+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11/25 "Where Are They Now" Show Discussion

Re: 11/25 "Where Are They Now" Show Discussion

No, they didn't show Ryan. Here's an interesting article that somewhat relates to why he didn't appear on the show: The New York Times > Log In

I really suggest that you all read it. It gives out lots of juicy details about the show, such as how the contestants are not allowed to talk to reporters with the show's permission. I wonder what that says about the show.

The "Where are They Now?" episode was really well-done, but it just shows how hard it is to keep up with the weight loss. Honestly, this is going to sound horrible, but most of them are still overweight. I know that I shouldn't take away from their successes and that they lost a lot of weight to get to the point where they're at now, but only a few of them are at that truly healthy weight.

I don't know if I can blame them though. Just looking at that above article, it just proves that the show is the very last resort for these people before they go for surgery. They're desperate, and when they go on the ranch, it's like that place that they all want to focus on weight loss and only weight loss. But when they're back at home, it's hard. The temptations are there, and they're real. I wish them all the best of luck at maintaining the weight loss, because it's probably that hardest journey that all of these contestants take in their lives.

Anyway, it was great seeing some of the past contestants. Matt & Suzy are adorable. His Iron Man race was so inspirational and my favorite part of the episode. I'm so sad that he missed the cutoff. I wished they had shown Jaron's success after Matt's segment, so that they would have ended on a happier note. Loved seeing Tara again. And Shellay and Amy. And Colleen. And Pete--the guy is looking great!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3759143;
    {snip} Honestly, this is going to sound horrible, but most of them are still overweight. I know that I shouldn't take away from their successes and that they lost a lot of weight to get to the point where they're at now, but only a few of them are at that truly healthy weight. {snip}
    Isn't it better to be LESS overweight... lose SOME weight... than just continue gaining it? I've heard it said that even losing 10% of your body weight is better for your body.

Kinda like being a smoker and quitting. Sure it's best to never start, but it's always better to quit at some point as opposed to figuring "heck, I've smoked for 20 years, why bother quitting now"?

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;3759179;
    Isn't it better to be LESS overweight... lose SOME weight... than just continue gaining it? I've heard it said that even losing 10% of your body weight is better for your body.

Kinda like being a smoker and quitting. Sure it's best to never start, but it's always better to quit at some point as opposed to figuring "heck, I've smoked for 20 years, why bother quitting now"?
    Of course it is. Like I said, they all worked so hard to get that weight off. And I've read about that also, how it's an achievement to have lost 10%.

But they all came to this show to reach that goal weight, and only some of them got to that point. It was expected though. It's difficult in the real world. I'm not saying that they should be skeletons--they most definitely should not be. For example, Erik and Helen looked way too skinny at the finale for my taste. But take a look at Helen now. She looked great! She didn't bounce back like many of the others, but she also didn't maintain that skeletal look. She achieved that nice, healthy weight that all of the contestants want to stay at. If she can maintain that weight, only time will tell. But looking at the WATN episode, many of them still have that extra weight. Do I blame them for it? No. Well, maybe a part of me does, since everyone is accountable for their actions. But the ranch is unrealistic. It was the environment where they truly focused on the weight. With their daily lives, there isn't time to focus solely on the weight since there's also other things to take care of. So yeah, just managing to keep off the majority of the weight is an achievement. But if you were to ignore what they did to get to the point they're at now, most are still a bit overweight.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 11-29-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I just watched it now. I hated Vicky when she was on the show, but I thought she acquitted herself pretty well here. I loved the section with Mike and family. Enjoyed the Ironman section. Tara didn't grate as much as she could have. I was happy to see Nicole and Damien-- I'd wished they stuck around longer. One of my favorites (and one who seems to have kept herself at a healthy weight) was the 5'1" blonde whose name escapes me. I didn't watch the season but I found her honesty refreshing when she said that she'd been told that formerly obese people have to work out 1.5-2 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, and while she didn't believe it initially, she's discovered that it is really the key. And she's kept to it and kept her weight between 127-135. That sort of awareness, I think, is big. It's way too easy to rest on your laurels otherwise.

Also liked seeing Phil and Amy. Phil looks fantastic still, and Amy looks great too! Nice to see that they get into working out together.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 11-30-2009 at 11:59 PM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JulieAnn;3758395;
    My sister and I were talking about the show yesterday and she commented that most of the people they showcased on the show had been trained by Jillian.

I don't remember, exactly (and I was only 1/2 watching the show), so I thought I'd throw her comment out to the BL experts on here.
    I'd attribute it to a couple of reasons. First, that Jillian puts more effort to getting to the why the person gained that much weight in the first place. Also, I've heard (but can't confirm) that she tends to keep in touch with more people after the show than Bob does. I think having Jillian on the phone once in a while would help motivate.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3759987;
    One of my favorites (and one who seems to have kept herself at a healthy weight) was the 5'1" blonde whose name escapes me. I didn't watch the season but I found her honesty refreshing when she said that she'd been told that formerly obese people have to work out 1.5-2 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, and while she didn't believe it initially, she's discovered that it is really the key. And she's kept to it and kept her weight between 127-135. That sort of awareness, I think, is big. It's way too easy to rest on your laurels otherwise.
    Julie, wasn't it? i liked her too
    _(Moo!)

I didn't get to watch the WATN special or tape it, does anyone know if it's going to be online or rerun at some point? I really want to see this.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Does anyone remember Mo, a really big (well, maybe not by today's standards, but the standards of back then) black man from one of the earlier seasons, a really sweetie pie? I always wondered what happened to him... He's never been on any of the call back shows, and he was so popular I'd think he would be if he had kept most of it off....but he was so heavy you felt if he didn't he'd have had a heart attack by now.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3760276;
    Does anyone remember Mo, a really big (well, maybe not by today's standards, but the standards of back then) black man from one of the earlier seasons, a really sweetie pie? I always wondered what happened to him... He's never been on any of the call back shows, and he was so popular I'd think he would be if he had kept most of it off....but he was so heavy you felt if he didn't he'd have had a heart attack by now.
    i do, only vaguely, and only enough to remember that he was on season one and very well liked. a little wikipedia reminds me that his name is maurice walker, and i can't find anything anywhere more recent than the finale about him.

maybe he's on social networking sites somewhere?
    _(Moo!)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG;3760297;
    i do, only vaguely, and only enough to remember that he was on season one and very well liked. a little wikipedia reminds me that his name is maurice walker, and i can't find anything anywhere more recent than the finale about him.

maybe he's on social networking sites somewhere?
    Right, that's the guy. Does anyone know?

And yes, as someone noted above, it seems like those who've done the best keeping it off have all become personal trainers, who are basically still working out several hours a day. A bit depressing re the real world!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast