more of a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    All the keening and wailing at the weigh-in...I turned to my sister and asked her when the wake was. And then Mark's over the top response. Yes, he's your son, but that doesn't mean the show has to give him special favoured status.

When Chism was going on about how difficult it would be at home I felt no sympathy as he had no problem deliberately losing the weigh-in last week to send Daphne home, with no concerns as to what difficulties she would face.

Regarding Kim: she was complaining about not having six hours to take away from her children to exercise. Are her kids not in school? Does she not normally work 8 hours a day? There's 24 hours in the day. 8 to sleep, 6 to exercise, 10 for the kids. It would be different if she was back at work but they didn't make it seem like they returned to their jobs.
    I really like this post and it puts into words how I felt about this episode. I'm just not ready to love Chism or any of them. They threw the weigh-in and then Chism and his dad lost an inadequate amount of weight. Not acceptable... so let your son take his lumps and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Well, call me hard-hearted, but people who are really in dire financial need don't apply to reality game shows that are potentially months in the making. I imagine there are a helluva lot of people who would love a shot at TBL but can't afford to leave their jobs for a slim (no pun intended) chance at $250k. Yes, health is most important but TBL is not realistic for "poor" people. Too bad but THAT is reality.
    I got the sense that Roy and Chris were living solely off Roy's social security cheques. Is/was Chris working? Does anyone know if she quit her job for this? It does make a difference. It wouldn't necessarily make sense for to quit her job for a shot at the prize money. However, if they were living soley off of his social security, it would be a good financial decision to go on the show... they can bank those cheques and get fed and housed by the The Biggest Loser for a few months. Also, with them not at home, utilities would be minimal.
    For the record, I'm not saying I want them to win because they need the money most. However, I understand how their support system outside of the ranch is different, then say, Chisms. Chism has all the cash he needs to support losing the weight... and a ton of support through his church too, I would gather. Roy and Chris are going home to a depressed situation.
    I expect the fact that Roy is one of the few I actually like on this show, and that I despise the rest, could weigh in here.

CCL

Chris said they did odd jobs...she made funeral videos, they travelled selling some type of show shoes and they did a bit of property management. I don't know how steady any of those gigs are, however.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Right. Thanks CCL.

My guess is they weighed it out and going on the Biggest Loser was a good choice for them. Kind of like, I don't have any money, and university is expensive, but my prospects down the road are better if I go. Roy and Chris don't have any money, aren't losing much by going on the show, and will be able to do more when they have lost the weight and improve their health. The positives outweigh the negatives.

Now that I think about it with Chism not dropping the weight the previous week on purpose to get rid of Daphne, he should have had made it this weight in....well, in the words of Kim, 'Whatever".

I am kinda curious what the producers are doing about casting for next season considering the backlash they have recieved for the current season's cast and their "mis" behaviour?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

How far in advance do they do the casting? Ratings were down again this week apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    My guess is they weighed it out and going on the Biggest Loser was a good choice for them. Kind of like, I don't have any money, and university is expensive, but my prospects down the road are better if I go. Roy and Chris don't have any money, aren't losing much by going on the show, and will be able to do more when they have lost the weight and improve their health. The positives outweigh the negatives.
    Yes, that would make sense. Like the other poster, I was wondering why they didn't dump the house and rent. Maybe that's not an option. They wouldn't be the first to be stuck with a house they couldn't afford and couldn't walk away from. It was sad, though.

+ Reply to Thread