+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

Re: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

Well, I try to give Ron the benefit of the doubt and mainly because of Mikey, but not Helen. I lost all respect for her when she let her own daughter go so she could stay. Ron lost alot of credit with me too, but at least I can understand what he's doing is for his son, and I love Mike!

I like Mike.
    I think he's had a lot of pressure on him to keep not only himself, but also his dad in the competition.

I wish he'd come on the show with his brother.
    They could probably do a whole season of family members of previous contestants.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by addison h.;3408846;
    Whoa. Slow down just one second. I get that Ron tries to swing the other contestant's votes - like CONSTANTLY. But how stupid is everyone else that they let him? The man's not putting a gun to anyone's head.

And let's be honest - this all started when he said "It's Mandi's time to go"

and YES that sounded HORRIBLE. but the guy was just stating the facts. [mod edit] Aubrey had already gone home once... (and I know I'm repeating what others have said here but I just have to get it out ) so if they're taking turns... It WAS Mandi's turn to go.

AND THE LAST THING I'll bore you with in defense of Ron is this:

HOW MUCH DO WE ALL LOVE MIKEY??? I mean seriously - this is one GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT KID!!! If I was eight years younger I would totally have a crush on him (I may have a little one anyway as it is) Well, THIS IS THE GUY WHO RAISED HIM!!! So... seriously, how bad can he be?
    I have to chime in here.

There have been times that I didn't like some of the comments from Ron, but it's no different or worse than some of the others' gameplay. Everyone seems to be able to justify why someone else should go home-- as long as it's not themselves or someone in their alliance. So to me, everyone has their own degree of shadiness.

What I do admire about Ron and Mike is this. The first time Ron and Mike went home for a visit, I watched the look on Mike's brother Alex's face and immediately sensed he was proud but jealous/sad/lonely at the same time.
    Both Ron and Mike picked up on that immediately and it brought tears to my eyes seeing the family dynamics that they will get Alex to the same point.

Furthering that was seeing that same expression on Alex's face during last week's makeover reveal. Ron immediately asked what was wrong, then Mike picked up on it immediately and had a heart to heart with him. My first thought was what a great kid Mike is to have that type of empathy and compassion for his brother. That character totally reflects how he was raised by both of his parents, so with that, I believe Ron possesses good morals and passed them to his children.

My heart broke seeing Alex feel helpless and wished that somehow the Biggest Loser would take Alex under their wing and get him started towards a healthy lifestyle because you can tell he wants it, but isn't sure he can do it.
    If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SkateMom;3415944;
    I have to chime in here.

There have been times that I didn't like some of the comments from Ron, but it's no different or worse than some of the others' gameplay. Everyone seems to be able to justify why someone else should go home-- as long as it's not themselves or someone in their alliance. So to me, everyone has their own degree of shadiness.

What I do admire about Ron and Mike is this. The first time Ron and Mike went home for a visit, I watched the look on Mike's brother Alex's face and immediately sensed he was proud but jealous/sad/lonely at the same time.
    Both Ron and Mike picked up on that immediately and it brought tears to my eyes seeing the family dynamics that they will get Alex to the same point.

Furthering that was seeing that same expression on Alex's face during last week's makeover reveal. Ron immediately asked what was wrong, then Mike picked up on it immediately and had a heart to heart with him. My first thought was what a great kid Mike is to have that type of empathy and compassion for his brother. That character totally reflects how he was raised by both of his parents, so with that, I believe Ron possesses good morals and passed them to his children.

My heart broke seeing Alex feel helpless and wished that somehow the Biggest Loser would take Alex under their wing and get him started towards a healthy lifestyle because you can tell he wants it, but isn't sure he can do it.
    Alex = Max?

Mike's brother's name is Max.
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3409325;
    I like Mike.
    I think he's had a lot of pressure on him to keep not only himself, but also his dad in the competition.

I wish he'd come on the show with his brother.
    They could probably do a whole season of family members of previous contestants.
    I don't know why but I thought his brother was older but after watching the show and they said he was only 16, I guess the fact that he is a minor is the reason he didn't do the show.

Regarding the bolded part...I think that's a good idea. Mandi and Aubrey's Dad DESPERATELY needs the help! I'm sure that most of the contestants have families with weight issues. My Mom and both of her brothers are obese and my sister and I are as well. My brothers both struggle with their weight too but hate the fact that the rest of us are obese (and are constantly hounding my Mom about it and trying to get her to try this herb or that. It's really kind of condescending and annoying) so that when they get about 20-30lbs overweight they start eating healthier and work out. Being that they're men they can lose it a lot easier and faster. With my family, my grandparents, who have always been thin and physically fit, are totally obsessed with food and cleaning your plate (and equally obsessed with working out and my grandmother weighs herself everyday and goes on a diet if she gets 5lbs over her ideal weigh) so the food obsession trickled down to all of us. I'm hoping to lose the weight and break the cycle with my kids if I ever have any. My sister is pretty good about making sure her kids don't inherit the same issues about food (although my 10 year old niece is obsessed with nutritional lablels and refuses to eat anything processed, which is not necessarily a bad thing).
    Last edited by stacerace; 04-17-2009 at 12:49 AM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

One thing that baffles me is the fact that Ron's wife...the boys mother, who is slim and trim, does not seem to be helping Max out with this issue. While Ron and MIke are at the ranch, it would have been a perfect opportunity for her to work with and help Max, by cooking healthy and perhaps working out with him. I have a 17 year old son (with the opposite prob...5'8" and weighs 112 pounds!), and at this stage in his life, I still have much control over his diet, activities, etc...

WHy is this mom not getting involved and helping this poor child?? I just don't get it...of course, I don't get how she could have let both her sons get that obese in the first place. Having an obese father is NO excuse in my book.

Well, it looks like Mike confronts his dad about some of these very issues next week, so good for him!!!

Quote Originally Posted by diluvlabs;3416931;
    One thing that baffles me is the fact that Ron's wife...the boys mother, who is slim and trim, does not seem to be helping Max out with this issue. While Ron and MIke are at the ranch, it would have been a perfect opportunity for her to work with and help Max, by cooking healthy and perhaps working out with him. I have a 17 year old son (with the opposite prob...5'8" and weighs 112 pounds!), and at this stage in his life, I still have much control over his diet, activities, etc...

WHy is this mom not getting involved and helping this poor child?? I just don't get it...of course, I don't get how she could have let both her sons get that obese in the first place. Having an obese father is NO excuse in my book.

Well, it looks like Mike confronts his dad about some of these very issues next week, so good for him!!!
    I agree with you. But I have to say... she may be naturally thin. She may be one of those people who can eat anything and not gain weight. There are several in my family and among my friends.. not me though.. I can look at a candy bar and gain weight. Anyway, maybe she wasn't raised to eat healthy and since she has a natural metabolism that is high she never had to worry about it. She passed down the bad habits to her sons that didn't get her genetics.

But on the other hand I don't know how she couldn't look at her husband and not think that he needs to change something..even if she didn't know what. That is what is mind boggling to me. I would have researched or asked around or something. I mean, I freak out over my 2 yr old's weight b/c she is in the 80% for her weight...but she is also off the charts in height. No.. I don't make her diet or anything like that. I just don't let her snack and if she wants a snack it is fruit.

I know this is just my opinion...but any parent that lets their child/children get morbidly obese should be charged with child abuse...it just isn't right. And it does not happen overnight! I know as a parent, that as our children get older we have less control over their actions...but this has been a lifelong issue, for goodness sake!

I was overweight since I was 12 years old, and I dont blame my mom...I have obesity in our family..I was never morbidly obese, and Ive lost a lot of it when I went through high school, now I am doing weight watchers and have lost 10.6lbs, and the biggest loser is such an inspiration to me!

but I digress..I dont blame the parents always..unless its like you see on the dr phil show and they are letting them eat fried chicken for 4 people etc..

I LOVE MIKE! I agree with the person who said if they were 8 years younger..he is a little cutie lol and he is so supportive of his dad..so supportive..he exudes kindness and leadership...he is my pick to win and has been for awhile.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

I don't think blaming parents is right either. However, didn't Ron say he was 200 lb. at 9 years old? I think his parents bear some responsibility for that. A 9 year old doesn't control the food buying or the menu. Kids learn what they are taught, and if they are fed a diet of continuous high calorie, fatty food, that is what they learn. I can't remember who it was this season that couldn't recognize basic vegetables in the produce section. That's just sad, IMO. Ron's parents were probably raised the same way, and it just became a vicious cycle. At least these 2 are trying to learn healthier life styles and I just hope it sticks. I am so happy to see Mike finally looking like a 17 year old boy, and he is one of my favourites also.

+ Reply to Thread