+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

FORT Fogey

Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

I just finished my 30 miles of biking and one thing I forgot to mention is that when you get to the end of your workout--the hard part where it's hard to breath and your lungs feel ,like they're on fire--that's the time to push even harder.

I try to up my speed several miles an hour for my last five miles when I'm feeling like I'm going to fall off the bike if I have to go one more mile.

It's a great way to get your body conditioned and to burn even more calories.
    ______________________________ ______________________________ ____

ETA--of course I agree about being knowlegable about what one is doing.
    However I have seen too many people get discouraged by all the numbers and calculations and just give up on their workouts when it is really more important to do the activity than to worry about decimal points on a chart.

IMO based on my own experiences and from watching others getting started on a program of improving their health.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3756459;
    I just finished my 30 miles of biking and one thing I forgot to mention is that when you get to the end of your workout--the hard part where it's hard to breath and your lungs feel ,like they're on fire--that's the time to push even harder.

I try to up my speed several miles an hour for my last five miles when I'm feeling like I'm going to fall off the bike if I have to go one more mile.

It's a great way to get your body conditioned and to burn even more calories.
    ______________________________ ______________________________ ____

ETA--of course I agree about being knowlegable about what one is doing.
    However I have seen too many people get discouraged by all the numbers and calculations and just give up on their workouts when it is really more important to do the activity than to worry about decimal points on a chart.

IMO based on my own experiences and from watching others getting started on a program of improving their health.
    People get discouraged when they start a physical activity to improve their health and don't see the results they expect. People are also very busy and if they have the initiative to carve out time in their daily schedule to workout then they will stick to this lifestyle change if they can get the most bang for their buck, that is why the above posted information is so important to know. Besides as a beginning exerciser I wouldn't expect someone to know or need all the information. But for someone who has been exercising on a regular basis and is ready for more the information previously provided is a valuable resource.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

WD

Wow! Thank you very much for your guidance. That is a very good article. I definitely tend to overdo, which I attribute to my "all or nothing" mind frame (definitely not advantageous in some situations). I am going to check into getting a trainer. I think the fitness center I frequent offers four sessions for $100.

FORT Fogey

Our bodies are amazing. No matter what we do to them they adjust.

And that is a real problem in terms of exercising and losing weight. (and exercising o get stornger.)

When you do the same exercise for the same amount of time and at the same intensity, your body adjusts to it and starts to conserve calories again (which it is programmed to do to keep us alive). You can actually sense this becuase you start feeling that the exercise is "easy"--IE easier than it was when you first started doing it.

So--in order to continue losing weight and/or getting stronger it is absolutely necessary to increase the amount of time you do any given exrcise and/or change to a diferent more challenging form of exercise.

For example for a long time I did 20 miles a day of biking thinking that was "the most" I could do. And then I heard about just what I am posting here--and started increasing my time and intensity--and I have much improved my stamina and have lost more weight.

For people who are lifting weights for strength it is imperative that you do NOT let your body get comfortable with the lifting. As soon as you start to feel comfortable and NOT challenged by your lifting routine--increase the reps and/or the weigh in order to challenge your body again.

Some people recommend increasing the weight and/or reps every week for maximum results.

Otherwise your body stops making new muscle because it has figured out how to do what you want it to--lift the same amount of weight--and still conserve calories.

Amazing!

Have a quick question.....is it "ok" to work out everyday? Or do I need to take breaks? I would think if you have a sedentary lifestyle, a daily workout routine would be crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20;3772351;
    Have a quick question.....is it "ok" to work out everyday? Or do I need to take breaks? I would think if you have a sedentary lifestyle, a daily workout routine would be crucial.
    It is recommended that people have some kind of workout routine 6 days a week and rest on the 7th day. Rest on day 7 can mean (active rest) a relaxing walk, a yoga session, etc... Most experts do recommend 1 hour of activity a day. Activity can mean very different things depending on your fitness level. Prevention magazine or Prevention.com usually has good recommendations. Activity can mean, mowing your lawn, gardening, doing the laundry, or it can mean running 5 miles. Again depends on your fitness level.

If you are lifting very heavy weights or training for a marathon your body needs that day off from training to recover.

The only marathon I train for is....none, lol.

Seriously though, I do work out 2 hours....my schedule was 3 days on, one day off, but I just didn't know if I should be pushing myself to get results, by doing my workout every day. Its a pretty tough workout...I do a combo of strength training with aerobics....but I am also just ticked off at my slow metabolism and sluggish thyroid, and I confess I am wholeheartedly jealous of the contestants on the show with their weight loss. I know I will get there....I was there, but then I put back the weight after my dad passed from cancer, I lost my job, and then my mom was diagnosed with cancer, all in a 7 month time span.....I think I overshared, but thanks for the reply. Maybe a nice walk or something "light" on the day that I don't work out.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3772423;
    It is recommended that people have some kind of workout routine 6 days a week and rest on the 7th day. Rest on day 7 can mean (active rest) a relaxing walk, a yoga session, etc... Most experts do recommend 1 hour of activity a day. Activity can mean very different things depending on your fitness level. Prevention magazine or Prevention.com usually has good recommendations. Activity can mean, mowing your lawn, gardening, doing the laundry, or it can mean running 5 miles. Again depends on your fitness level.

If you are lifting very heavy weights or training for a marathon your body needs that day off from training to recover.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20;3772877;

Seriously though, I do work out 2 hours....my schedule was 3 days on, one day off, but I just didn't know if I should be pushing myself to get results, by doing my workout every day. Its a pretty tough workout...I do a combo of strength training with aerobics....but I am also just ticked off at my slow metabolism and sluggish thyroid, and I confess I am wholeheartedly jealous of the contestants on the show with their weight loss. I know I will get there....I was there, but then I put back the weight after my dad passed from cancer, I lost my job, and then my mom was diagnosed with cancer, all in a 7 month time span.....I think I overshared, but thanks for the reply. Maybe a nice walk or something "light" on the day that I don't work out.

Thanks!
    It would be a robot who didn't have a setback after a half year like that. Just imagine Jillian urging you to let it out...sharing can be good. My sympathies....

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3772423;

Most regimes are for 5 days of workout with 2 days off.

Whether it's running or weightlifting or treadmill work etc.

Especially intense regimines often recommend only working out for four days with two days off and one light day of other work.

For example--most serious lifters only lift 3-4 days a week. IE every other day in order to give the muscles time to create new muscle fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20;3772877;

Thanks!
    The best thing you can do as far as working out is consistency. I am horrible at it. But Consistency is what is going to get you results by the end of the year.

As far as your schedule, 3 days on and 1 day off. That is great. Just stick to it. One thing I noticed is that at this point diet/nutrition is key as well as a good nights sleep. Especially with all the stress you are dealing with right now. You have to take care of yourself so you will be able to take care of your loved ones. I think that at this point you have to take a good hard look at your activities and prioritize them. Some things will have to be dropped for the time being. You can't do everything.

Best of luck with everything.

+ Reply to Thread