+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Justin and Rulon: Friends - Season 11

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Justin and Rulon: Friends - Season 11

Justin

Hometown: Logan, Utah

Being around as long as he can be for his family was Justin's primary motivation for trying out for "The Biggest Loser." Justin was born and raised in Cokeville, Wyoming, the middle child of 10 siblings, and attended Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho. He knew he wanted to change his life when he was watching the show last year and cried because he weighed more than the contestants did. It was an "aha moment" for Justin, who says he never cries, but didn't realize until that point what he looked like. Justin, who weighs 365 pounds, has always been heavy, and he and several family members have diabetes. Now married and the father of a 10-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter, the 39-year-old looks forward to shopping in regular stores, riding horses again, playing sports, and being able to do more with his kids once he loses the weight.

Rulon

Hometown: Logan, Utah

Olympic athlete Rulon was born and raised in Afton, Wyoming, the youngest of 10 children. He was overweight growing up but still in good shape from wrestling and playing football. He graduated from Nebraska University with a degree in physical education and went on to become an Olympic athlete, winning the gold medal for wrestling in the 2000 Olympics, and the bronze medal in 2004. Rulon says he gained the weight when he continued to eat like an Olympic athlete after he stopped training for the Olympic team. He knew he had to change his life when he tried to weigh himself and his 435-pound scale would not register his weight. Being diagnosed with sleep apnea and high blood pressure made it even more imperative that he lose weight. Now 39 years old, 474 pounds and married, Rulon looks forward to starting a family with his wife and getting into his jeep without straining after he's lost the weight. Season 9 winner Michael Ventrella inspired him because he made the commitment to get the weight off, despite being the show's heaviest contestant ever.
    Wake up and be awesome

Re: Justin and Rulon: Friends - Season 11

I was so shocked to see Rulon in the BL commercials! My mom used to be VP for a company that sold wrestling supplies, so Rulon was a big deal for everyone there. He was such a good person. I may actually start watching the show again just to see him!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

I remember him from the Olympics (which is weird, as I don't watch wrestling) - he must have a memorable look. I like him and his partner. I hope they show him more soon.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I was sad to see Rulon on the show, because he was such an inspiration in the Olympics, beating the odds to win that gold medal, and again with the bronze medal (though someone tried to challenge him on both in regard to the judging if I recall correctly). That said, it is very easy to eat like you're still training if your mind is set to that standard.

On the positive though, he will be an inspiration here once again, hopefully to not only show he can lose weight, but to tell people to eat healthy so they don't end up gaining this much weight either (I think he's about 150-200 pounds more than he was at wrestling weight).

FORT Fogey

I don't see either of these men being an inspiration. They are opressive with their "support."

CCL

There is an article about Rulon in the newest People (Halle Berry is on the cover).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Where is Rulon? Does anyone care?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

In the finale thread it says he was invited to come (not compete) but decided not to....

Justin looked amazing.

Here's an article on Rulon:

Olympic champ Rulon Gardner: Reality TV is not reality - USATODAY.com

"They asked me to come back, and I had already moved on," Gardner said. "I wasn't eligible for the money (the show awards $100,000 to the voted-off contestant who loses the most weight at home), I wasn't eligible to win the show. My life and my business here are more important than being on TV."

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Here's an article on Rulon:

Olympic champ Rulon Gardner: Reality TV is not reality - USATODAY.com

"They asked me to come back, and I had already moved on," Gardner said. "I wasn't eligible for the money (the show awards $100,000 to the voted-off contestant who loses the most weight at home), I wasn't eligible to win the show. My life and my business here are more important than being on TV."
    I hate to say it but Rulon comes across as he used the show for his own ends. To lose the weight he couldn't. To perhaps get publicity for his health club that he co owns with Justin. He comes across so cold and calculated and for self centered that it was all for him and for his possible next step to quality for the London Summer Olympics and to win another gold medal. Then he has the nerve to complain that Biggest Loser and reality TV is not "real". Biggest Loser may "use" people" to get ratings but Rulon used Biggest Loser as weight loss spa for free. Now he is doing interviews. Yeah, really classy guy that we want representing our country in the Olympics.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast