+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Regular

Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3894797;
    Well, that's depressing--above about the charity--so many teens contribute hair to it!

Re Daris' makeover... the worst? I thought it was amazing....I actually said, "who's that?" when they showed him. Of course then he ruined it by creating the Lyle Lovett effect the next day. But the way the hairdresser did it I thought he looked good.
    I didn't recognize him either.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

The BMI table will never be accurate for someone who is a body-builder or has a lot of muscle as muscle weighs more than fat. Sam has shed a lot of fat... and gained a significant amount of muscle. He looks great and has learned a lot. I'm confident he will be able to continue his transformation journey

Daris looked great when he was in the room of mirrors - though, obviously, the poor boy is lacking in the "style" dept... I mean, plaid? really? LOL! I'm sure everyone has had the experience of leaving the stylists chair and having no fricken clue how to replicate that look on their own and if you say you haven't, well, you're either bald or lying!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I have been told by trainers that muscle weighs the same as fat but takes up less room. Guess I need to research that.

My husband is a body builder, not professionally though. He is considered overweight b/c of it. He is well over his BMI but I wouldn't consider him overweight at all.

I do think these contestants have at least 10-15 lbs of excess skin after so much weight loss!!!
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3895314;
    I have been told by trainers that muscle weighs the same as fat but takes up less room. Guess I need to research that.

My husband is a body builder, not professionally though. He is considered overweight b/c of it. He is well over his BMI but I wouldn't consider him overweight at all.

I do think these contestants have at least 10-15 lbs of excess skin after so much weight loss!!!
    A pound of muscle weights the same as a pound of fat. A pound of muscle takes up only one fifth the volume of a pound of fat. Or a pound of fat takes up 5 times as much volume/space as a pound of muscle does.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;3895041;
    The BMI table will never be accurate for someone who is a body-builder or has a lot of muscle as muscle weighs more than fat. Sam has shed a lot of fat... and gained a significant amount of muscle. He looks great and has learned a lot. I'm confident he will be able to continue his transformation journey

Daris looked great when he was in the room of mirrors - though, obviously, the poor boy is lacking in the "style" dept... I mean, plaid? really? LOL! I'm sure everyone has had the experience of leaving the stylists chair and having no fricken clue how to replicate that look on their own and if you say you haven't, well, you're either bald or lying!
    The current BMI charts and the BMI formula simply replaces the old height/weight charts. Body fat needs to measured on an individual basis. Bigger people tend to have denser bones and more muscle because they need it to hold up their heavier bodies. Regardless there is the entire skinny fat and fit fat argument. I personally like the electrical impedence testing as it measures the amount of fat, muscle, bone and other body tissues you have. Athough Sam is considered Overweight by the current BMI chart, I don't think he is. It is very obvious that Sam has gained a lot of muscle, unlike Koli, and is very likely within the normal percentage of body fat for a healthy male.

Another point is that when we (the fans) figure out percentages of who has lost the most we are going by pure numbers and not taking into consideration of the amount of muscle lost or gained or the amount of just body fat lost.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3894678;
    Firstly, I believe that Locks of Love is a sham. They sell most of the hair that is donated to them, they don't produce a lot of wigs, the charity was never meant to help kids with cancer, and the wigs they produce are usually not free. Secondly, there are a lot of requirements for hair donors. The hair has to be donated in a pony tail or braid and it has to be more than 10 inches. I don't know if they accept curly hair that has not been straightened to demonstrate that it is more than 10 inches. Daris' hair will likely be sold. Anyway, it is better to just buy a kid a wig.
    I've never disagreed with anything more. I volunteer with Locks of Love and I can tell you it is a wonderful program that gives a sense of self confidence to TONS of kids under 18 who are going through a very difficult time.

1> It is specifically for kids with cancer, and I have no idea why you would say it was "never meant" to help these children.

2> It's a registered non-profit organization, and if you don't think they get scrutanized around taxes you're crazy. There's no way they could be a "sham" and not end up sued into complete bankrupcy

3> They DO used dyed hair as long as it isn't bleached - only because the hair in the wig would crack off and who wants to give a child with cancer a crappy wigg??

4> They DO use curly hair as long as it can meet 10 inches when stretched out

5> They DO accept pony tails that have mixed length hair as long as the longest hairs are 10 inches

6> They do sell the shorter hair or otherwise unusable hair in wigs to other people but this is only to offset the production costs! Not much money is every donated, just hair, and it costs a lot to make quality wigs!

7> Your last statement is ricidulous. It costs a LOT of money for a wig that looks like real hair, and ANY family, even wealthy ones, even Canadian wealthy ones with health care plans spend a LOT of money to take care of a child with cancer! To relieve the financial burden of something non essential like a wig makes a world of difference because there are a lot of kids that would go around sick, miserable and bald otherwise!!!

It's just hair! I think it's wonderful that something that would otherwise just be thrown out can be grouped into a pony tail and made into something desperately wanted by youth at their lowest of lows. Anything to make them smile is more than worth it and in no way a sham.

Even by mentioning it in tonights show a lot more people might be aware of this wonderful program, so even if most of Daris's hair isn't usable, I'm so glad it came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimbo;3895451;
    I've never disagreed with anything more. I volunteer with Locks of Love and I can tell you it is a wonderful program that gives a sense of self confidence to TONS of kids under 18 who are going through a very difficult time.

1> It is specifically for kids with cancer, and I have no idea why you would say it was "never meant" to help these children.

2> It's a registered non-profit organization, and if you don't think they get scrutanized around taxes you're crazy. There's no way they could be a "sham" and not end up sued into complete bankrupcy

3> They DO used dyed hair as long as it isn't bleached - only because the hair in the wig would crack off and who wants to give a child with cancer a crappy wigg??

4> They DO use curly hair as long as it can meet 10 inches when stretched out

5> They DO accept pony tails that have mixed length hair as long as the longest hairs are 10 inches

6> They do sell the shorter hair or otherwise unusable hair in wigs to other people but this is only to offset the production costs! Not much money is every donated, just hair, and it costs a lot to make quality wigs!

7> Your last statement is ricidulous. It costs a LOT of money for a wig that looks like real hair, and ANY family, even wealthy ones, even Canadian wealthy ones with health care plans spend a LOT of money to take care of a child with cancer! To relieve the financial burden of something non essential like a wig makes a world of difference because there are a lot of kids that would go around sick, miserable and bald otherwise!!!

It's just hair! I think it's wonderful that something that would otherwise just be thrown out can be grouped into a pony tail and made into something desperately wanted by youth at their lowest of lows. Anything to make them smile is more than worth it and in no way a sham.

Even by mentioning it in tonights show a lot more people might be aware of this wonderful program, so even if most of Daris's hair isn't usable, I'm so glad it came up.
    Even Daris's hair is usable. There are several salons in the DC area collecting hair and donating it this charity that makes hair mops out of the discarded hair and those hair mops are used in oil spills as the hair absorbs the oil.

I think I heard this on Hot 99.5 but I did not get the name of the charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3895341;
    A pound of muscle weights the same as a pound of fat. A pound of muscle takes up only one fifth the volume of a pound of fat. Or a pound of fat takes up 5 times as much volume/space as a pound of muscle does.
    Thank you. I haven't had time to research that but I thought it was something to the effect of muscle and fat weighing the same but more muscle means smaller size in clothing.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

I was really hoping they'd have someone associated with fashion helping them pick out clothes (ie Tim Gunn or Stacey London - someone like that). Its such an adjustment finding clothes for a different body type than you're used to dressing. I thought Darius looked like he was still buying clothes at Tractor Supply - just in a smaller size. Sunshine's yellow dress and black tights were not flattering IMO. And I thought the hoodie under the sportcoat look was passe. Or is that back in style again? I just thought they could have looked better. I usually enjoy the make-over episode, but this year, not so much.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PackerFan;3895697;
    I was really hoping they'd have someone associated with fashion helping them pick out clothes (ie Tim Gunn or Stacey London - someone like that). Its such an adjustment finding clothes for a different body type than you're used to dressing. I thought Darius looked like he was still buying clothes at Tractor Supply - just in a smaller size. Sunshine's yellow dress and black tights were not flattering IMO. And I thought the hoodie under the sportcoat look was passe. Or is that back in style again? I just thought they could have looked better. I usually enjoy the make-over episode, but this year, not so much.
    I think they had Tim Gunn on there last year. He must not have had a very good time.
    Wake up and be awesome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast