+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 9/28 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 9/28 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm pretty sure they said she now weighs 261, which would be 61 pounds lost. A great accomplishment especially with her crappy support system at home.

I like the yellow line being placed halfway up, and I liked the challenge coming after the weigh-in. I don't agree it will necessarily hurt the women in the long run - it will weed out a few but it won't be long before more men fall under the line.

I never thought about gastric bypass being responsible for muscle loss as well as fat loss. But the bottom line is who would allow a 14-year-old to be operated on like that?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Impressions: the producers are torturing all the contestants with all these challenges to even be on the show.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4073068;
    I like the yellow line being placed halfway up, and I liked the challenge coming after the weigh-in. I don't agree it will necessarily hurt the women in the long run - it will weed out a few but it won't be long before more men fall under the line.

I never thought about gastric bypass being responsible for muscle loss as well as fat loss. But the bottom line is who would allow a 14-year-old to be operated on like that?
    That was my thought.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4073068;

A couple of yrs ago while I was having getting my car worked on I stuck up a conversation with 2 ladies who it turns out both had gastric bypass surgery. One was a young mom who just couldn't get her pregnancy weight off and had lost about 90 lbs. She still had about 40 to 50 lbs to lose. The other lady was older and taller about 5'10" she also had lost about 90 to 100lbs but still had a good 90lbs to go but was gaining the weight back. We were talking about working out and how she couldn't afford a gym membership and I was saying how just walking was a good place to start. Anyway we got to talking about building muscle and I checked out her bicep and she had none. I actually felt her arm bone and no bicep or tricep muscles. I was shocked. No wonder she was gaining weight back she had no muscle to burn calories.

A friend of mine is a personal trainer and some of his clients have had the lap band surgery and most have been successfull in losing that 60 to 90lbs but then get stuck. He tells me that the hospitals in the area do recommend that people who have the surgery see a nutritionist, set up an exercise program especially tailored to gastric bypass patients and even participate in therapy groups to understand why they overeat. These are recommendations and the programs are in place but many people do not use them as they have to pay for it and instead use the surgery as a quick fix for a multilayered problem.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-30-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4073222;
    A couple of yrs ago while I was having getting my car worked on I stuck up a conversation with 2 ladies who it turns out both had gastric bypass surgery. One was a young mom who just couldn't get her pregnancy weight off and had lost about 90 lbs. She still had about 40 to 50 lbs to lose. The other lady was older and taller about 5'10" she also had lost about 90 to 100lbs but still had a good 90lbs to go but was gaining the weight back. We were talking about working out and how she couldn't afford a gym membership and I was saying how just walking was a good place to start. Anyway we got to talking about building muscle and I checked out her bicep and she had none. I actually felt her arm bone and no bicep or tricep muscles. I was shocked. No wonder she was gaining weight back she had no muscle to burn calories.

A friend of mine is a personal trainer and some of his clients have had the lap band surgery and most have been successfull in losing that 60 to 90lbs but then get stuck. He tells me that the hospitals in the area do recommend that people who have the surgery see a nutritionist, set up an exercise program especially tailored to gastric bypass patients and even participate in therapy groups to understand why they overeat. These are recommendations and the programs are in place but many people do not use them as they have to pay for it and instead use the surgery as a quick fix for a multilayered problem.
    Unfortunately, it seems like surgery is the easy way out for people. You have to make a lifestyle change. If you resort to a quick fix, in the end, you'll be in the same place you were (for the most part).

As for the woman who couldn't afford the gym membership-- that I can understand, gym memberships are expensive. A pair of dumbbells from the sporting goods store, however, is $10. Get a couple pairs of those instead!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345