+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jillian Michaels - trainer

Re: Jillian Michaels - trainer

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;3347585;
    I'd say that used to be true of Bob, say in the first 2-3 seasons of this show. Either they used to really exploit the dichotomy of the trainers, personality-wise, or else the whole "Zen" thing is a put-on, strictly for dramatic purposes.

In the last oh, say, three seasons, I have increasingly found reasons to think that Bob was pulling our leg with all this 'sweet, compassionate' crap. I think what we are seeing now is the true Bob colors, including all this weenie weeping for dramatic effect.

Personally, I think the trainer who has displayed herself to be compassionate in reality, not just in PR, is Jillian. Yes, she does a hard-ass workout--her vocation is on the line to get these people, who to a man or a woman have let lazy, self-destructive habits take over their lives, to perform to their top level. But when Jill does on-on-ones with her team members, you can see that she really cares about their insides, too. I attribute this to having been a fat girl when she was younger--she's been in their shoes--and also to having a mom who is a professional therapist and probably encouraged a compassionate outlook on others. For Jill, I think she is truly in a 'helping' profession.

With Bob I get the feeling that it's more about image, and he has adopted a win-at-all-costs mentality of late that does not show him in a flattering light. I think, for all his posturing about Zen calm, Bob doesn't really practice what he preaches and of the two trainers is the more superficial individual.

In the beginning of this show, I always thought I'd prefer Bob for my trainer. No more. Jillian puts her money where her mouth is and gets the results. Bob is, pardon the pun, a drama queen. I have lost respect for him through his dumping on psychotherapy, all of his plotting with his teams and even the screaming fits at Joelle. All of these--uncalled for. Bob seems to have, at bottom, a maturity problem. He does not ring my bell anymore, unh-unh.
    Thanks for saying what I meant a lot more eloquently. I just started watching in the middle of last season (I still can't believe I applied for the show last year without ever having seen it I didn't make it obviously ) and I totally liked Jillian better because of the gameplay on Bob's part. I also think that Jillian is the better trainer as well as being a better person. I didn't know about her being previously overweight. That makes me like her even more because that means she really understands. People who have never had a weight problem just don't understand what it's like to live it. I was put off by the Joelle tirade. I get that she was frustrating but the way he acted was pretty inappropriate and that scene the other night was ridiculous. Is he a teenage girl?
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

If you just started watching recently, you've missed a lot of backstory with our trainers. Yes, Jillian used to be overweight as a young girl, though how much, I don't know. Certainly not to the level of any contestants on this show. But she was not a hardbody from birth. Also, let's see, 2 seasons ago? Jill brought in her mother, who is a licensed pyschologist, in to meet one-on-one with her team members and try to get to the bottom of their internal reasons for overeating. That episode was punctuated by Bob and other members of his Blue Team shown walzing in and out of the house while these sessions were going on to interrupt and otherwise dump on the proceedings. This was the beginning of the end of my affection for Bob, since that whole season ushered in the hardcore gameplay dynamic we see now--all the scheming, yelling, trying to coach the eliminations and so forth.

See, in all the seasons of this show--what are we up to now, 7? Bob has only had one grand prize winner. All the other winners have worn Jill's colors, which used to be red, and then was switched to black during the season they had three teams. Jill still won that time, too, despite having two other trainers to compete against. In the very beginning, Bob did have a gentler and more laid-back approach . . .his teams did a lot of yoga, and he seemed far less cutthroat at the time than did J. However, this 'Zen' attitude must have just been an overlay, because he has become more and more competitive and ticked off with every passing loss. I don't doubt that Bob is a competent trainer, but we can say what we want about Jill's personality--her methodology seems to be more effective. She has trained equal numbers of men and women, as has Bob, so I can't really explain the differerence, other than to surmise that perhaps Jill spends more time really getting to know her people and tailoring more individualized workouts for them. She is, and always has been, more about driving her people to their absolute physical limits and then demanding 10% more, than about conniving for most advantageous gameplay strategy. It seems to me, just off the top of my head, that all the contestants involved in blatant waterloading (not to mention emotional hazing--that's for you, Vicky--have belonged to Bob's teams.

Bottom line: Jill is punishingly tough, but fair. Bob is more of a gamesman, because at this point he is desperate for another win to vindicate himself. I don't doubt that the trainer of the Biggest Loser gets a nice little payday, too.

For the first couple of seasons, Bob was known as Papa Smurf on this board, not only because he trained the Blue teams, but also because he projected a more cuddly and mellow demeanor than his colleague. I now think that may have been an editing ploy, for both trainers: Evil Mistress Jillian vs. Gentle Bob. I'm sure the current Weenie Bob dynamic is also largely due to editorial decisions, and maybe the real Bob is somewhere in the middle. But I would say the same thing to the trainers as I would to the contestants viz. their portrayal on the show: If you don't do or say it, they can't show it. So if you don't want to be portrayed in an unflattering way, stop doing weenie things!

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;3355521;
    If you just started watching recently, you've missed a lot of backstory with our trainers. Yes, Jillian used to be overweight as a young girl, though how much, I don't know. Certainly not to the level of any contestants on this show. But she was not a hardbody from birth. Also, let's see, 2 seasons ago? Jill brought in her mother, who is a licensed pyschologist, in to meet one-on-one with her team members and try to get to the bottom of their internal reasons for overeating. That episode was punctuated by Bob and other members of his Blue Team shown walzing in and out of the house while these sessions were going on to interrupt and otherwise dump on the proceedings. This was the beginning of the end of my affection for Bob, since that whole season ushered in the hardcore gameplay dynamic we see now--all the scheming, yelling, trying to coach the eliminations and so forth.

See, in all the seasons of this show--what are we up to now, 7? Bob has only had one grand prize winner. All the other winners have worn Jill's colors, which used to be red, and then was switched to black during the season they had three teams. Jill still won that time, too, despite having two other trainers to compete against. In the very beginning, Bob did have a gentler and more laid-back approach . . .his teams did a lot of yoga, and he seemed far less cutthroat at the time than did J. However, this 'Zen' attitude must have just been an overlay, because he has become more and more competitive and ticked off with every passing loss. I don't doubt that Bob is a competent trainer, but we can say what we want about Jill's personality--her methodology seems to be more effective. She has trained equal numbers of men and women, as has Bob, so I can't really explain the differerence, other than to surmise that perhaps Jill spends more time really getting to know her people and tailoring more individualized workouts for them. She is, and always has been, more about driving her people to their absolute physical limits and then demanding 10% more, than about conniving for most advantageous gameplay strategy. It seems to me, just off the top of my head, that all the contestants involved in blatant waterloading (not to mention emotional hazing--that's for you, Vicky--have belonged to Bob's teams.

Bottom line: Jill is punishingly tough, but fair. Bob is more of a gamesman, because at this point he is desperate for another win to vindicate himself. I don't doubt that the trainer of the Biggest Loser gets a nice little payday, too.

For the first couple of seasons, Bob was known as Papa Smurf on this board, not only because he trained the Blue teams, but also because he projected a more cuddly and mellow demeanor than his colleague. I now think that may have been an editing ploy, for both trainers: Evil Mistress Jillian vs. Gentle Bob. I'm sure the current Weenie Bob dynamic is also largely due to editorial decisions, and maybe the real Bob is somewhere in the middle. But I would say the same thing to the trainers as I would to the contestants viz. their portrayal on the show: If you don't do or say it, they can't show it. So if you don't want to be portrayed in an unflattering way, stop doing weenie things!

Wow- thanks so much! I knew Jillian trained most of the winners but not all of this. Jillian will always be my favorite and Bob continues to go downhill for me. Ya know, NBC has released a casting call for new trainers, I wonder if they are replacing Bob because he just can not win against Jillian and they need to mix things up (I think this season will be the same thing, especially given the Blue Team's suicidal move the other night). Bring in more comp. for Jillian- she can handle it!

For the "record", Jillian claims she was 175 pounds at age 12. Which for a girl who had to be under 5 feet tall at the time? Not so great. She started working out with Martial Arts at age 13. She's 120 pounds now.

Randomly plucked Jillian fact from Wikipedia: She's best friends with "Las Vegas" actress Vanessa Marcil, who although she's not a terribly good actress always struck me as kind of nice. And not to be confused with the utterly awful and similarly named Vanessa Minnillo, who if you've seen ABC's "True Beauty", or her earlier Entertainment Tonight reports about how bad she felt when she dressed up in a fat suit, sucks eggs.
    Last edited by Krom; 03-02-2009 at 05:59 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I really do like Jillian, Bob has issues.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3358800;
    For the "record", Jillian claims she was 175 pounds at age 12. Which for a girl who had to be under 5 feet tall at the time? Not so great. She started working out with Martial Arts at age 13. She's 120 pounds now.

Randomly plucked Jillian fact from Wikipedia: She's best friends with "Las Vegas" actress Vanessa Marcil, who although she's not a terribly good actress always struck me as kind of nice. And not to be confused with the utterly awful and similarly named Vanessa Minnillo, who if you've seen ABC's "True Beauty", or her earlier Entertainment Tonight reports about how bad she felt when she dressed up in a fat suit, sucks eggs.
    How tall do you think she is now? It's not at all uncommon for women to be full grown at age 12. Not that I think she's so tall that 175 would be a good weight, just don't think she was necessarily under 5' when she was 12.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3364515;
    How tall do you think she is now? It's not at all uncommon for women to be full grown at age 12. Not that I think she's so tall that 175 would be a good weight, just don't think she was necessarily under 5' when she was 12.
    IMDB says she's 5' 2" so even at full height (I was by that age), 175 is ALOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3358800;
    Krom, thanks for posting this - very interesting! I love Vanessa Marcil (used to be a big GH fan, loved her as Brenda) but never in a million years would I have put them together as best friends. Vanessa is such a girlie-girl, and Jillian is, well, not!

ETA: Yeah, ITA about Vanessa Minnillo - how did she get that show?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3372982;
    Krom, thanks for posting this - very interesting! I love Vanessa Marcil (used to be a big GH fan, loved her as Brenda) but never in a million years would I have put them together as best friends. Vanessa is such a girlie-girl, and Jillian is, well, not!

?
    Totally agree--talk about an unlikely pair! Of course who knows what Vanessa is like off camera, but certainly she's comfortable in spike heels and plunging necklines, whereas whenever they put Jillian in something like that (I remember one very painful early finale show) she looks miserable, awkward, and like she's likely to break an ankle. Such a contrast to her self confident moves in her natural outfits. When Vanessa was on GH her outfits were more on the tomboy side, but I admit her Las Vegas clothing style is still stuck in my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3373638;
    Totally agree--talk about an unlikely pair!
    Yeah, you're right about her GH outfits. She might even be a bit on the klutzy side, but yeah who knows what she's really like. Obviously she must spend some time in a gym, though, so I'm sure they at least have that in common. Vanessa has an amazing figure - if Jillian trains her, that's just another success story for her (though I think Vanessa was blessed with good genes to start with).

+ Reply to Thread