+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Show Discussion 4/28 *Spoilers*

Re: Show Discussion 4/28 *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by addison h.;3431369;
    I wonder what the ratio is of contestants who keep the weight off to contestants who don't.
    It's so rare that we ever see any of these people ever again.
    I also wonder what the ratios look like by trainer? Do people trained by one trainer have better long-term success than people who work with another trainer?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3431182;
    This is completely off-topic of who should deserve to win... but it was a funny moment I noticed and completely forgot to mention.
    During the challenge, when each player had unloaded all their weight, they got to the end and threw their bag off the cliff. They all had these moments where they would shout something appropriate as the threw the bag over: "NEVER AGAIN!" Stuff like that.
    When Ron finally got to the end, he throws it over and shouts:
    "See you later!"

Omg.
    I know, I totally burst out laughing when he said that, and thought, wow, more evidence for the subconscious at work! I'm sure he was mentally thinking he was saying "good-bye", and "see you later" is a synonym for that... but one with a totally different meaning in this context.

Re Bob being all about the win, vs. Jillian---well, to be fair, it is probably easier to not be "all about the win" if you never have lost....

IMO Jillian likes to get to the root of the problem because I think that's what she had to do to lose her own weight. She's mentioned before that she had weight issues when she was young. I believe that is why she does try so hard to delve into the 'why' they need to lose the weight. And I'm sure having her mom as guidance and it all falls into place.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3431545;
    Her mom is a psychologist...she brought her in a few seasons ago to get to the real root of the contestants problems that season. I would not be surprised if Jillian seeks the opinion of both her mom and other professionals in these circumstances (she mentioned in her book that she knows and interacts with a good chunk of the doctors in the area).

But, aside from that, anyone should be able to recognize that several of these contestants have outside probelms--where eating is just the symptom. I applaud Jillian for trying to get to the root of the wieght gain, whereas Bob just seems obsessed with winning.
    I knew that her mother was a psychologist but wondered about her. I didn't think that she was qualified to say some of the things she says to them. And I'm not sure that any psychologist would be up screaming in people's faces. Not in mine anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3431588;
    IMO Jillian likes to get to the root of the problem because I think that's what she had to do to lose her own weight. She's mentioned before that she had weight issues when she was young. I believe that is why she does try so hard to delve into the 'why' they need to lose the weight. And I'm sure having her mom as guidance and it all falls into place.
    Yep...in her book she talks about how food was used as a reward and how she used food to distract her from the family problems (her parents went through a divorce). Jillian said she had to recognize what her problems were and then it also took harsh structure, training and discipline that she got from one of her [now] role models (her martial arts instructor).
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____

I think the screaming is during training...that is motivation. Trainers have different approaches. Ive had trainers before that used very different tactics: some just scare the crap out of you (and boy, does it work) where others are demanding, while some are just too nice (for me, anyhow).

Bob yells too, but when Bob yells I find it funny (Joelle...Im still laughing over that).

We do see a lot of clips where Jillian sits and talks with her contestants...and I don't believe you gotta be a licensed psychologist to help someone out (especially when you are just asking people to identify the reasons they gained weight (lack of self-esteem, etc...)). She is never yelling during these sessions. I found her talks with Michelle and Mike quite moving. And they ended up identifying their problems, source of anger, etc. I think that is awesome! And when the problems are too big or too deep she brings in mom!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by addison h.;3431369;
    I wonder what the ratio is of contestants who keep the weight off to contestants who don't.
    It's so rare that we ever see any of these people ever again.
    I recall reading somewhere that Jillian said about 60 % of the contestants keep the weight off (I presume that means within a certain ratio of what they were at the finale).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3431772;
    I recall reading somewhere that Jillian said about 60 % of the contestants keep the weight off (I presume that means within a certain ratio of what they were at the finale).
    some of them actually look too slim at the finale don't you think? I often think that they might look better with a few more pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3431784;
    some of them actually look too slim at the finale don't you think? I often think that they might look better with a few more pounds.
    They all dehydrate the living hell out of their bodies before the finale. They all want to win the prize, whether it be The Biggest Loser or the at-home prize, minus a few who are too lazy and didn't really do much at home (does anyone remember Kathryn from Season 2?).

They can say that they're not in it for the money. We all know they're lying. Look at what they do to themselves right before they weigh in for the very last time on national television. If you didn't want to win, then why would you abuse your body like that?

They all gain some pounds back to get to a healthy weight, like Ali did. And unfortunately, some people just gain half of it back (just look at the first three winners). Take a look at Vicky's MySpace. Heba, Ed, and Brady all gained a good amount of their weight back, while Vicky was able to maintain. She may be one of the worst (or greatest, you decide) villains ever, but good for her for maintaining her weight loss!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

They all gain some pounds back to get to a healthy weight, like Ali did. And unfortunately, some people just gain half of it back (just look at the first three winners).
    Oh, gosh, here I go again.
    They do get mighty thin for the finale, but I don't think any of them look much thinner than Jillian or Bob... I wouldn't say Jillian or Bob are an 'unhealthy' weight. And I've found most of the finalists look fantastic just the way they are. There have been a few exceptions where the weight they lost made them look gaunt... but on the most part, by medical standards... none of them would have been what would be considered "unhealthy."
    Sorry to nitpick on that words "healthy weight"... but unless a person is annorexic or bulimic, being thin isn't unhealthy. Dehydration is though..

FORT Fan

I think part of the "gaunt" look is because they lose the weight so quickly and, yes, they do tend to dehydrate themselves. As I recall, the weights of all of the winners have been within the weight range that would be prescribed for their height, but I think some of them may have gotten there in an unhealthy way that couldn't (and shouldn't) be sustained over the long term.

Regaining weight is a big problem for anyone who loses more than a few pounds. The statistics are pretty grim with something like 90% unable to maintain a weight loss of 30 or more pounds for more than a year. I think the stats are better than that among TBL participants. As far as the stats for the trainers, I just can't see that the difference in training methods would account for whether a particular contestant keeps the weight off or not. There are too many other variables. The attitude of the person losing the weight is the most important component. They have to be willing to make all of their lifestyle changes permanent and I personally don't think the whole TBL philosophy is conducive to permanent change. Those who have been thin before and then put on the pounds may have a better chance of getting there. Those, like Ron, who have fought the battle most of their lives are at much greater risk.

+ Reply to Thread