+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Season 9: ** Spoilers **

Season 9: ** Spoilers **

The first article has come out about the new season. I don't have a photo site to host the picture to at the moment, so if someone else wants to bring it over that would be great.

The Biggest Edition of The Biggest Loser Ever!

Last Tuesday, Danny Cahill became the biggest Biggest Loser ever when he dropped 239 lbs. in 7 months to win the eighth season title. Now, as NBC goes back to a couples edition of the series, the contestants and the challenges they face get bigger as well.

On Jan. 5, The Biggest Loser: Couples premieres with 11 teams of two competing for the Season 9 crown. Among the players are Michael Ventrella, a 30-year-old deejay from Chicago, who at 526 lbs. becomes the heaviest contestant ever on the series, and his is mother, Maria, a 51-year-old corporate travel agent.

“I would do anything for Michael,” his mom Maria, who starts at 281 lbs., tells PEOPLE. “At first I didn’t think I could do it because I have too many responsibilities at home. I have a husband who is disabled, my mom in a wheelchair, a full-time job, home cleaning — it’s a lot. But then he needed it so bad and so I am here, and I need it for myself, too!”

The Ventrellas are one of eight parent-child duos on the show this season.

Attorney Melissa Morgan, 39, and her husband Lance, 38, a rancher, hail from Aspermont, Texas, and are both interested in losing weight and saving their marriage.

California-based cousins Sam Poueu, 24, and Koli Palu, 29, were inspired by the success of Tongan cousins Sione and Filipe in Season 7 and hope to do the same for the people and culture of American Samoa.

Orlando, Fla., identical twins James and John Crutchfield, 30, weighed in at a combined 969 lbs. “I’m glad I’m here,” says James, “because my only other alternative is surgery.”

Here are the other teams vying for a $250,000 winner prize or $100,000 at-home prize:

Mom Patti Anderson, 55, a business owner, and daughter Stephanie Anderson, 29, a radio sales executive, from Lafayette and West Hollywood, Calif.

Mom Cherita Andrews a 50-year-old homemaker and daughter Vicky Andrews, a 22-year-old student from Houston, Texas.

Mom Miggy Cancel, 48, a Pemberton, N.J. chef and daughter Migdalia Sebren, 28, a homemaker from Sanford, N.C.

Mom Cheryl George a 50-year-old store-owner and son, Daris George, 25, a salesman, from Ardmore, Okla.

Father O’Neal Hampton, Jr., a U.S. Postal Service station manager, 51, and daughter SunShine Hampton, 24, a restaurant server, from Minneapolis, Minn.

Father Darrell Hough, a press operator and mechanic, 46, and daughter Andrea Hough, a 24-year-old executive assistant from Ann Arbor, Mich.

Mom Sherry Johnston, a 51-year-old non-profit administrator and daughter Ashley Johnston, a 27-year-old manager and esthetician from Knoxville, Tenn.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Season 9: ** Spoilers **

A lot more "daughters" than "sons".... You know, just in case there's some more TBL romance lurking around. The twin guys are young though... and at least one of the Samoans is a guy. But the mother daughter dynamics could be a theme.
    And over 500 lbs... wow...unless he's also very tall hard to believe he can move enough to profit from this.

Here is another article about them:

'Biggest Loser' Plans for Biggest Contestant

Introducing the new cast
    NBC/Mitchell HaasethYes, it's possible. The contestants for The Biggest Loser just keep getting bigger.

Season 9 premieres January 5 on NBC, and is chock full of special pairs. It also debuts the largest contestant in the history of the show, Michael Ventrella, a Chicago-based DJ who starts at 526 pounds (50 pounds more than Shay's initial weigh-in last fall). Having met him, I'll vouch that he is also one of the funniest cast members ever.

I noticed a few other things when I met with the full cast in September:

DJ Michael Ventrella
    • Michael doesn't seem that large in person... maybe because he was surrounded by a lot of other large men: Cousins Sam and Koli weigh 775 pounds combined, and twins James and John weigh 969 pounds combined. Michael's mom, Maria, is also a hoot (must be genetic), and is a traditional Italian chef. She's supposedly cooking for a lot of the cast this season, so I hope they share her recipes (hint, hint to the show publicists).

• The show invested in some new equipment for these larger contestants. I'm familiar with the gym from obsessively watching the show and working out with Bob at the Ranch last year so a water-based treadmill stood out during my latest visit. This equipment is very expensive, and also an indication of how challenging it is for Michael and some of the others to work out. (P.S.: I've lost 70+ pounds since that video was shot, thanks in part to the inspiration I get from this show. Anyone can do it — you just have to want to do it.)

• There are two father-daughter teams: the Hamptons (SunShine and O'Neal), and the Houghs (Darrell and Andrea). I promise you, these pairs will make you cry and smile. Watching these big strong men interact with their daughters, you see the kind of emotion and love you can't fake. The casting team is amazing — pairs like these are just one of the many reasons I love this show.

My out-of-the-gate prediction of who will win? I'm still debating, and I'll share those thoughts in early January.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

A water-based treadmill...is that under water do you think, so he isn't supporting all his weight? My knees and ankles like that idea!
    Maybe we will see more pool use this season.

I am starting to lose interest in this show. We will no longer be able to watch average people trying to lose weight. A person will have to be morbidly obese to even think about being on this show. I personally do not think the program this show uses is the best way for a 500 lb person to lose weight. It is not realistic. I really would like to see how TPTB will monitor the health problems.
    There's no place like home!

Well, I am glad to read that they bought some new equipment. I know most of the equipment at my gym has a 400 lbs weight limit. I do wonder how much they are going to have to modify their program to accomodate the heavier weights and health issues. Lord knows they can't start out with a mile run. I am looking forward to watching it I hope to drop my last 24 lbs while they all drop their 100 + lbs.

Here's to you dropping the 24lbs

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3770458;
    I am starting to lose interest in this show. We will no longer be able to watch average people trying to lose weight. A person will have to be morbidly obese to even think about being on this show. I personally do not think the program this show uses is the best way for a 500 lb person to lose weight. It is not realistic. I really would like to see how TPTB will monitor the health problems.
    People keep saying that the TBL method is not the best way...I'd like to know what IS the best way. All they do is exercise and learn to eat properly. The rapid loss is due to the extensive workout time (which I'm given to understand is how movie stars bulk up for certain roles - I seem to recall reading about the 4 hours per day Linda Hamilton spent in the gym to prepare for Terminator II, but no one shook their heads over how "unhealthy" that was ). They could do it slower, I suppose, but why is that better? The quicker the weight comes off, the quicker the blood pressure goes down and the risk of diabetes drops. Not to mention the multitude of other health issues that go along with carrying a hundred or more extra pounds. Is it better or safer to undergo weight loss surgery? There's a lot of risk with gastric bypass surgery, and the dangers are greater the heavier the patient is. I think that the time spent at the ranch - which, admittedly, is not possible for everyone, but if one opts for surgery they're looking at 6-8 weeks recovery time if there's no complications - under doctor's care, with a program set up by professional personal trainers, and being taught how to cook and eat healthily, is the best possible way. The contestants are very fortunate to get that opportunity.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Are they really being taught how to be healthy? Not according to my doctor. He wants slow and steady. How many will keep the weight off over the years? Some, of course, but the majority will have gained it back within 5 yrs

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3771028;
    Are they really being taught how to be healthy? Not according to my doctor. He wants slow and steady. How many will keep the weight off over the years? Some, of course, but the majority will have gained it back within 5 yrs
    MOST people who lose weight gain it back. Sad but true. Yes, those who lose it slowly are more likely to keep it off, but a large percentage gain it back regardless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast