+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1/18 Show Discussion ***Spoilers***

FORT Fogey

Re: 1/18 Show Discussion ***Spoilers***

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;4153464;
    One of these season someone is going to waterload and production is going to take extra long to film the weigh-in and that contestant will be standing there with their legs crossed and just once I'd like Jillian to say...."what's wrong....ya gotta pee?" Hehe- I know that's aweful, but it made me giggle just thinking about it.

Also one of these seasons I want someone to waterload and admit to it in front of everyone. "Yes, Ali I just drank a gallon of water so I would make sure not to lose any weight.. I have immunity this week and the goal is to stay on this ranch as long as I can so I am trying to ensure a good number for next week as I may not have immunity then". Now wouldn't that be refreshing??

I don't know if Don or Dan waterloaded. I don't really think they did- they just don't come off as that type. Maybe out of homesickness and frustration they ate more than they should've- old habits die hard.

And again Dr. H and his Death Dates. Grrrrrrrrr!
    I don't think they waterloaded either, or if they did, that they didn't do it for the reasons most people do--they didn't have immunity, and it's really rather early in the game to risk it if they didn't. If they waterloaded just because they wanted to go home, that's kind of stupid too. I mean, no one's forcing them to stay--one or both of them could just have volunteered to go home. Granted, they'd probably get a whole quitters lecture from everyone, but they're going to get lectured for the weight gain too, so it's not like it would have made any difference.

Really, though, they just don't seem like the game-playing type, and if they weren't weepingly upset about the prospect of going home, well, maybe they weren't. Or maybe that's just the way they react. I would think their line of work would pretty much demand that they be able to control their emotions in difficult situations. Isn't at least one of them a fire fighter?

Ultimately, though, if the one who went home continued to lose weight under a different regimen and is happy with the outcome, then everything worked out fine in the end anyway, regardless of what actually happened with the weight gain. And on a completely unrelated note, wasn't his little girl adorable? I loved the two of them working out together.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4153484;
    Really, though, they just don't seem like the game-playing type, and if they weren't weepingly upset about the prospect of going home, well, maybe they weren't. Or maybe that's just the way they react. I would think their line of work would pretty much demand that they be able to control their emotions in difficult situations. Isn't at least one of them a fire fighter?
    I think they are both policemen. And I agree about not being over emotional.... some people are not highly dramatic.... sometimes still waters run deep. I would think as policemen, they have had many years of experience to tone down their emotions in front of peers and public. I was thankful that arthur and jesse got to stay

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;4153464;
    One of these season someone is going to waterload and production is going to take extra long to film the weigh-in and that contestant will be standing there with their legs crossed and just once I'd like Jillian to say...."what's wrong....ya gotta pee?" Hehe- I know that's aweful, but it made me giggle just thinking about it.
    The weigh-in that we see is not the actual weigh-in. That actually happens a day before in private. The contestants don't know the results at that point, but the producers do. The scales they step on for the TV cameras aren't even real scales.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4153088;
    I wonder about the wisdom of selecting two fighters (boxer, martial arts instructor) as the new trainers. I realize the guy has more of a background in that, but the woman pretty much talked only about her boxing prowess. If someone on their team happens not to be interested in that kind of training for whatever reason, it puts them at a distinct disadvantage.
    Martial arts can actually present a varied and very cardio workout. It doesn't even have to feel so much like you are doing "martial arts". It's typically really good for balance and flexibility as well, which can only help these folks as they continue to workout and lose the weight. So I can see how this would work. The boxing, I can't speak to since I have never participated in boxing.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4153484;
    I don't think they waterloaded either, or if they did, that they didn't do it for the reasons most people do--they didn't have immunity, and it's really rather early in the game to risk it if they didn't. If they waterloaded just because they wanted to go home, that's kind of stupid too. I mean, no one's forcing them to stay--one or both of them could just have volunteered to go home. Granted, they'd probably get a whole quitters lecture from everyone, but they're going to get lectured for the weight gain too, so it's not like it would have made any difference.

Ultimately, though, if the one who went home continued to lose weight under a different regimen and is happy with the outcome, then everything worked out fine in the end anyway, regardless of what actually happened with the weight gain. And on a completely unrelated note, wasn't his little girl adorable? I loved the two of them working out together.
    I believe Dan wanted to go home, and that's why they waterloaded. It turned out great for them because Orange shirt honoured their request and sent Dan home.
    Now Don is also pretty much guaranteed to kick butt on the scale next week so he's ensured at least another week at the ranch. I don't know if they were thinking of that aspect, but I'd be surprised if they hadn't. Bob and Jillian are surely going to be ticked next week when he posts up a ridiculous 20 lb loss or something. lol

Even if Don loses a bunch on the scale next week- they subtract the 9lb gain from his percentage. I'm not sure how they do that or if they've even addressed in onair before, but I read a few seasons back that if you gained weight one week that it doesn't count towards your 'loss' the following week. I think I read it after the season with a younger guy (can't remember his name) who gained like 19lbs (???) one week. I can picture him in my head but can't remember his name. I do remember he was not very well liked for awhile after that. Can someone help me out with this particular rule or am I just remembering it wrong?

Edited to say his name was Neil and he gained 17lbs by waterloading- it was back in 2007- not sure what season.
    Last edited by Maybaybie; 01-19-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Gee, why after all these seasons is everyone bashing Dr. H all of a sudden? I don't find anything wrong with what he is doing. He is basically telling his patients how it is. He is telling them that being overweight is not harmless that carrying a lot of extra has consequences that effect the quality of your life and shortens your life expectency. Most of these contestants need to be "scared thin" as I doubt their regular physicians have ever bothered to say anything to them about losing their weight.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

In summary:

Dr H - yuck
    Curtis Stone - yummy
    Courtney - rocks.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4153721;
    Gee, why after all these seasons is everyone bashing Dr. H all of a sudden? I don't find anything wrong with what he is doing. He is basically telling his patients how it is. He is telling them that being overweight is not harmless that carrying a lot of extra has consequences that effect the quality of your life and shortens your life expectency. Most of these contestants need to be "scared thin" as I doubt their regular physicians have ever bothered to say anything to them about losing their weight.

Actually, I've frequently missed the earlier episodes of other seasons of Biggest Loser, so I've seldom seen Dr. H. What bothers me is not what he's doing, but how he's doing it--no one can possibly predict the exact date someone dies, and I'm sure most of the contestants realize that. At least I hope they do. When he does that, it just undercuts his authority to me, and he becomes some kind of obesity fortune teller as opposed to a reliable doctor. He also never seems to give any positive reinforcement at all, as in, your situation is dire, but this is how much you can still change it if you do X, Y, and Z. I didn't like him telling the one woman she had the highest body fat percentage, higher even than Rulan's, either, because he shouldn't be sharing information about another contestant/patient like that with another contestant/patient.

As for their regular physicians having never mentioned their weight, I have a really hard time believing a reputable physician, faced with 400 pound patient, wouldn't mention his/her weight, especially since diabetes and high blood pressure are a factor for at least a few of them. Of course, some of them may not have been ready to listen before, but that doesn't mean they haven't been told--and if they are ready to listen at this point, they should be encouraged to start changing their habits, not scared to death about how terrible their situations are without a word about what their decision to change might do to reverse those situations. Yes, it might "scare" some of them thinner, but it could also just as easily drive some of them to give up and go back to the refrigerator, since they now supposedly know when they're going to die anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4153782;
    Actually, I've frequently missed the earlier episodes of other seasons of Biggest Loser, so I've seldom seen Dr. H. What bothers me is not what he's doing, but how he's doing it--no one can possibly predict the exact date someone dies, and I'm sure most of the contestants realize that. At least I hope they do. When he does that, it just undercuts his authority to me, and he becomes some kind of obesity fortune teller as opposed to a reliable doctor. He also never seems to give any positive reinforcement at all, as in, your situation is dire, but this is how much you can still change it if you do X, Y, and Z. I didn't like him telling the one woman she had the highest body fat percentage, higher even than Rulan's, either, because he shouldn't be sharing information about another contestant/patient like that with another contestant/patient.
    Any privacy issues are shot out the door when you are on a reality show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4153782;
    As for their regular physicians having never mentioned their weight, I have a really hard time believing a reputable physician, faced with 400 pound patient, wouldn't mention his/her weight, especially since diabetes and high blood pressure are a factor for at least a few of them.
    I believe it. In the last 20 yrs I have only had 1 doctor mention it to me. The only other time a physician ever suggested anything to me was when I was with Kaiser Permente everytime I went to see my primary physician the first thing out of her mouth was a suggestion to get a breast reduction.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast