+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Weight Loss, Diet, and Exercise Discussion

Anything with a gylcemic index below 50 is considered low and above 70 high. Watermelon is over 70, but pretty much all other fruit is below 50 (with a few exceptions...e.g., greenish bananas are ok , but overripe ones are not).
    All the berries are well under 50 although from what I can find out black/rasp/blue are somewhat lower than straw--although some lists have blue slightly higher than straw. If you want a snack that is way down there, try peanuts--a score of 10! And if you eat them dry roasted unsalted still in the shells, by the time you shell them you can blow a whole hour of snacking in front of the TV and feel quite full on relatively few calories!
    Cherries are among the lowest glycemic index fruits....also grapefruit.
    But it is a little ( or a lot) more complicated than that...there are different methods of measuring the GI, plus different people have different responses to the same food (e.g, diabetics vs. non-diabetics) plus different methods of food preparation matter.
    That said, plain old berries, eaten by themselves, are generally a good thing!
    Last edited by PWS; 11-03-2009 at 05:21 PM.

FORT Fanatic

If you eat grapefruit, check with your pharmacist to make sure there are no interactions with any prescriptions you may be taking. For instance, I found out (while researching grapefruit for helping the heart) that grapefruit and birth control pills don't like each other. That is NOT an "oops" I want at my age (almost 50)! It also interacts with some heart medications and others that I don't recall off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info PWS....interesting about the bananas. I had an "episode" of something when I was in college because of bananas. One morning I ate 2 bananas before driving to the campus and by the time I was halfway there, I was feeling very faint, lightheaded, confused, slightly nauseous, etc. Decided in my hazy state to go to the infirmary and see what in the world had come over me so suddenly, so I managed to drive to infirmary but parked very sloppy and barely made it in the door. The lady behind the counter noticed I was obviously weaving and looked about to drop, so she came around the counter and helped me to a chair and went and got one of the nurses right away. They came and led me to a room and tried to get some info from me but could barely get anything coherent. For some reason they did a finger prick and tested my blood....turned out I had a glucose(I think) count or some kind of count of only 43 which appeared to really surprise them - the nurse said your blood sugar level should be around 70 something? Anyway, they gave me a teaspoon of straight honey and within 1 minute I felt much, much better. They asked me what I had eaten that morning and I said "two bananas". One of the nurses commented it looked like i might be a reactive hypoglycemic.

Nowadays when I eat bananas I make sure to have something else with them because I really, really like bananas but they always make me feel slightly faint. Weird.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I did an evening boot camp yesterday and the instructor recommended that we get some protein and a carb within 15 to 20 minutes after working out. He gave as an example a banana and peanut butter, but watch the amount of peanut butter as it has a lot of fat. Use a tablespoon at most.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3743315;
    Thanks for the info PWS....interesting about the bananas. I had an "episode" of something when I was in college because of bananas. One morning I ate 2 bananas before driving to the campus and by the time I was halfway there, I was feeling very faint, lightheaded, confused, slightly nauseous, etc. Decided in my hazy state to go to the infirmary and see what in the world had come over me so suddenly, so I managed to drive to infirmary but parked very sloppy and barely made it in the door. The lady behind the counter noticed I was obviously weaving and looked about to drop, so she came around the counter and helped me to a chair and went and got one of the nurses right away. They came and led me to a room and tried to get some info from me but could barely get anything coherent. For some reason they did a finger prick and tested my blood....turned out I had a glucose(I think) count or some kind of count of only 43 which appeared to really surprise them - the nurse said your blood sugar level should be around 70 something? Anyway, they gave me a teaspoon of straight honey and within 1 minute I felt much, much better. They asked me what I had eaten that morning and I said "two bananas". One of the nurses commented it looked like i might be a reactive hypoglycemic.

Nowadays when I eat bananas I make sure to have something else with them because I really, really like bananas but they always make me feel slightly faint. Weird.
    If they were quite ripe bananas I guess they could have caused a sugar/insulin spike/crash.... 43 is VERY low.... Well, now you know how diabetics feel if they've had too much insulin... or other blood sugar lowering meds.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sjjmom;3732522;
    Hi Wind Dancer - I'd be interested in your book recommendations, if it's OK to post them here. I'm very overweight. I was successful in losing quite a bit of weight on WW several years ago (with no exercise) but ended up "falling off the wagon" and haven't been able to lose weight successfully ever since. I found a "6 week plan" to work up to running a 5K online, and have been following that program for a couple weeks. It's definitely going to take more than 6 weeks for me to work up to running that far - jogging for more than 1 minute at a time is really hard for me. I'd love more information about exercises that are safe for someone who is not used to much exercise. Thanks!

SJJMom--my apologies! I lost track of this thread and just saw your request now. I will--if it's okay with you--PM you some book suggestions by the end of the weekend.

Again--I apologize for not responding sooner!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3743318;
    I did an evening boot camp yesterday and the instructor recommended that we get some protein and a carb within 15 to 20 minutes after working out. He gave as an example a banana and peanut butter, but watch the amount of peanut butter as it has a lot of fat. Use a tablespoon at most.
    I do something similar... protein after a workout. I try to get a whey protein shake in me within 15-20 minutes after I'm done (I workout with a trainer who comes to my home). I can't handle carbs too soon after a workout but I do eat a small amount of oatmeal about 45 minutes before.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Newbie

I have put on 30 lbs. over the past 2 years, mostly related to a life change and injury. I've been trying for months now to lose the weight - gym 5-6X/week, cutting calories. I went down to 1500/day - no results. Dr. suggested I try 1200 - still nothing. I cut carbs about 2 weeks ago and am down 7 since then. Very tough for me as I LOVE carbs, and usually eat the good ones. Also, I won't eat artifical sweeteners. As I lose I will slowly add stuff like oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta back. I'm not much of a meat eater, but am having some turkey or chicken every day as well as vegetables, egg whites, and low-fat cheese. Still trying to keep my calories at 1200 but most days I don't even get that many in. Just last night I tried some 90% cacao chocolate. Really just a tad sweeter than baking chocolate - 2 squares had about 100 calories and 7 carbs.

madmmom, how are you doing with your detox?

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3742284;
    There is always a new diet chemisty discovery that negates the previous splash on the nutrition news front. And I have certainly gotten caught up in most of them until now. It is a big business and that is much of what this is about. Buy my book, listen to me, watch my videos, tivo my show and on and on. All anyone has to do is cut calories and move more. We all know what healthy choices in food are, unless we have been under a rock for the last 5 decades. I am living proof this works well and fast. I peeled off 40 pounds in less than 3 months and have kept it off for 6 months now by counting what goes in my mouth and walking daily. That is all. Sometimes we make way too much of things because we are hammered into thinking there are tricks to make us lose faster or better. I call the [mod edit] flag on most of it, only because I have gotten caught up it it, stopped paying attention and just did what made sense. Eat less and exercise more. It is really that simple. climbing off now.
    Ooh, I love this. So true, true, true!

I guess the standard eat a balanced diet and exercise is kind of a bore and a chore for people, everyone wants an easier and faster way. That's natural. But it is as simple as you said, and best of all, it can be practically FREE if you choose exercise that doesn't require expensive equipment.

Here's the sad and cynical truth: Life is a product... everyone is selling something and they will offer anything and touch on those things that we are most insecure about in order to make their bucks.

The advice is pretty simple and straightforward - eat less, move more - BUT, and this is a big but (no pun intended), following that advice is a whole lot more complicated. You can have great intentions and even for awhile great follow through, but if your mind isn't "right" and not totally, totally cleared of all the other garbage feeding into it, it's a whole lot more difficult.

I think that's why we - me included - have such a really hard time losing weight and staying in shape. We may believe our minds are totally with it and on board but in reality they aren't. If they were, we wouldn't let all the conflicting theories and newest fads affect us. I wouldn't have been sitting here contemplating trying something like Healthy Trim tablets yesterday. I wouldn't have kept going to the cake and cookies sitting in the breakroom at work or grabbing the three for a dollar bags of sugar babies from Walgreens on the way home. I'm not a stupid person and I was well aware of what I was doing. But I just couldn't stop it from happening.
    My mind is not where it should be. That's why I asked a couple of pages ago aren't there sugar/food rehabs like there are rehabs for drugs and alcohol. I know there is a big difference, after all, you have to eat to live and you don't have to take drugs or drink alcohol to live. Seems like with that kind of built in pressure, there would be more help with the food addictions.

Sorry to be rambling so much, I guess I am just kind of disgusted with myself for not having the willpower and know-how to be able to stop myself from making all these really bad food decisions.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

+ Reply to Thread