+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Are They Now?

Re: Where Are They Now?

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;4117193;
    Just wanted to chime in here as someone who has lost significant amounts of weight and regained. The forces that pull a formerly obese person back into obesity are very strong. Most people who are overweight got that way because of years of bad habits and those bad habits are reinforced every day by friends and family. This does not go away with a 4-month experience on The Biggest Loser ranch. Sure, it's a great jump start, but there is no quick fix for obesity. It's a process. New habits have to be reinforced over and over again. If the rest of your family isn't on board with the new habits, it's even harder to maintain. There is a reason why only about 5% of people who lose 30 lbs or more will keep the weight off. The TBL population has fared better than the general population, but the stats are still very sad.

It took me 2 years to lose the 150 lbs that I've lost, and I've kept the weight off now for about 3 years. Even after all that time, it's still a struggle. I still have to make a conscious effort to stick with my eating plan. I still get up some mornings and wish I didn't have to go to the gym. But I know that it will take significant determination to keep the weight off for good. So, I keep fighting. Like it or not, if I want to stay at a healthy weight, I will always have to watch what I eat and exercise at least 5 days a week.

I totally agree with you. I lost 60 and kept if off for two years and now am up 20lbs. I'm working on getting it off now. Most of it this past year (stress, lack of sleep, business, etc). I could not eat and gain b/c of stress....but have friends who don't eat b/c of stress and will loose. It's a daily battle. I grew up thin and didn't get big until after marriage and first child. This is all new to me but I know what to do and just need to do it.

This will be a battle for all the contestanst for the rest of their life. They will just have to battle it and think of winning in the long run. Not easy. Easier said than done. I know.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I thought Helen looked haggard. I've always thought she looked awful being that skinny.
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;4117293;
    I thought Helen looked haggard. I've always thought she looked awful being that skinny.
    I agree but I do think that comes with age....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4117280;
    Jillian & Bob endorse similar methods, actually. The only real difference is in their personalities, plus Bob is vegan while Jillian is definitely not. The "competition" between them is more in fun, rather than a difference in fitness ideology.
    I think that, at least in earlier seasons, Bob came across as easier to relate to, which almost felt like empathy. Jillian on the other hand was perceived as the merciless giver of beatdowns. A few contestants viewed Jillian as a challenge to be met, many viewed Bob as the trainer who would understand. So while their training methods were similar, it was the personality behind them that attracted or repelled certain contestants.

Lately Jillian and Bob have been moving towards each other though - I notice Bob doing a lot more yelling this season (and just about every episode he yells "and THAT was your last chance workout!" It's like a catchphrase, anymore), while we have been getting more of Jillian "breaking down the walls" of her trainees emotionally.

Anyway, all that to say that I agree with you, they are really quite similar in what they do, and I feel they are moving closer together in how they do it.

Oh, and I thought Bill (season 4 winner) had gained back a bit more of his weight than he should have, and was happy to see Eric having success at re-losing a healthy amount of his weight.

Anybody else thing that Phil and Amy seemed to really "get" it? They seemed to be a good success story with several years behind them.
    _(Moo!)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I totally agree about how hard it is to keep it off---been there, done that! Was just disappointed/sad that TBL winners are obviously having the same problems I do. So much for my fantasy that a season of TBL would "fix" me!

Nothing will fix me except not eating at night when I get to sit down without anyone around and breathe...then I tend to snack and snack...trying to break that awful habit now...tonight is day 2....hard...but trying to stay focused on other things like this board, paying bill and balancing checkbook, and then uploading pics on FB later....

Waiting for my fairytale! FumaLover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;4117471;
    Nothing will fix me except not eating at night when I get to sit down without anyone around and breathe...then I tend to snack and snack...trying to break that awful habit now...tonight is day 2....hard...but trying to stay focused on other things like this board, paying bill and balancing checkbook, and then uploading pics on FB later....
    Something that has helped me with this is actually something they show on the show. Try chewing gum! If you have gum in your mouth you won't eat and it satisfies the need to have a taste in your mouth. Most gums (not just Extra) are 5 calories or less a piece, so it won't do you any harm on the calories side either.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own! - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

I do that during the day but haven't tried it at night. I'll try it tonight. Thanks fumalover!

Anybody else think Ryan (season 1 winner) was lying through his teeth about losing it all again. I do. I just don't buy it. I don't he was ready and he felt pressured by all the other to say he would do it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by FumaLover;4117511;
    Something that has helped me with this is actually something they show on the show. Try chewing gum! If you have gum in your mouth you won't eat and it satisfies the need to have a taste in your mouth. Most gums (not just Extra) are 5 calories or less a piece, so it won't do you any harm on the calories side either.
    I don't really find gum the same as eating a piece of say, cake. It's not a substitute for me (unfortunately!). But if you're going down that route Extra has new gum out called Dessert Delights - Strawberry Shortcake, Mint Chocolate Chip and Key Lime Pie. The Strawberry Shortcake one is pretty good. I've not tried the other two.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast