+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1/18 Show Discussion ***Spoilers***

Waiting for my fairytale! FumaLover's Avatar

Re: 1/18 Show Discussion ***Spoilers***

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4153088;
    I wonder about the wisdom of selecting two fighters (boxer, martial arts instructor) as the new trainers. I realize the guy has more of a background in that, but the woman pretty much talked only about her boxing prowess. If someone on their team happens not to be interested in that kind of training for whatever reason, it puts them at a distinct disadvantage.

I'd also like to add that I really loathe that doctor they have assessing the contestants. How dare he purport to know the exact date someone will die--and then to announce not only in front of him but in front of his daughter. Or to tell that one woman, who actually has a reason beyond her control to have lost some muscle tone (not to mention that, percentage wise, women tend to carry more fat than men), that she has a higher percentage of body fat than anyone, including Rulan. He shouldn't be revealing other contestants' statistics to their teammates, and what was the point of doing that anyway, other than to make her feel horrible? Why not end on more positive notes? Instead of "Here's the date you're going to die" (which is sheer nonsense anyway), "Here's how much you can increase your chances of avoiding diabetes or lowering your blood pressure or living a longer life if you lose even X number of pounds?" Hasn't this guy ever heard of positive reinforcement? I'm not morbidly obese, and I do work out regularly, but if I had to talk to that joker, I'd probably be too depressed to work out. I don't care if I have three years or thirty years left--I still don't want anyone predicting my exact day of death. It's just too ghoulish.

Didn't like the "unknowns" tossing their eggs at the other team either. If they wanted to give the opportunity for the extra two pounds to a particular team, fine. It was even kind of sweet, really. But by flipping their eggs over the barrier, they could have distracted someone else who needed the extra two pounds just as badly and ruined his/her chances.
    I am going to 100% disagree with you here. These people are all overweight, most have been for a long time without doing anything about it. They need to be told exactly what they are doing to their bodies, and be forced to face it in front of someone they care about so they cannot keep hiding it and being in denial about what they are doing. I don't like Dr. H, but I think the method of telling the contestants and what they tell them are pretty much the only way to get thru to these people at this point.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own! - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Quote Originally Posted by FumaLover;4154015;
    I am going to 100% disagree with you here. These people are all overweight, most have been for a long time without doing anything about it. They need to be told exactly what they are doing to their bodies, and be forced to face it in front of someone they care about so they cannot keep hiding it and being in denial about what they are doing. I don't like Dr. H, but I think the method of telling the contestants and what they tell them are pretty much the only way to get thru to these people at this point.
    Yes, yes, yes. You said it perfectly.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by FumaLover;4154015;

And I will continue to disagree with you, which is fine (that is, it's fine that we disagree). Dr. H's methods might work with some people, but they might also spectacularly backfire with others and cause them to give up entirely. If these people have agreed to be on a show where they know they're going to have to work very hard at weight loss, I think that regardless of what they've done thus far, they're at a point where they want to change, and I, personally, wouldn't find it very encouraging to be berated about what I had done as opposed to what I was now showing a willingness to do. If they're not, that will become evident quickly enough, and they can be criticized then, not on some sort of general principle. There's no earthly reasons Dr. H. couldn't be direct and honest without ridiculously predicting death dates and using information about one contestant's results in front of another--I would not want to deal with a doctor who would discuss my test results with another patient, as I don't think that's ethical. There's also no reason at all he couldn't say that this is what got you here and the situation is bad, but it isn't irreversible as long as you take it seriously and do this, this, and this. He wasn't letting them know there was any hope by telling them he could predict exactly the date on which they would die--which he couldn't possibly know anyway. That was done for pure dramatic effect.

The whole show seems more mean-spirited this season, what with Bob denigrating Courtney's six pound loss etc. I was very glad, both for him and on general principles, that the twin who went home could prove that it was possible to lose weight on one's own without the ranch.

Also, as I've said, I don't have, and never have had, a serious weight problem but I know quite well several people who have and who would have not reacted at all well to Dr. H's approach, some of which I feel strongly was probably orchestrated specifically for the cameras.

How dare Justin and Rulon (yellow) talk to Q (red) like that!? They're there for the same reasons, they're overweight. I wouldn't have taken it if I were Q, that was pretty demeaning and rude of them to talk to him like that.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy444777;4154301;
    How dare Justin and Rulon (yellow) talk to Q (red) like that!? They're there for the same reasons, they're overweight. I wouldn't have taken it if I were Q, that was pretty demeaning and rude of them to talk to him like that.
    I didn't like the Yellow team's attitude toward Q much either, but perhaps he just didn't say much in return, because he figured if he let them get it out of their system, as opposed to arguing with them, they'd shut up sooner. It probably didn't help that while some of the other teammates didn't look all that comfortable with what was going on, no one else really said much. The Yellow team is suffering from coach complex, I think--they've been athletes, they run gyms, they think they should correct what they see as a problem. In this case, though, that's not really their job, as they're not the ones running the workouts. I could see it more the Red team was screwing up team competitions and putting Yellow at risk, but they haven't really done that.

FORT Fanatic

I logged on only to say that Dan and Don's weight gain was the hugest gasp I ever had watching this show.

Quote Originally Posted by alizarules;4154799;
    I logged on only to say that Dan and Don's weight gain was the hugest gasp I ever had watching this show.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4154550;
    I didn't like the Yellow team's attitude toward Q much either, but perhaps he just didn't say much in return, because he figured if he let them get it out of their system, as opposed to arguing with them, they'd shut up sooner. It probably didn't help that while some of the other teammates didn't look all that comfortable with what was going on, no one else really said much. The Yellow team is suffering from coach complex, I think--they've been athletes, they run gyms, they think they should correct what they see as a problem. In this case, though, that's not really their job, as they're not the ones running the workouts. I could see it more the Red team was screwing up team competitions and putting Yellow at risk, but they haven't really done that.
    Team Yellow needs to keep quiet after all these premiere athletes are now hogs and have no room to rant against another team.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Two people gain 9 pounds! They asign them a calorie intake based on the exercise and of course their personal statistics. When you know you are not pushing as hard as you should you have to take it upon yourself to reduce what you are eating or talk to whoever is in charge of that.

I dont like that doctor and agree with Tilden.

The yellow team fancy themselves motivatos but they are nothing more than bullies. It is their place to cheer their team on an offer inspiration just like any other contestant would. They will make some enemies and on a bad week get the boot unless the Stockholm syndrome is in effect. We often see this type become feared/loved.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;4153696;
    Even if Don loses a bunch on the scale next week- they subtract the 9lb gain from his percentage. I'm not sure how they do that or if they've even addressed in onair before, but I read a few seasons back that if you gained weight one week that it doesn't count towards your 'loss' the following week. I think I read it after the season with a younger guy (can't remember his name) who gained like 19lbs (???) one week. I can picture him in my head but can't remember his name. I do remember he was not very well liked for awhile after that. Can someone help me out with this particular rule or am I just remembering it wrong?

Edited to say his name was Neil and he gained 17lbs by waterloading- it was back in 2007- not sure what season.
    That's true, but Don will still have an advantage. Let's assume they did waterload, but before that did work out and watch their diet, so they would have lost, say, 8 lbs. each. Next week Don will still have lost that 8 lbs. plus whatever he loses next week, maybe another 8 lbs., so even if they start him as if he'd gained zero this week, he will appear to have lost 16 lbs. next week. But really it is a two week loss.

I think the reason the teams wanted the singleton woman to be the one to choose who goes home is that they felt she would respect their wishes. They knew that the person going home's team was determined solely by which team was below the yellow line. The only power the winner of the competition really had was to choose which of the 2 people on the team would go home. Since they had respected her team's decision that she should stay they felt she would respect that team's decision. And of course if SHE fell below the line there was no decision for anyone to make... so really it was by far the most sensible decision for the Bob/Jillian group to make, to throw the competition to her. I'd love to see the TBL producers' faces when that happened... I'm sure they were expecting a lot of the usual angst...Oh I must have this power, oh no I have this power and everyone will hate me. Ha ha, TBL Powers That Be! In your face!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast