+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

FORT Fogey

Re: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3392239;
    I have lost some respect for Ron from the earlier episodes, but as a parent I understand that he is trying really hard to do what he can to help his son. I felt he should've been gone by now, but he wants to stay so he can help Mike. The only thing that seems inconsistent with that was last night, when he voted to send Aubrey home instead of Filipe. Filipe is a much bigger threat to Mike than Aubrey is, so I thought that might've been enough to break his allegience to his former team.
    He is thinking of the numbers now. If Mike ends up below the yellow line with another of Jillian's group, I think Ron will have influence over his teams vote to keep his son. Mike is losing big numbers now and is younger and heavier than Filipe so his motive for helping is son is still in operation.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3393670;
    He is thinking of the numbers now. If Mike ends up below the yellow line with another of Jillian's group, I think Ron will have influence over his teams vote to keep his son. Mike is losing big numbers now and is younger and heavier than Filipe so his motive for helping is son is still in operation.
    Thanks, that does make sense so his motive is still intact. I was trying to give him a little more credit but it may not be warranted.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

And Felipe isn't really a threat to Mike at this point-- Mike's total % loss is much higher than Felipe's.

Yes, but he and Sionne are much more of a threat than Aubrey was, and as long as they're both in it, that is a great support system for each of them - not to mention at least one guaranteed vote for anyone they go against.

FORT Regular

"May you be stuck down and die" - It's a game Ron, relax.
    Last edited by teetoo; 04-08-2009 at 05:40 PM.

He was so sanctimonious and self righteous last night it made me want to puke He just came off as an arrogant, pompous A$$. Really, it's just a game! While I really don't care for the cousins, I don't see how they backstabbed him. The only alliance that was ever out in the open (that they showed on TV anyway) is the one between Mike/Ron and Kathy/Kristin.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

The villains wear brown. Vicky, and now Ron.

I like Mike okay, but I don't want to see him win because 1) I love Tara, and 2) he's associated wth Ron. I don't hate Ron as much as I do with Filipe, but that "may you all strike down and die" comment rubbed me the wrong way. He is totally the "Godfather" of this game, and he's getting too entitled for his own good.

The "save my son" storyline is getting so old now. Every time Ron steps on the scale, he always says in a confessional something like: "I want to lose a little so that Mike will not reach the bottom." It grates on my nerves every single week.

But with that said, Ron can stay 'til the end for all I care as I'm pretty confident that he will be unable to shed the pounds at home. As for Mike, I want to see him go, although I kind of like him. He just presents too much of a threat to the game. Not to mention that if Mike wins, Ron wins. It really is unfortunate that I can't separate the two of them as two players, but Ron makes a mention of how much he loves his son every single episode that I'm unable to not associate them with one another.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3408535;
    The villains wear brown. Vicky, and now Ron.

I like Mike okay, but I don't want to see him win because 1) I love Tara, and 2) he's associated wth Ron. I don't hate Ron as much as I do with Filipe, but that "may you all strike down and die" comment rubbed me the wrong way. He is totally the "Godfather" of this game, and he's getting too entitled for his own good.

The "save my son" storyline is getting so old now. Every time Ron steps on the scale, he always says in a confessional something like: "I want to lose a little so that Mike will not reach the bottom." It grates on my nerves every single week.

But with that said, Ron can stay 'til the end for all I care as I'm pretty confident that he will be unable to shed the pounds at home. As for Mike, I want to see him go, although I kind of like him. He just presents too much of a threat to the game. Not to mention that if Mike wins, Ron wins. It really is unfortunate that I can't separate the two of them as two players, but Ron makes a mention of how much he loves his son every single episode that I'm unable to not associate them with one another.
    I totally agree. He is tainting his sons image.

addison h.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3408821;
    I totally agree. He is tainting his sons image.
    Whoa. Slow down just one second. I get that Ron tries to swing the other contestant's votes - like CONSTANTLY. But how stupid is everyone else that they let him? The man's not putting a gun to anyone's head.

And let's be honest - this all started when he said "It's Mandi's time to go"

and YES that sounded HORRIBLE. but the guy was just stating the facts. [mod edit] Aubrey had already gone home once... (and I know I'm repeating what others have said here but I just have to get it out ) so if they're taking turns... It WAS Mandi's turn to go.

AND THE LAST THING I'll bore you with in defense of Ron is this:

HOW MUCH DO WE ALL LOVE MIKEY??? I mean seriously - this is one GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT KID!!! If I was eight years younger I would totally have a crush on him (I may have a little one anyway as it is) Well, THIS IS THE GUY WHO RAISED HIM!!! So... seriously, how bad can he be?
    Last edited by Mariner; 04-09-2009 at 05:05 PM.

FORT Newbie

I totally agree. For me I'm still waiting to pass judgement on Ron (and same for Helen.) Yes, there are things that look bad, but they are given with little to no context, and I'm just not comfortable making a call on exactly my impression on them yet. Maybe I just lean too much towards the benefit of the doubt.

But Mike, what a sweet kid. What I found particularly endearing was when his dad lost 9 lbs and was worried it might put Mike under the yellow line, Mike said something like "Oh shut up!" And got this look like, uh oh, I just told my dad to shut up and then quantified it with a "Just be happy!" to let him know why he was telling his father to shut up. Ha. Silly, but to me just so sincere the way he feels about and treats his father. He is always so concerned about his father's health and happy for his father's weight loss as well as his own.

I also have never once seen Mike be cocky or over-confident before or at weigh-ins. If anything he's overly pessamistic about what numbers he is going to pull. Even when they have put him under immense pressure, like being the last one to weigh-in that one time to decide if no one or two people were going home. Mike took that very seriously as his own responsibility, too much really, and didn't blame anyone else's numbers when he could have been justified in doing so. It just makes him seem like a very sincere kid/young adult. Even if Ron does have his faults, he should be proud of who he raised.

That said, I know they show us what they want too, and I could be totally off. Especially if TPTB know that Mike is in the finals and in a good place to win, they might be showing him in a positive light on purpose, but even so, there is definately enough they are not scrapping the barrel for positive things to show. Not many 19yos nowadays could come across in such a good light.

Can you believe I dug up an old log-in just to post this, first time in seasons. Mike's little double-take when he told his dad to shut-up was just such a sweet moment to me, as someone with young kids, it's the kind of moments I hope to have with my kids when they are teenagers. So cheesy, I know!

+ Reply to Thread