+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Show discussion 11/23/11 "Where are they now?" Spoilers if you haven't watched yet

Re: Show discussion 11/23/11 "Where are they now?" Spoilers if you haven't watched y

Some of the previous winners are wonderful public speakers and photogenic and I can't blame them for taking the opportunity to bask in the fame and glory of winning and taking advantage of any monetary gains. Still I would see what happened to the regular joes. What I really would like to see is what happened to the villans of the show. Would the audience have the nerve to "boo" them?
    Shoepie and JulieAnn like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Re: Show discussion 11/23/11 "Where are they now?" Spoilers if you haven't watched y

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Some of the previous winners are wonderful public speakers and photogenic and I can't blame them for taking the opportunity to bask in the fame and glory of winning and taking advantage of any monetary gains. Still I would see what happened to the regular joes. What I really would like to see is what happened to the villans of the show. Would the audience have the nerve to "boo" them?
    I agree. I find it tiresome to always interview the do gooders. Good for them but enough already, lets see some memorable contestants who are living normal lives. You can tour the country and talk to people about weight and health but does it really do all that much? Maybe it does but I don't care.

In my opinion, when contestants drop off the face of the Earth, this unfortunately means that they gained back the weight. I am also under the impression that Olivia, Hannah, and even Ali have gained back some weight. I know that many finalists usually lose too much, and it is, after all, healthier and more realistic for them to gain back some. In this case, I think it is a little too much. I was especially surprised about Ali who seemed to be really committed to maintaining and had done so, but then again, Ali is, to quote Jane Austen, the equivalent of activity gone mad. I recall an early interview she did for one of the NBC shows, if I remember well, and journalists were in a daze at her verbal waterfall.

It must really be a very lucrative business for contestants. Olivia, for example, has done nothing of what she had said she was going to do following her weight loss. I can understand her not wishing to get pregnant immediately. It's better for her to wait a year until her weight and body stabilize, it's a medical fact. However, she has completely disappeared from the world of opera (which I happen to follow ). This suggests that she makes much more money by exploiting her 15-minute of fame, which I cannot quite blame her for.

Those ladies are not as slim as at their respective finales, but keeping in mind they were competing for a 1/4 million bucks, it's not surprising they are not at "fighting" weight. An athlete trains for an event but doesn't maintain peak training levels constantly. It's a fact that when training for a marathon, for example, the runner often gains weight.

There are several contestants not featured on the special that are maintaining their fitness. If you look thru the threads in the forum, you'll see a thread about marathon training. There is a link to an article about some contestants that are participating & doing very well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I agree with you that they usually lose a little too much, and sometimes actually not the right way, for the finale. I actually wrote so in my previous post. However, they have gained a little too much in my opinion. I believe that Ali maintained her finale weight a little longer than the average contestant. As for the rest, yes, I know that many have maintained their fitness. There are actually clinical studies on the Biggest Loser contestants, the overwhelming majority of whom maintain much of their weight loss and fitness. They prove that in the long run the contestants are much more successful than the rest of the population struggling with weight loss.

One of the bloggers I read during my last search stated that he figured 50% maintained their weights and that about 20% gain a lot of it back and the rest a bit. We must remember all of these folks were seriously over weight and had this problem for a significant amount of years and many (food) addicts have to go to rehab (change of lifestyle) several times to gain control of their habit. Matt is a famous example of gaining the weight back, losing it and gaining some of it back and maintaining a fitness lifestyle at a heavier weight. He does triathlons.

I agree, and all of the above are evidence of greater success. In the real world, I believe the success rate in maintaining weight is 5%, so 50% is great! Additionally, doctors general advise people who have spent many years as significantly overweight, to forgo dreams of becoming really skinny and rather focus on maintaining a fitness lifestyle at a heavier weight.

On the other hand I have seen some great examples of ladies losing weight over on Dr. Oz. This one lady lost 300lbs and looked amazing. He really promotes Weight Watchers but does explore other options.

Don't forget BL is moving to a new time for the marathon episode it will start at 9pm and run until 11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Don't forget BL is moving to a new time for the marathon episode it will start at 9pm and run until 11pm.
    Need a dislike button....I can't stay up until 11...
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12