+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

Re: Show Discussion 10/11/11 ****Spoilers****

AJane, I think phy ed class should be daily like it was when I was in school but it isn't. It is sad b/c a lot of parents can't afford to put their kids in sports....dance is the worse! My 4th grader took dance for a few years but decided to do stick with piano and voice and drama. She gets her exercise by riding bikes, walking, and cross country. Now that CC is over she runs with me a couple times a week. But I remember paying for dance monthly, then the costumes, then the fees for recital, the pics, etc. It wasn't easy to pay for all that but she enjoyed it and she isn't a sportsy kind of girl. So, I did everything I could to make room in our budget for it.

The portions here in America's restaurants are shocking. I get a "to-go" box right away so I can put 3/4 of the food in it and only eat one serving. Sometimes I share with my two girls. Then most of the restaurants have all you can eat bread, chips, etc. before your meal is even served. The appetizers are the size of what a meal should be, sometimes bigger.

CDW....Mac & Cheese is served as a side here in KY. In restaurants the kids meals will include Mac & Cheese as an option for a meal but you still get a side...like applesauce.

jennifer....it does vary school to school. I remember the first time I walked into JcPenny and noticed the girls section had plus sizes. I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. I didn't have any response. My husband was wondering what was wrong with me until he turned around and saw the same thing. Of course, he doesn't mince words and had plenty to say.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post

CDW....Mac & Cheese is served as a side here in KY. In restaurants the kids meals will include Mac & Cheese as an option for a meal but you still get a side...like applesauce.

jennifer....it does vary school to school. I remember the first time I walked into JcPenny and noticed the girls section had plus sizes. I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. I didn't have any response. My husband was wondering what was wrong with me until he turned around and saw the same thing. Of course, he doesn't mince words and had plenty to say.
    I live in the Northeast and we have always served Mac and Chz as a meal in itself with maybe a salad or something. My brother lives in the South and mac and chz is a 'side' down there from what I understand. He laughs when he sees it on the menu listed under "Vegetables" (sometimes that term is used instead of "sides").

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    There are many thin people with unhappy childhoods, too. I think a treacherous past can aggravate the underlying cause of obesity. It plays a part but is not the place to look for the answer, imo. Hormones and genetics play the largest role.
    I disagree. Genetics play a role in hereditary disease up to a point. If diabetes runs in one's family for example, then it doesn't follow that one will get diabetes. Same thing with obesity. There is more of a propensity, to be sure, but it's not a guarantee. Bad habits and personal issues play a larger role. Hormones can certainly aggravate things, but again, obesity is more often than not associated with a negative body image which is usually associated with a bad childhood.

Granted that not all unhappy children end up obese. My best friend, for example, sadly, was molested by her own father when she was very young, and so was her sister. They both ended up with anorexia nervosa. However, anorexia nervosa does not suggest that sexual abuse necessarily took place in all patients. There are other reasons as well.

Serious weight issues are usually treated in a holistic manner which yes, includes psychological support and cognitive behavioral therapy among other things. And yes, they will ask about childhood and early adulthood issues.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, to give the counter example, I had a fine childhood and I have weight issues. They didn't start until I was in my 30's, but now they are major. So not all weight problems are caused by bad childhoods any more than bad childhoods always lead to weight issues. Not saying there may not be some correlation, but it isn't a perfect one. In my case it started when exercise was no longer built into my life--e.g., no longer biked to work, a couple of miles each way, because we got a car. I basically don't enjoy exercise, so only do it if I "have" to...and at this point the only reason I "have" to is to lose weight. I don't eat all that much and take home half my meal everytime we eat out in a chain (I agree about the portions!!!), and I mostly eat healthy stuff, but also, given my druthers, I just don't move much.
    Sooo, as to the constant "shrinkage" by the trainers, yeah, it probably helps some people, but for those who come from cultures that don't really value the skinny look (e.g., Mexican) or which have a ot of large people (e.g., Samoans, Pima Indians), I doubt it will help.

What about the Tongo contestants? They were very vocal about their people being plus-sized due to diet/culture. Now Moses wasn't that successful but the 2 younger ones-names escape me at the moment-were very successful with their diet & exercise regimen.

Hormones & genetics may play a role in body type, but speaking as someone with Italian genes-a culture notorious for heavy meals & heavy bodies- I maintain that a lifestyle that includes proper eating & exercise can keep weight under control. It doesn't mean that you'll get a figure like Anna's but it can be the difference between healthy & unhealthy body weight.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345