+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

  1. #51
    FORT Fanatic ElizabethG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    784

    Re: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

    Very interesting article! When is this reunion special supposed to air? I would love to see and hear how many of the former contestants are doing now.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

  2. #52
    FORT Fogey Starshine_16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,438

    Re: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

    Tonight at 8.

  3. #53
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,496

    Re: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

    She said contestants are medically checked and disqualified if they are dehydrated or are found to be taking drugs or diuretics
    I haven't watched every season but I have yet to see anyone kicked off (for any reason) so ...maybe they are doing it and being allowed to get away with it, I don't know. Or maybe they are only doing "allowed" things like not drinking as little water (as said by Kai, a former contestant) as they can the day before the weigh-in. It is definitely extreme but...it is the nature of the beast, it being a reality show. They want the wow, the drama, rather than the "boring" stories of people losing 1-2 pounds a week. And I do believe that the doctors would intervene if they were seriously harming themselves. We have seen cases where contestants were forbidden to exercise and even hospitalized. And while some of them gain it back..that's true of any diet program. I know some have kept it off (maybe not all, but a good portion).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  4. #54
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

    After reading this article, and watching how many people struggle to balance work, family and exercise with obesity and their minds (the biggest culprit in my opinion), I can't believe that the show bashes weight-loss surgery (in their case meaning gastric bypass seemingly) when the lap-band surgery is very safe, relatively few complications, and not the malabsorption nutritional issues of the RNY?? For people who've tried everything else, this should be mentioned as an option - I did it in January 09 and am down almost 60 pounds. It does require planning and exercise, and is not the "quick-shed" of pounds that RNY often produces, is adjustable, and really is the tool that for many would give them that "oh yeah" I'm full (you FEEL full on little food, and stay full much longer) OR I can't eat that anymore (because it'll get stuck or not feel good going down) that many need. You focus on protein and liquids first, while still needing a balanced meal and a couple of vitamins. You don't need to exercise 6 hours a day - can be the more normal 30 min/day (or less if someone has joint or other problems).

    Losing 2-3 pounds or less a week while feeling satisfied - that's what most people are looking for!

  5. #55
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    415

    Re: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

    Jillian just rides Rudy's backside, doesn't she? She couldn't accept that Rudy had voted Rebecca off because he didn't trust her. Nope. Jillian knew better. She knew it was all game play and refused to accept any other reasoning.

    Maybe we should have elected Jillian president since she seems to know it all

    Seriously, I know her workouts work and her books, etc., have helped a lot of people but she seems to have gotten the "I know the truth about you" mentality going and it is unseemly.

  6. #56
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,496

    Re: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3757301;
    After reading this article, and watching how many people struggle to balance work, family and exercise with obesity and their minds (the biggest culprit in my opinion), I can't believe that the show bashes weight-loss surgery (in their case meaning gastric bypass seemingly) when the lap-band surgery is very safe, relatively few complications, and not the malabsorption nutritional issues of the RNY?? For people who've tried everything else, this should be mentioned as an option - I did it in January 09 and am down almost 60 pounds. It does require planning and exercise, and is not the "quick-shed" of pounds that RNY often produces, is adjustable, and really is the tool that for many would give them that "oh yeah" I'm full (you FEEL full on little food, and stay full much longer) OR I can't eat that anymore (because it'll get stuck or not feel good going down) that many need. You focus on protein and liquids first, while still needing a balanced meal and a couple of vitamins. You don't need to exercise 6 hours a day - can be the more normal 30 min/day (or less if someone has joint or other problems).

    Losing 2-3 pounds or less a week while feeling satisfied - that's what most people are looking for!

    I don't think the show has bashed weight loss surgery. I recall some contestants (Shay, for example) talking about having the surgery but deciding to try the show instead. And Ron from last year talked about it not working for him. I don't recall the trainers or any of the contestants saying it is not a viable option. Have they? For some it is, but not for all (just like any option). It can work as you yourself prove. Good for you.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  7. #57
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565

    Re: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3756652;
    Ok, this Suze Orman segment is a bit much for me.
    Do people actually watch this woman? She seems so damn fake. With the overly tanned skin and fake big smile and snappy little slogans she seems like a female version of those Guy Smiley confidence tricksters/hucksters my grandma always warned me might come around trying to sell me something...

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  8. #58
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    295

    Re: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3757351;
    I don't think the show has bashed weight loss surgery. I recall some contestants (Shay, for example) talking about having the surgery but deciding to try the show instead. And Ron from last year talked about it not working for him. I don't recall the trainers or any of the contestants saying it is not a viable option. Have they? For some it is, but not for all (just like any option). It can work as you yourself prove. Good for you.
    They were bashing it last night when Suze Orman was on. Mostly about the cost involved- not the actual surgery- but the effect was the same I guess. (to me anyway)

  9. #59
    the simple things babymay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,588

    Re: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;3757423;
    They were bashing it last night when Suze Orman was on. Mostly about the cost involved- not the actual surgery- but the effect was the same I guess. (to me anyway)
    The problem the show seems to have with the surgery is that it helps oyu lose weight, but it won't get to the cause of the weight gai in the first place. That is why Jillian is always trying to get it out of the contestants. If they don't know why they are heavy, no amount of diets, exercise or surgery will help keep it off.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

  10. #60
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,121

    Re: 11/24 Show Discussion Thread....Spoilers

    I was just going over the weight in of the last show and noticed that now that Liz is under 200lbs she is looking younger and happier. She has less puffy cheeks and the lines around her eyes are a lot smoother. This is what I love, watching people transform like that. Its both physical and mental.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.