+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 10/20 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/20 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Psychologists tell us that huge rifts can devlope in relationships when one person changes and the other one does not.

When one person in as couple loses wieght that can cause a lot of problems because their relatioinship has often been built around--or evolved to be around--the weight of the two people--notice that most of the partners of the overwieght people are also overweight. Most of their activitries and interactions can revolve around food and in avoiding physical activities--choosing to watch tv for example and food prep and ingestion instead of engaging in sports or other physical activitirs.

So sometimes in a relationship where one person loses weight the other one may try to sabotage their partner. (Taking them to restaurants that only serve fatty foods for example. Or trying to insist they drink calorie-laden alcoholic drinks like they used to instead of letting them choose low-cal fruit juice or sodas etc.)

This is often subconscious of course--but there can be an overwhelming need to have the "old person"/old comfortable relationship back--and not have to try to adjust to the "new person" and new situation in which the one who lost weight now has more energy and isn't content to just sit around.

There is also the jealousy factor in which a man will now see his less heavy partner as being more attractive to other men than when she was overweight.

And the one who has changed can become quite unsympathetic to the one who has not changed. Was it Shay who was so critical of her husband for the fatty foods he was choosing? Showing the fat dripping off and wondering how anyone could eat that? She has changed her outlook and viewpoint and now is not patient with anyone who cannot change. (Religious converts often exhibit similar zeal.)

Psychologists often recommend couples counselling when one person changes a lot.

Oh also--women who go back to work or who start earning more money that their husbands also see this kind of situation develop.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana;3733028;
    Dina was let go - not a huge suprise to me actually. What was odd, was that in her update video there was no mention of her husband. When she was home, she seemed a bit down on him. As an overweight person, she should know first hand that when someone else harps on you about what you eat, it is hurtful. I wondered if there may have been problems with those two. And her son at the gym - what the heck were the producers thinking showing that!?!? I bet they got a bunch of bad feedback--way too dangerous for the kid to be there. :nono

I actually liked Dina- and thought she would go farther. Why didn't they let Daniel go? Someone upthread said something about his brother- I don't recall him having a brother- and he wasn't in family photos, was he? I had the feeling that Dina and her husband are separated- I thought that from the beginning when she would mention missing her son, but not much about hubby. Then she said "When I'm at the ranch he is with his dad and taken care of" strange choice of words- instead of "he's at home with his dad". Then I don't think I saw her wedding ring on after her make over.

To the Point

Daniel didn't have a brother as far as we know. He came on last season with a friend who really didn't want to be there.

I thought the family interactions were a bit weird with both Dina and Shay. My family immediately responded in a confused manner when Shay's step-sons didn't know why she had been gone. That's just not what I would consider normal.

I just can't put a finger on Tracy. She just seems "off" somehow. There is something that doesn't seem "balanced" about her and her actions/reactions. While I do understand the "me" attitude, it just seems to be to the extreme. She seems to be missing any concern/empathy for the others on the ranch with her. It's okay to be "me" focused. It's even necessary. Her facial expressions often leave me bothered in that they seem to indicate a total lack of concern/empathy for others.

BTW, I think we got a glimpse of why Liz decided she needed to defend Tracy on FB. She's every bit as much a player.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3733112;
    Daniel didn't have a brother as far as we know. He came on last season with a friend who really didn't want to be there.

I thought the family interactions were a bit weird with both Dina and Shay. My family immediately responded in a confused manner when Shay's step-sons didn't know why she had been gone. That's just not what I would consider normal.

I just can't put a finger on Tracy. She just seems "off" somehow. There is something that doesn't seem "balanced" about her and her actions/reactions. While I do understand the "me" attitude, it just seems to be to the extreme. She seems to be missing any concern/empathy for the others on the ranch with her. It's okay to be "me" focused. It's even necessary. Her facial expressions often leave me bothered in that they seem to indicate a total lack of concern/empathy for others.

BTW, I think we got a glimpse of why Liz decided she needed to defend Tracy on FB. She's every bit as much a player.
    Speaking of Daniel and his old partner David, I wonder if David ever continued on his weight loss journey? Also what happened to Mike's brother who was so heavy but too young to be on BL? Last I heard Mike's brother had lost 100lbs. But what happened later?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fanatic

Just a few thoughts on the show:

Dina - I felt bad for her when they went out to eat.... although I'm sure it was set up intentionally, but really,
    did they need to go to Mexican restaurant and order all that food? As for her son and the gym. I found
    it nice he was so supportive of his mom... I'm sure him on the exercise equipment was a photo op, I didn't see an issue with it. And yes, there are a number of kids at the YMCA I go to who are by the exercise equipment. My kids took classes, but I'm sure many didn't. I've actually had to say things to kids and/or parents at times. I actually threw myself into a wall coming around a corner on the running track one time to avoid taking out a kid running the wrong way around the track. I wasn't a happy camper. I know its not a standard in other gyms, but at the YMCA, where they have tons of kids stuff, its unavoidable (even though we complain). I too wonder about what happen to her husband as he wasn't in the after pictures at all.

Shay - Well I think enough has been said. I do think the whole family thing was weird with her. The step kids really didn't seem that attached to her, I wonder if their mother has custody of them most of the time, which would account for them really not knowing that she had been gone and where she was all this time. It was all just so strange. But the girl definately has some issues, especially with her own accountability. She blames everything on someone or something else... and as much as I don't like her whining... I think this show will help her in the end.

Tracey - Glad to see her finally get into the gym.... although I imagine she still has some restrictions.

FORT Fogey

Both Dina and Shay struggle financially and don't appear to have regular extended family. What was shown is probably all there is. That, by itself, explains a lot - not the least of which are their dynamics with their significant others and kids/step kids.

This may sound harsh, but when money is a struggle, I think people are inclined to latch on to people who may be able to provide an element of stability - whether love is involved or not. I'm guessing that is what happened with Dina and Shay.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3733081;
    But, but she deserves to stay. She needs it the most. Cause she had such a hard life, and she works three jobs, and she put herself through college and it because she is the biggest person EVER on the show and because she wants it more than the others, and she works harder than Julio and because the drama should be about her and not Tracey, and because whiners can be winners.
    Exactly and another reason to say bye bye. Victims are very hard to love.

Mikesgal- I actually liked Dina- and thought she would go farther. Why didn't they let Daniel go? Someone upthread said something about his brother- I don't recall him having a brother- and he wasn't in family photos, was he? I had the feeling that Dina and her husband are separated- I thought that from the beginning when she would mention missing her son, but not much about hubby. Then she said "When I'm at the ranch he is with his dad and taken care of" strange choice of words- instead of "he's at home with his dad". Then I don't think I saw her wedding ring on after her make over.
    Ah ha. This makes perfect sense. Seems silly to keep this out of the show. What on earth difference does it make?

It was clear to me that Shays boyfriend did not have his sons over much at all. The scene was very strained and stranger still that he didn't inform the kids where she had been before she walked in the door! He really loves Shay though.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3733112;

I thought it was interesting that the friend wasn't in Daniel's home scenes. Maybe because he stopped losing weight - or maybe because he and Daniel aren't friends anymore due to differing lifestyles these days (Daniel continued losing at home).

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3733117;
    Speaking of Daniel and his old partner David, I wonder if David ever continued on his weight loss journey? Also what happened to Mike's brother who was so heavy but too young to be on BL? Last I heard Mike's brother had lost 100lbs. But what happened later?
    PWS and CCL were saying in the Boston Marathon thread that he had lost a lot of the weight, that Mike had gained some (but it was muscle bulk) and that Ron was maintaining. So good news of that family!

I doubt David continued? He didn't seem to lose much for the finale, and seemed to show little interest. I hope things have changed. I was kind of hoping to see David there for Daniel's return home, but if they are no longer friends, I think that's sad.

FORT Newbie

Interesting show last night...lucky for Blue that Rudy had such a great week cuz if he hadn't they'd have had to send someone packing...wonder if it would have been Tracey...interesting to see Liz and Tracey laughing it up during the milk trainer tip, maybe Liz is all talk and no bite?

I agree with all about Shay's trip home. I found it very weird that the boys didn't know she was gone or didn't even seem to care who she was...they must live with their mom. The BF looked to be very happy tho but I don't get the "I hardly recognized her" from him - seriously? She looks exactly the same and I see no huge transformation from her personally. I'm tired of her whining and hope she goes home soon - enough with the "I'm the biggest one here and I need it the most" - BS! Everyone there needs it the most! And don't get me started about her complaining of Abby's low loss...honey, you lost 1 more pound than Abby and you weigh almost 200 lbs more than her!

I was surprise it was Dina up for elimination with Daniel...I personally think Daniel or Shay should have gone home. That's game play for ya tho. Dina did look great after her makeover and Im looking forward to seeing her at the finale.

Looking forward to next week.....

+ Reply to Thread