+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3732460;
    I only weigh once a week. Same time, same day, in same clothes

I lost 60lbs on WW from 7/07-3/08. I have kept it off until June this year. I gained 5 and now am up 15. I HATE IT! I'm trying to loose it but it's not coming off. I ran my first mini marathon in April and since then I keep gaining. Some of the gain was from injuries over the summer but now...it seems when I eat my extra "35 points" then I gain. I started to read Jillian's book Master Your Metabolism. She talks about this in there. She did the same thing. But to follow her guidance is expensive. I do a lot of what she says but I honestly can't afford to go 100% organic and home grown, home made, etc. I work outside the home full time, I have two girls, plus a boy ( I mean husband) to take care of. Not to mention all the activities we are involved in. Anyway, I started doing freezer meals this past week so I'm hoping and praying that will free up some extra time in the evenings to add an extra workout. I workout during my lunch hour here at work...we have a gym. I think I need to change up my routine some. At least that is what i'm trying this week. I just hate working out to a dvd at home.

It's frustrating now. I lost the 60...so how come I'm having problems with 15!!!!

Sorry.. didn't mean to load....
    Do you do any kind of interval training at all?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

More dairy foods in the diet may boost fat burning | Health | Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Eating plenty of dairy foods may help people who are trying to maintain their weight to burn more fat and eat more calories without putting on excess pounds, according to new research published in the journal Nutrition & Metabolism.

The study, funded by the National Dairy Council, didn't find that eating the recommended three servings of dairy food each day made any difference in helping people keep off the weight that they had lost, but it did show that they were able to consume more calories without gaining weight compared with people who consumed less than one dairy serving daily.

Being able to eat more calories may make it easier for people to stick to a weight-maintenance diet, suggest lead researcher Dr. Michael B. Zemel of the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and his colleagues.

Zemel has received grants from the National Dairy Council, and also holds patents on the use of calcium in weight management.

Previous studies have shown that high calcium diets can reduce weight gain and fat accumulation in overfed rats, and may help the animals burn off fat and pounds when their diet is restricted, Zemel and his team note. Some studies in humans have also found that calcium promotes fat loss, possibly by making it harder for the body to hold on to fat cells.

However, no studies in humans have looked at whether calcium and dairy foods help people maintain their weight. To investigate, researchers had 338 obese men and women cut their calorie intake for 3 months.

Study participants who lost at least 10 percent of their weight or 10 kilograms were then randomly assigned to eat less than a single serving of dairy daily or more than three servings a day for the next 6 months.

During the weight maintenance portion of the study, weight and body composition were similar in both groups. However, people in the high-dairy group were eating 9 percent fewer calories than they were at the study's outset, compared with 22 percent fewer calories for the low-dairy group.

"This suggests that diets with recommended levels of dairy may be higher in energy content (calories) while producing similar effects on body weight and fat as diets low in dairy," the researchers write.

Men and women in the recommended dairy group also had lower blood levels of calcitriol, the active form of vitamin D, which blocks the breakdown and oxidation of fat cells.

They conclude that people who what to maintain their weight loss, dairy products can be added to their diet without contributing to weight gain.

SOURCE: Nutrition & Metabolism, online October 24, 2008.
    I love the internet, here is a very interesting article addressing the calcium issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3732563;
    That's okay mandmmom2. I recently read an article that said people who weigh in daily do better than those who weigh in once a week. I think the gist of it was that those who weighed in daily were more accountable. I don't know, though, since weight fluctuates so much throughout the week, I think it would drive me crazy.
    I know they say the last few pounds are the hardest. I guess you have to try something new. I don't have any tricks (I wish). I have heard that drinking milk is good for your metabolism (luckily I like milk) and that's a relatively cheap option.
    Good luck to you.
    I definitely see where weighing in daily would make one more accountable, but I did this for awhile and it mostly just made me crazy to the point of mild obsession. The time that I was most successful in losing weight and keeping it off was when I set myself up with a good routine at the gym and had workout goals rather than weight loss goals, and that's what I'm trying to do this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3733067;
    I definitely see where weighing in daily would make one more accountable, but I did this for awhile and it mostly just made me crazy to the point of mild obsession. The time that I was most successful in losing weight and keeping it off was when I set myself up with a good routine at the gym and had workout goals rather than weight loss goals, and that's what I'm trying to do this time around.
    I used to weight in every day and had no problem with it. If I was a couple pounds over that day I was just very careful not to overeat or to snack that day. I wasn't a great strain it just made me aware. I know lots of people say not to weight yourself everyday as you can get obsessed with it. But when I stopped doing it is when I started gaining weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3732663;
    Do you do any kind of interval training at all?
    I do. I do Jilian's 30 Day Shred and I run. I think I'm going to take a break from Jillian's dvd and do something different. I have to keep up my running though so doing a different dvd might be what I need. Guess we'll see. Thanks!!!

I do need to drink more milk and/or more calcium. I used to drink the WW smoothies...which is a protein powder and mix it with milk. Some of the flavors I like. I need to get some and try that for a week and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3733080;
    I used to weight in every day and had no problem with it. If I was a couple pounds over that day I was just very careful not to overeat or to snack that day. I wasn't a great strain it just made me aware. I know lots of people say not to weight yourself everyday as you can get obsessed with it. But when I stopped doing it is when I started gaining weight.
    Now that I have lost the weight and am currently maintaining, I weigh myself twice a week...every Sunday and Thursday...first thing in the AM. This way, I am not obsessing daily, but I am able to see fairly quickly if the scale starts moving upwards. Then I can readjust my diet and exercise, if needed. This works very well for me so far. Of course, I have just been maintaining for a few months now.

CCL

^ Good for you diluvlabs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3732661;
    I think that translate to taking calcium and vitamin D together. That when you take about 1200 (vitamin units) of calcium plus vitamin D it is easier to lose weight. I read Woman's World ( i think) at the grocery line all the time and they have great articles about losing weight and then of course all the recipes to gain it back.
    I love that about Woman's World.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3733087;
    I do. I do Jilian's 30 Day Shred and I run. I think I'm going to take a break from Jillian's dvd and do something different. I have to keep up my running though so doing a different dvd might be what I need. Guess we'll see. Thanks!!!
    It maybe that your body is used to your routine. I know it is a big pain in the ass to change your routine but it looks as if you will have to to see some results.

Are you using a HR - heart monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3733396;
    It maybe that your body is used to your routine. I know it is a big pain in the ass to change your routine but it looks as if you will have to to see some results.

Are you using a HR - heart monitor?
    I think you may be right. I was going to do my TaeBo dvd this week to change up with I've been doing but I've had a head and chest cold so I'm just sticking to walking and yoga. Maybe I'll do it next week though.

No, I don't use a HR. I need to get one. Suggestions on a good one? I usually go by how I feel...if I feel like I'm going to pass out then I know I'm getting a good workout.

+ Reply to Thread