+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Show Discussion 4/28 *Spoilers*

FORT Regular

Re: Show Discussion 4/28 *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3432307;
    I don't know, Bob has looked pretty gaunt this season facially. My co-viewer said he went vegan over the summer and that is what led to the change in his appearance.
    I wouldn't say any of the finalists have been unhealthily thin at the finale (at least in the seasons I have seen). But some of them have appeared unnaturally/uncomfortably thin (meaning that they're at a weight that doesn't seem to suit them). That's why, as CrossingGuard mentioned above, they often gain a bit after the finale to get to a more natural (for them), sustainable weight.
    whew i thought i was the only one that noticed. Bob looked older and unwell most of the season, too me. he looks better now. i'm glad to see it was because of his change in diet.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by L144S;3432941;
    There is a video of Both have put a lot of weight back on. Local Biggest Loser Finalists Visit School - Wake County - MyNC.com
    yeah they did gain some back. i didn't watch much of last season. from the comments i've read about that season, i'm glad i didn't. there was an update on the black couple (sorry i don't remember their names from that season). they've started their own work out program. i think it mostly involves walking and hiking. read it in the washington post a month or so ago. i wish they would do a real update show. i imagine the contestants that really let themselves go (see ya later) wouldn't participate.

coach w. is a cutie. i'm from n.c. and growing up we didn't have phys ed instructors that looked like him. lol ironically, with the exception of my 9th and 10th grade instructors, they were always fat.

I just went to the nbc website. It says that past season winners will return to cheer on the final four as they do a full marathon!!! OMW!!! I just completed a half marathon last week for the first time ever. Can't imagine doing a full marathon. That is what... 26.2 miles! Holy Cow....

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, there's no way on earth Ron can put his knee through a marathon... I would hope the docs would forbid him even to try. Usually marathons have subset options like a half marathon or a 10K or walk. Hopefully he will do one of those.
    And yes, I also thought Bob looked too gaunt.

Bob looks like hell. His face is actually skeletal. *shudder* He is not looking like a great role model for the contestants at this point.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3434016;
    Well, there's no way on earth Ron can put his knee through a marathon... I would hope the docs would forbid him even to try. Usually marathons have subset options like a half marathon or a 10K or walk. Hopefully he will do one of those.
    And yes, I also thought Bob looked too gaunt.
    I can't believe these contestants are doing a full marathon...I can almost understand a half, but a FULL marathon is something people spend months training for...simply building up long, long distances.

Honestly, I really don't think it is beneficial for these folks at all to just go and bust out 20+ miles when they are not training to do that (it really amounts to 'shocking' your body). I get the impression that they do a lot of interval training and such...and I do not know if they have ever spent a few hours dealing with a nice little buildup of lactic acid in their muscles (if not, there is a good chance they are about to..and, not only will it SUCK during the race, it will practically kill them the next few days).
    Running 5 or 6 miles a day is nothing like trying to run a marathon as a race (and these contestants will push themselves, I am sure). Whenever you are involved in a race that feeling kicks in and you push yourself a bit harder--these contestants are NOT used to running this distance at any sort of reasonable pace (more trouble, as they will certainly try).

Who is NBC consulting on these outrageous schemes...? My guess is that they are just trying to make good tv and show everyone at home..HEY, you can run a marathon too (not true). Marathons are serious business and require months and months of specific training.
    Not cool, NBC.

As for Ron, if they are attending a real race (not just something set up by NBC) there will be other races going on. The half marathon often runs at the same time so he could do that. Many races will hold the 5k the night before...so I am not sure how that will work out. Either way, Ron can not do a full marathon. He could not even finish the half when they did it a few weeks ago.

(I wonder if it is a big race (it is road racing season!)...the biggies (with big $ for top finishers) are super strict...there will be no picking up folks in vans and all that crap. I am not even sure what they would allow as far as the crew, etc. My best guess is that they have found a really small, local race or this is a NBC TBL event.)

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3432906;
    Woah, I suspected they were drastic before the finals, but I never expected them to go so far... it's kind of sad.
    It's sad, but it's the unfortunate truth. I know we would all like to believe that all of the contestants on these shows lose the weight solely on exercise and diet alone, but that's not true. When they off-camera, almost all of them will go to any crazy extent to win the game. You name it: dehydration, vomiting, and it all leads to peeing blood (that was the first winner, I remember him saying that in an interview). They may not reach an unhealthy weight that is under the average of a good BMI, but it is an unhealthy weight in my eyes since they do such unhealthy things to reach that point.

Quote Originally Posted by anah;3433675;
    whew i thought i was the only one that noticed. Bob looked older and unwell most of the season, too me. he looks better now. i'm glad to see it was because of his change in diet.
    He looked better in the beginning seasons. He was actually pretty buff back then. But he has definitely loss some of his muscle mass and is teetering on the skeletal look. Like others have said, you can see his bones on his face! And I'm not talking cheek bones.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Mindy, you said it... totally not cool. I love seeing these people transform their lives, but this is getting ridiculous. Fortunately for Kristen (with her compressed discs in her back) she doesn't have to pound pavement for twenty-six miles. Ugh.

CrossingGuard... you're right, the end does not justify the means. They may be a good weight, but so many wrong ways to get there messes them up, and it shows.

Which brings me to a question for everyone: Do you think this show could somehow be transformed? If it was made into a little less of a competition (no voting out week by week, for example) with REAL helpful facts about diet and nutrition and excercise (not just stupid advertisements for plastic bags and gum)... do you think they could create a show that people would still watch?
    They could still have competitions for luxury prizes and such, but let everyone compete until the end... and let their overall weight loss be their motivator, not staying above a yellow line week to week.

Personally, I would watch. I hate the stupid elim room drama anyhow. Also, we wouldn't have to have Aly tally up the votes every single week for us, like we're complete morons.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 05-05-2009 at 11:41 AM.

I would still watch. If they did it that way then maybe they could give more fitness and eating tips. I don't think we see enough of that as it is. Some of the contestants, actually I think most of them, apply to the show to change their lives but eventually the game becomes more important...with the added benefit of the weight loss. BUT they do things drastically so in reality this is not helping them make lifestyle changes.

I do love the show though. Or should I say I love the concept of people changing their lives for the better.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I, for one, would love to see more of what Ron is doing, with his bum knee and shoulder, to lose weight. We now and then see him doing some kind of pull ups or something, but there must be more that he's doing while they are all running. We assume something in the pool, but what??? He's losing quite well these days (9 lbs. may put you below the line on this show, but I'd take it!!! ), and I want to know what he's doing as I also have knee problems.

So, back to your point, yes, would be glad to see them all stay until the end. Maybe they could be eliminated from the prize competition but still stay to lose weight... although then we'd lose the big surprises of the at home people, and the idea that you CAN do it at home.

+ Reply to Thread