+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 11/17 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fan

Re: 11/17 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;3753398;
    I agree and disagree. Certainly anyone who is morbidly obese has self-esteem issues. I know I did. But the self-esteem issues did not create my obesity. They were a result of my obesity. I think most people have things happen in their lives that are hard and they need to deal with the emotion of that. The problem I have with what Jillian does is that it plays into the whole idea of blaming your problems on your life circumstances. I'm obese because my mother was a heroin addict. I'm obese because my sister died. I'm obese because my father abused me when I was a child. No, I'm obese because I chose to eat too much. I made the choice. I wasn't forced into it. I think it's critical for anyone trying to change their life to own their choices instead of finding some emotional issue to blame it on. If I chose it, then I can choose something different. I was able to lose 150 lbs and keep it off only when I decided by my choices to stop eating myself to death. The reason I love Abby so much is that she acknowledged that she needed to deal with the pain of losing her whole family, but she never once blamed her obesity on that loss. She was clearly obese before she lost her family.

The other problem I have with what Jillian is doing is that she is not a licensed psychologist. She's obviously very qualified to train these people and they develop trust in her because of that, but just because they trust her as a trainer does not mean that they want to have her be their counselor/confesser. When she insists on having them spill their emotional issues with her, I think she is crossing the line. Rudy had no obligation to tell her about his sister and she had no right to insist that he tell her about it.
    I totally agree. It's good to know what your triggers are for eating, because that can help you to stop. But knowing that you got fat because your sister died is not going to make you lose weight. Admitting that you need to eat less and exercise more, and that you need to do it for yourself, is what will do that. Not to mention, a lot of the things that Jillian digs out of them cannot be changed. No amount of talking will bring Abby's family or Rudy's sister back, or change Shay's terrible childhood. If they need therapy to deal with those things, they should talk to someone who knows what they are doing.

FORT Regular

Isn't Jillian's mom a psychologist?

I remember her being on with Jillian one season and her whole team at that time saw her.

I thought the makeovers were pretty ho-hum. They just curled Amanda's hair, cut Rebecca's a few inches, shaved Allen's face & head, and blonded Liz. I hated Danny's...I kinda liked the gray and the soul patch. He looks like a high-school math teacher now. The one I thought turned out great was Rudy. Who knew there was such a nice-looking man underneath all that hair? Once the rest of that weight comes off he'll be downright hot.

I'm sure Jillian's interrogation of Rudy regarding his sister's death is just something to amp up the drama factor. Having said that, I don't think there's anything wrong with talking to a layperson about a personal tragedy. There's not necessarily a need to race to the therapist if there's a friend with a willing ear around. Having said THAT, the loss of a child in a family has to be the most earth-shattering and horrendous thing to go through, for both parents and siblings. It seems impossible that anyone would come through that experience unscathed and without crippling emotional baggage. While it's true that some people just really enjoy eating, I think that it's not just about how much you like McDonald's fries when you become two to three hundred pounds overweight. We accept that people who abuse drugs or alcohol have underlying issues, so why not food addiction and overeating?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

They blonded Liz's hair? I really didn't notice any difference in her hair style, it still looked grey and a page boy, no difference at all.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3753967;
    They blonded Liz's hair? I really didn't notice any difference in her hair style, it still looked grey and a page boy, no difference at all.
    it wasn't drastic, and the gray still shone through, but yes they did a blonde wash of some kind. it made her look less steely but allowed her to continue aging gracefully with her hair color. i don't think they changed the cut much though, just added some volume with styling products

ETA: just flipping through the makeover pictures on the biggest loser website, they really layered her hair so that instead of a simple bob with bangs, it lays closer to her head and has some angles around her face. it's a nice cut. and just the slightest bit of coloring
    Last edited by MamaAmyG; 11-20-2009 at 08:48 AM.
    _(Moo!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3753967;
    I agree. I did not notice a difference, except that they styled it a little for the makeover reveal. Once she was back at the ranch, she looked like the same old Liz to me!

CCL

^ I agree. I remember seeing her back at the ranch after the makeover and her hair looked the same...
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3753660;
    I'm sure Jillian's interrogation of Rudy regarding his sister's death is just something to amp up the drama factor. Having said that, I don't think there's anything wrong with talking to a layperson about a personal tragedy. There's not necessarily a need to race to the therapist if there's a friend with a willing ear around.
    I agree that there's nothing wrong with talking with a layperson. But Rudy clearly didn't want to talk about it and Jillian kept pushing...that bugged. And the way Jillian just brought up Abby's tragedy out of nowhere when Abby was on the rowing machine...I don't think Jillian is the most tactful of people.
    As for whether her techniques get results...yes, she has trained the winner frequently (always? Didn't see the first few seasons). But that's not necessarily because of her emotional probing. That could be because she has better workout techniques and/or gives her contestants better diet techniques.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fan

Just my opinion, but I personally don't see that Jillian having more "winners" on TBL than Bob is proof that her training methods are superior. There are too many other factors including game play, who goes below the yellow line at the right time, and the individual's drive to succeed. I can see that both Bob and Jillian are excellent trainers and they have both gotten excellent results with the contestants they've trained.

FORT Regular

Are there ever any pictures posted of what the contestants look like today? I can't believe that all of them lose the weight AND keep it off.

Yes Rebecca is gone.

Lol It was funny how she was plotting last week that there were 2 teams , the young against the old and the ones who started this divide were Rebecca, Amanda and Shay.

Now all of a sudden she crawls to Allen and Rudy saying she needs it more than Liz? And people think Rudy is the mean guy?
    He is honest and looks her in the eye.
    Yes now I want Amanda Miss America to be gone and I am a happy camper.

O I never like the make overs.
    Rebecca's hair, it looks like a wig.
    Amanda not much change there.
    Danny I liked his make over the best
    Allen horrible suit and it appears he did not lose so much.
    Liz. I liked it even though i hate leopard or what was it print.

Go Oldies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast