+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 2/17 Show Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Re: 2/17 Show Discussion Thread **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by debbie611;3333198;
    Hello everyone!
    New here so I am sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
    Anyway, I have not read all the posts in this thread, but did anyone mention that with Kristin gaining 2 lbs. last week her starting weight should have been 303, not 301. Would this have made a difference in who fell below the yellow line? Or did they just mess the numbers up on the scale and have the percentage right?
    Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.........
    I wondered that, too. They were making such a big deal out of her possibly going under 300lbs for the first time in umpteen years... but being at 301 after having gained 2lbs.. that would mean her previous weigh in had been 299. So it didn't make sense to me, either.

I think I have already deleted the previous show from my TiVo or else I'd check.

eta: Oh, looking at Ashley's 2/10 recap it does say that her weight after the 2lb gain was 303. So this week should have started at 303. But you'd think that her weight of 289 was correct so the percentage for her and Kathy should have actually been HIGHER, not lower, as she should have shown a 14lb loss not a 12lb loss.
    Last edited by Broadway; 02-19-2009 at 09:00 AM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=PWS;3330493;]I'm really disappointed that they didn't show us what Ron was doing in the pool. Yes, we were told it was good for people with knee problems, but then what did he do???
    There are a lot of aqua therapy programs, and I'm in the pool with a lot of folks with knee issues, they do water walking, stretches, lifts on the sides of the pool, balancing, and a lot of water running (in the deep end). I joined one of my friends with her work out (mine is different for shoulder issues), and I was breathless about half-way through! They say that the pool does wonders though, and helps folks NOT to limp, and gain enough strength to do activity such as tennis and other exercise.

FORT Fan

The reason they started Kristin's weight at 301 is because they implemented a new rule after the season where Neil gained 17 lbs at a weigh-in after water loading. That big gain made it completely obvious what he was doing and he did it to get rid of the person he had been partnered with. For those who weren't watching that season, Neil was on Bob's team. The twist on that season was that mid-way through the season, they had a challenge where the person who won got to put all of the remaining contestants in teams of two. Neil was put with someone from Jillian's team. At the next weigh-in Neil lost something like 32 lbs and had a ridiculously high weight loss percentage. The new rule says that you don't get to count it when you lose weight that you had previously gained. So they will start the next weigh-in at your weight prior to the weight gain.

Gotcha, Mom. I didn't remember that they had implemented a change to accomodate for Neil's admitted waterloading. Nor did I notice whether they did that with Aubrey when she had gained.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;3334133;
    The reason they started Kristin's weight at 301 is because they implemented a new rule after the season where Neil gained 17 lbs at a weigh-in after water loading. That big gain made it completely obvious what he was doing and he did it to get rid of the person he had been partnered with. For those who weren't watching that season, Neil was on Bob's team. The twist on that season was that mid-way through the season, they had a challenge where the person who won got to put all of the remaining contestants in teams of two. Neil was put with someone from Jillian's team. At the next weigh-in Neil lost something like 32 lbs and had a ridiculously high weight loss percentage. The new rule says that you don't get to count it when you lose weight that you had previously gained. So they will start the next weigh-in at your weight prior to the weight gain.
    Thanks....I had been wondering this myself....Great info.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3328816;
    You know.. this would be wonderfully ironic if Tara keeps whining about Laura needing to do better but Laura kicks her ass in the weigh-in.
    Even as a Tara fan, I was kinda getting annoyed by all the whining she did in the last episode. I was especially disappointed with how she basically said that she had no faith in Laura. Laura isn't even that much of a burden. Actually, the weigh-in after she came back on the ranch, she was the biggest loser out of every single individual contestant. Doesn't seem like much of a burden to me. Sure, she lags a bit, but she still does pretty well when you compare her to some of the others.

But then I concluded that the show featured Tara's worrisome attitude because it made for an interesting storyline. Broadway, it wasn't ironic when Laura beat Tara in the weigh-in. It became obvious to me towards the end of the episode that they were just setting it up. Think about it: first, they show Tara getting worried about her partner. Then Laura disappoints as she gets herself and Tara eliminated in the rowing challenge, just shy of immunity. All of it was leading us to think that Laura would disappoint at the weigh-in. But it's reality TV editing 101: make the viewers think something is happening, but then shock them as the opposite happens.

So I think that Tara still trusts her partner to do well. It's just that her complaints were put on a pedastal this week to make for a good storyline. That's what I think anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3329059;
    Shanon's roller derby name is "Flower Power"...shouldn't it be "Flour Power?"
    Haha, exactly what I thought when I first saw it! Not to mention that there was flour behind her when she was showing off her slimmer body.

I love that Shanon got into roller derby. It was just so out of the blue. Glad she found a way to try and keep her body in shape.

After the Green team, the Pink team was definitely my #2. I've liked Helen since almost the beginning. And I didn't see much of Shanon since she was an at-home contestant, but I was beginning to warm up to her. So yeah, I was disappointed when they fell below the yellow line. Hopefully Helen will be able to make it far, maybe make a 3peat for the Pink Ladies (except that this time, it would be the mother who won, not the daughter).

Small spoilers for next week, coming from an article in EW:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Dane's on blue, Helen's on black. EW published the article the week when Grey was eliminated, and yet they overtly showed two pictures of the two of them in those two colors.

I wanted to smack Tara every time she opened her mouth. She's a machine, I'll give that to her, and she's doing well, but her attitude irks me. She has zero faith in her friend and seems to take every opportunity to tell the whole world how little she thinks of her. I'm wondering how Laura really feels now that they're watching the show and she's seeing Tara's comments. Sad.

Well I think Tara got a bad edit this week . I suspect she has reasons to think that way about her teammate.

I despise those water loaders. I'd preferred to see the purple team gone and before I liked them but after last week's stunt, not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDutchWoman;3337382;
    Well I think Tara got a bad edit this week . I suspect she has reasons to think that way about her teammate.

I despise those water loaders. I'd preferred to see the purple team gone and before I liked them but after last week's stunt, not anymore.
    I totally don't blame you for your opinion about waterloaders. It sounds like you have more integrity than some people! So I must make this confession: if I had an opportunity to win $250,000 I'd definitely waterload if it increased my chances. I do like the new rule about starting at the person's weight prior to the weight gain. That's only fair! People on the show (Shanon last week) blather on and on about how they're not on the show "just to get a check", but let's be real. $250,000 would be college funds for half a dozen kids, the beginning of a retirement fund, etc. So, pass the Brita pitcher and get outta my way!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Even if you are really just on the show to lose weight it would be tempting to waterload if you had immunity, because it would keep you (and in this case your partner) there a week longer pretty much for sure--like having immunity for two weeks instead of one. Which would make winning immunity near the end very important...you could "coast" into the final 3.

+ Reply to Thread