+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 156

Thread: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

  1. #131
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,046

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Ownlyanangel--hi.

    You say--

    "Seriously though, I do work out 2 hours....my schedule was 3 days on, one day off, but I just didn't know if I should be pushing myself to get results, by doing my workout every day. Its a pretty tough workout...I do a combo of strength training with aerobics....but I am also just ticked off at my slow metabolism and sluggish thyroid, and I confess I am wholeheartedly jealous of the contestants on the show with their weight loss. I know I will get there....I was there, but then I put back the weight after my dad passed from cancer, I lost my job, and then my mom was diagnosed with cancer, all in a 7 month time span.....I think I overshared, but thanks for the reply. Maybe a nice walk or something "light" on the day that I don't work out. "

    That is a lot to deal with. It would be difficult for most people to maintain any kind of workout schedule with that kind of situation to deal with.

    Several thoiughts--are you doing your lifting before your cardio? Because if you do it after, the cardio "steals" most of the energy that would have gone to muscle development. Many trainers recommend doing the two different activities at separate times--or even days--for the best results.

    My other thought--are you seeing a doctor for the thyroid situation? IMO that would be a good and important thing to do for yourself. Taking care of yourself is a good way to memorialize your parents.

    Snding good thoughts your way.

  2. #132
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,122

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3773954;
    Ownlyanangel--hi.

    You say--

    "Seriously though, I do work out 2 hours....my schedule was 3 days on, one day off, but I just didn't know if I should be pushing myself to get results, by doing my workout every day. Its a pretty tough workout...I do a combo of strength training with aerobics....but I am also just ticked off at my slow metabolism and sluggish thyroid, and I confess I am wholeheartedly jealous of the contestants on the show with their weight loss. I know I will get there....I was there, but then I put back the weight after my dad passed from cancer, I lost my job, and then my mom was diagnosed with cancer, all in a 7 month time span.....I think I overshared, but thanks for the reply. Maybe a nice walk or something "light" on the day that I don't work out. "

    That is a lot to deal with. It would be difficult for most people to maintain any kind of workout schedule with that kind of situation to deal with.

    Several thoiughts--are you doing your lifting before your cardio? Because if you do it after, the cardio "steals" most of the energy that would have gone to muscle development. Many trainers recommend doing the two different activities at separate times--or even days--for the best results.

    My other thought--are you seeing a doctor for the thyroid situation? IMO that would be a good and important thing to do for yourself. Taking care of yourself is a good way to memorialize your parents.

    Snding good thoughts your way.
    Not necessarily. When I trained heavy, I would do weights first so I had the energy to work the legs and back really heavy, but regardless, my trainer would always have me do interval training on either the treadmill or elliptical for about 30 to 40 minutes afterward. That way if I was doing 4 weight sessions a week I could still do 2 40 to 60 minute slow steady cardio on the days I wasn't lifting and still have a 1 day of rest.

    My trainer always recommended that if I had the time to do cardio after weight training because by that time I had depleted all my glycogen reserves and was burning fat.

    Currently I am doing full body circuit style and boot camp style of training. When I do my full body circuits with my trainer I have been coming in early and getting about 30 minutes of cardio about 130 bpm to get the body nicely warmed up. (not because I wanted to, but because of the light traffic I got to the gym early and decided not to waste time) The nice thing about that is when I do cardio interval on the treadmill my knee and ankles do not bother me at all as they are thoroughly warmed up and I can do more at a faster pace. With this style of training where I am using moderate weights I can do more intense cardio 5 to 6 times a week.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 12-21-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  3. #133
    Kao
    Kao is offline
    Donyale y Dali: OTP Kao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Does anyone here use Wii Fitness?

  4. #134
    Go CATS!!!! mandmmom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3775723;
    Does anyone here use Wii Fitness?
    I don't but have friends who do...some like it others don't....

  5. #135
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,349

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3775723;
    Does anyone here use Wii Fitness?
    I've used it. It's a lot of fun but not challenging enough for me to replace my actual workout with. I did enjoy the yoga - when I was on summer holidays at my MIL's (she's the one who has it) I did that portion daily. I didn't much care for that little "oooh!" noise the game makes when you step on the board to be weighed.

    BTW, Jillian Michaels has a couple of Wii fitness games. I tried the 2009 version and it is awful - the game itself is a mess, it's poorly calibrated to the balance board, dreadful graphics, and it's really hard to judge if you're doing things properly. Apparently the 2010 version is a vast improvement and it's actually challenging.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  6. #136
    Kao
    Kao is offline
    Donyale y Dali: OTP Kao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    It'a working well for me and my partner so far. My balance has improved a lot thanks to the games, and I'm really enjoying the aerobic step and yoga. I've even started doing some of the strength exercises and I'm feeling...different. So I'll keep it up and see.

  7. #137
    Go CATS!!!! mandmmom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    My husband surprised us with the wii and witt fit plus for CHRISTmas. He so good to me and the girls :-) Anyway, I took the fitness test and did some of the "workouts". The one that works me the most is the super hola hoop. Everything else is fun and the balance games are great to improve balance but I don't get my heart rate up enough for it to replace my work outs. But it's a great addition to my work outs. I have heard Jillian's new wii game is great but the old one isn't.

  8. #138
    Go CATS!!!! mandmmom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3776147;
    BTW, Jillian Michaels has a couple of Wii fitness games. I tried the 2009 version and it is awful - the game itself is a mess, it's poorly calibrated to the balance board, dreadful graphics, and it's really hard to judge if you're doing things properly. Apparently the 2010 version is a vast improvement and it's actually challenging.
    A friend lent me the Jillian Michaels 2009 version and it was okay. I didn't like the graphics and I had lots of problems getting the person to do what I was doing...like jump on the logs...I was squatting and "jumping" but the person wasn't. Not sure if it is suppose to be like that but if it is then I don't like at all. If it isn't suppose to be like that then I'm an idiot and can't figure out what I was doing wrong....

  9. #139
    Kao
    Kao is offline
    Donyale y Dali: OTP Kao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Everything else is fun and the balance games are great to improve balance but I don't get my heart rate up enough for it to replace my work outs. But it's a great addition to my work outs.
    When you first start with the basics it's easier. When you start to unlock levels/different moves it gets a lot more difficult, and there's some exercises that we simply can't do right now. I think a lot also depends on your level of fitness beforehand; we both have jobs that require sitting 6-10 hours and not doing much walking, or aerobics. Since we've started with the Wii Fit we're a lot more flexible, and at this point it's definitely still challenging for us.

    We were thinking about getting the Wii Fit Plus in the future, but we're not sure. What the major difference between the original and Plus?

  10. #140
    Go CATS!!!! mandmmom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,780

    Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3779038;
    When you first start with the basics it's easier. When you start to unlock levels/different moves it gets a lot more difficult, and there's some exercises that we simply can't do right now. I think a lot also depends on your level of fitness beforehand; we both have jobs that require sitting 6-10 hours and not doing much walking, or aerobics. Since we've started with the Wii Fit we're a lot more flexible, and at this point it's definitely still challenging for us.

    We were thinking about getting the Wii Fit Plus in the future, but we're not sure. What the major difference between the original and Plus?
    I don't have the Wii Fit but now I have the Wii Fit Plus. I think the only difference is that is has more exercises and levels and such. I really like the Super Hoola Hop one....it gets my hips movings and hopefully slimmer soon!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.