+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Season 13 - Episode 9 - 02/28/12

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: Season 13 - Episode 9 - 02/28/12

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Putting a new roof on sounds exhausting. I don't think you included too many details: I was curious about all of the steps. That's impressive that you're able to install windows by yourself! How does roof repair differ if the roof is flat?
    Urgh. It's totally different. Flat roofs are usually tarred (or even tarred and gravelled). I've never done one nor do I know anyone who has. I think flats are usually done by professionals, but could be wrong. A local building supply store expert should be more helpful than I could be... sorry.
    (pst. installing windows are easy. It just looks intimidating!)

As for Chris and Roy, I don't care for Chris much, but I do like Roy. I think Chris might have some emotional issues or something though... she's pretty different. That said, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for people to like with the Losers this season, so I guess it's not hard to root for Roy and Chris to get some winnings to have a better life.
    Like, better them than that thug Conda. Or her brother. Or Mark, or his unfortunately named son. Kim... well, you know. Go Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    ^ Yes, but what is it? Details.
    I am completely lost. If you are addressing my comments, I do not understand what you are saying or what you want me to address.
    There's no place like home!

I didn't realize they had young children...how odd to not have them on the show. Regardless, it's all about choices...and, as this season is all about, no excuses. I don't believe this couple needs a handout. They are reaping huge benefits from TBL in regards to their physical health, now go fix your own roof.

Having said that, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that the producers are responsible for the at-home segment & the couple neither wants nor requires charity when they have already been so fortunate. And no, I don't think Chris will win. I think there are many more likely candidates, but of course Helen did pull off a win one season. I don't think Chris has Helen's tenaciousness, though.
    captain and mesachick like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Well let's hope things change for the better in the upcoming episodes.
    It's a bit late to save the season (in my humble opinion) but not too late for some kind of damage control.
    I didn't tune in for the drama but rather, for some inspiration and to see others improving their lives.
    Sadly, there are very few in this season that I care about and that's not something that gives me any pleasure at all.

Well a new roof can run from about $5,000 to $10,000. So, Roy was eliminated week 7 so 7 x 500 = $3,500.00 or 7 x $750 = $5250. There are taxes etc so between Chris and Roy they should be able to put a new roof on the house.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Urgh. It's totally different. Flat roofs are usually tarred (or even tarred and gravelled). I've never done one nor do I know anyone who has. I think flats are usually done by professionals, but could be wrong. A local building supply store expert should be more helpful than I could be... sorry. (pst. installing windows are easy. It just looks intimidating!) As for Chris and Roy, I don't care for Chris much, but I do like Roy. I think Chris might have some emotional issues or something though... she's pretty different. That said, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for people to like with the Losers this season, so I guess it's not hard to root for Roy and Chris to get some winnings to have a better life. Like, better them than that thug Conda. Or her brother. Or Mark, or his unfortunately named son. Kim... well, you know. Go Roy.
    I agree: Chris might have emotional issues. Roy is likeable. I've never heard of anyone refer to Conda as a thug before, but it's an appropriate label! I didn't record the show, so I looked up a summary of Roy and Chris' segment about their house. Their house has rusty pipes and broken windows. Also, I read that Roy stated that he thinks like an engineer. He's 63, so he might have been let go by whatever company he worked for.

FORT Regular

Christine Pickler calls herself "an emotional eater who uses food for comfort" and says being overweight makes even the simplest daily tasks, like tying her shoes and getting up off the floor, very challenging. A native of South Bend, Indiana, Christine has two brothers and three stepbrothers, as well as one sister and two stepsisters. She began gaining weight in childhood, and now at 42 years old and 240 pounds, Christine has high cholesterol and high triglycerides, and also has mild arthritis. She is a very busy mother of four children from her first marriage, ranging in age from eight to 17, and three adult stepchildren. Christine wants to get healthy so she can better juggle the demands of her busy life, continue working to support her family and be a good role model for her children. After losing the weight, she looks forward to wearing fashionable styles and shopping in regular clothing stores, as well as learning how to dance.

At 63 years old and 306 pounds, Roy Pickler suffers from high blood pressure, sleep apnea, hypertension and high cholesterol. A longtime scout leader who has enjoyed taking his scout troops on adventures for nearly 25 years, Roy looks forward to getting in shape so he can continue taking kids on adventure trips and be a healthy role model. Roy was born and raised in Flint, Michigan with four siblings, and he started to gain weight in high school. He earned an electrical engineering degree and his MBA at Michigan Technological University, and he is now married with three adult children and four stepchildren ranging in age from eight to 17 years old. He broke his leg last year, and being on bed rest accelerated just how out of shape he was. Roy looks forward to losing the weight so he can be active every day, run a marathon and continue to work with young people and inspire them to be all that they can be.

This is from Chris' and Roy's bios on the BL website. I think the roof leak happened after they went to BL ranch because she said in the segment that she hadn't seen it before. I think how much it costs to replace a roof depends on 1) where you live, 2) what type of roof you have (pitched, flat, gabled etc, and 3)is it one-story or two-story. I can tell you that I reroofed my previous home in 1992 and it cost me more than $5,000. Of course I live in S Fla. Things cost more here than in the midwest

Chris is ONLY 42?? She looks a LOT older than that! I always thought she needed some bangs on her face. Maybe some haircolor and bangs would bring out her youth? Wow.

I suspect, then, the reason the kids weren't shown is because Chris shares custody & they do not live with her full-time.

My husband & I are DIYers, but I don't know that we'd take on a roofing project. I don't think Roy's physical ability is an issue. He was able to keep up with TBL workouts & is involved in kids fitness programs so I'm sure home repair is within his physical capabilities. I'm Canadian so I don't fully understand "social security" - is that for someone who is disabled or a 60+ benefit?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I suspect, then, the reason the kids weren't shown is because Chris shares custody & they do not live with her full-time.

My husband & I are DIYers, but I don't know that we'd take on a roofing project. I don't think Roy's physical ability is an issue. He was able to keep up with TBL workouts & is involved in kids fitness programs so I'm sure home repair is within his physical capabilities. I'm Canadian so I don't fully understand "social security" - is that for someone who is disabled or a 60+ benefit?
    Social Security is the American Pension Plan that all workers pay into. Roy is 62 yrs old so born in 1949. He can collect full benefits at 66 but you can start at 62. If he retired early he can still collect but it will be a reduced benefit which looks like what he did.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread