+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: TBL exercise program?

Re: TBL exercise program?

Also two things to remember when working out: intensity and consistency. You can have intensity doing HIIT which is high intensity interval training. It is very effective in burning calories in a short period of time. But it is not recommended to do HIIT more then 2 or 3 times a week. You also need your long slow cardio days. Consistency in working out and sticking to your food plan is also critical. I know several people who are in FA, Food Addicts Anonymous, and they have lost incredible amounts of weight in a short period of time by sticking to their food program. They have an incredible support system.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Also, look at how Bonnie exercised compared to some of the men. Bonnie rarely seemed to work out with much intensity, yet she slowly lost weight. Some of the guys occasionally run at ten miles an hour, and lose weight quickly. Bonnie proves that people can lose weight without high intensity training. When Anna was Bonnie's trainer, I don't think Bonnie ever worked out with any intensity, yet she lost weight.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 11-16-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    JulieAnn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Also, look at how Bonnie exercised compared to some of the men. Bonnie rarely seemed to work out with much intensity, yet she slowly lost weight. Some of the guys occasionally run at ten miles an hour, and lose weight quickly. Bonnie proves that people can lose weight without high intensity training. When Anna was Bonnie's trainer, I don't think Bonnie ever worked out with any intensity, yet she lost weight.
    You can not compare Bonnie to the men, she is 20 to 30 yrs older and physically in very poor condition. The best way to make any comparison is to compare old Bonnie with new Bonnie.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 11-17-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Well, yes anyone can lose weight simply by cutting calories. HIIT or high intensity interval training is simply doing short burst or activity very hard. It is as simple as doing 30 secs of jogging at 5mph when you normally walk at 2.5mph. Walk at normal pace for 30 to 60 seconds and then do a 30 seconds interval at a higher rate. Do this 6 to 8 times, thats less then 20 minutes of cardio and viola your metabolism is running high for the next several hours and it really improves your cardio in the long run and helps you burn more calories faster thereby over the long run it will help you lose faster.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 11-17-2011 at 12:32 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Well, yes anyone can lose weight simply by cutting calories. HIIT or high intensity interval training is simply doing short burst or activity very hard. It is as simple as doing 30 secs of jogging at 5mph when you normally walk at 2.5mph. Walk at normal pace for 30 to 60 seconds and then do a 30 seconds interval at a higher rate. Do this 6 to 8 times, thats less then 20 minutes of cardio and viola your metabolism is running high for the next several hours and it really improves your cardio in the long run and helps you burn more calories faster thereby over the long run it will help you lose faster.
    Why put out all the energy that's required to do a high-intensity workout, when it's possible to lose weight with a low-intensity workout? Besides, how do people know if their heart can take the stress of occasionally running at ten miles hour? I don't think that many people have access to the specialized medical tests that those at the ranch have.

FORT Fogey

You can not compare Bonnie to the men, she is 20 to 30 yrs older and physically in very poor condition. The best way to make any comparison is to compare old Bonnie with new Bonnie.
    My point is that high-intensity workouts aren't a requirement for losing weight. If Bonnie can lose weight without putting much effort into working out; than young, obese men can lose weight the same way... they don't have to occasionally run at ten miles an hour. They don't have to run at all. Also, people watching the show might think that they're just as capable as the contestants of losing weight quickly... but they might not have the time, interest, or help, to keep up the pace.

I think that you can loose weight by simply cutting calories and not exercising but it really depends on what you eat, your age, your metabolism, and other factors. You have to figure out what is best for you. Not everyone looses weight the same way. I know people who lost weight by just cutting calories and then they hit a plateau and started walking and would hit another plateau and then started weights and so on. But others I know loose weight without any exercise and others go full force with the exercise.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fan

You can certainly lose weight just by changing your eating and I have done it before, but I have never kept the weight off without doing some form of regular exercise. I have lost significant weight three times and kept if off for a year or longer. The first two times, as soon as I stopped doing regular exercise, I started gaining weight again. This third time I have kept the weight off now for close to five years. The big thing for me in this effort is that I actually got into the healthy weight range and a good body fat percentage and increased muscle. Personally I see those factors (body fat % and increased muscle) as key components of keeping the weight off especially for women and especially for women over 50 (I'm 56). Increasing muscle mass for a woman is not going to happen without strength training and some type of high intensity exercise. I do Crossfit workouts. They are tough. They are intense. But they don't take 6-8 hours out of your day. Crossfit is the thing that has taken me to next level in staying fit and keeping the weight off. I do these workouts 3 days a week and I generally run 3-4 days a week.

My point is that high-intensity workouts aren't a requirement for losing weight. If Bonnie can lose weight without putting much effort into working out; than young, obese men can lose weight the same way... they don't have to occasionally run at ten miles an hour. They don't have to run at all. Also, people watching the show might think that they're just as capable as the contestants of losing weight quickly... but they might not have the time, interest, or help, to keep up the pace.

Time is the main issue will HIIT. You can be done in 20 minutes versus doing cardio for 1 hour a day.

I don't know why you keep bringing up the boys running at 10 mph. That does not apply to everyone that applies to them at their physical level. For me personally, jogging at 4.5 mph for 30 to 60 seconds is a high intensity interval. If I do that 6 times I have done a 12 minute interval session (including 60 seconds of recovery at 2.8mph) and I am done.

The whole point of doing different types of exercise is to provide muscle confusion. The human body is very efficient and adapts very quickly to any change in diet and exercise and actually expends less calories doing the same activity after about 6 weeks. that is why it is recommended to change up your exercise routine. Even switching the days you do things helps.

The thing is it is your choice to do this or not.

The point of the show is to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible for a monetary prize. To do that in the timeframe required means extreme activity. No one put a gun to anyone's head to participate in this show. I don't get why so many complain about this show and its methodology when it is actually helping alot of people and is actually changing the way people are looking at how to lose weight.
    JulieAnn and mandmmom2 like this.

FORT Fogey

The point of the show is to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible for a monetary prize. To do that in the timeframe required means extreme activity. No one put a gun to anyone's head to participate in this show. I don't get why so many complain about this show and its methodology when it is actually helping alot of people and is actually changing the way people are looking at how to lose weight.
    I know that the contestants are competing for a prize, but I'm thinking about the viewers. I think viewers could be more inspired, and learn more, by Bonnie losing weight slowly with a low-intensity workout, than the obese guys losing weight quickly with a high-intensity workout. John's quick weight loss is just a show... but if viewers weigh as much as John did, or just as much as Bonnie did, and don't have a team of people helping them, they could try Bonnie's exercise routine, which would be more practical for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast