+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

Ah, a tummy tuck... I thought it just had to do with his bariatric surgery and couldn't for the life of me figure out why losing weight that way would have such an odd effect. Yeah, poor guy....and no doubt no fun reading all the comments people are making about it. Makes it EVEN more gutsy than for the average person who gets up there and lets their flab all hang out. I'm always glad when they finally let them wear t-shirts to the weigh in....on the other hand I do wish they didn't at the final weigh in....One of the things I always wonder about is the extra skin issue....

FORT Fan

A tummy tuck generally includes some liposuction as well. When fat cells are removed from an area and then weight is regained, it doesn't distribute back to the areas where the fat cells were removed. This is why Ron's shape is odd-looking.

Many former contestants have reported having a tummy tuck at some point after the finale for their season. I have lost 145 lbs myself and know that I will always have some excess skin to deal with unless I have surgery. I have talked to a couple of people about it and the general recommendation is to wait at least a year after attaining the weight which you expect to maintain. My general inclination at the point is not to have surgery. It's just not that important to me to be able to bare my midriff, and there are plenty of effective ways of hiding it otherwise.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

145 lbs. and w/o being on TBL!
    We do have some people on this thread who've done impressive things re weight loss!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3384155;
    145 lbs. and w/o being on TBL!
    We do have some people on this thread who've done impressive things re weight loss!
    Thanks! I also did it without surgery. One of my regular hangouts online is Sparkpeople and there are quite few BIG losers there. That's one of the reasons I get so crazy when people talk like TBL is the last hope for these people. I was one of THOSE people, and I never even considered going on TBL. You have to be IN your life to change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;3384924;
    Thanks! I also did it without surgery. One of my regular hangouts online is Sparkpeople and there are quite few BIG losers there. That's one of the reasons I get so crazy when people talk like TBL is the last hope for these people. I was one of THOSE people, and I never even considered going on TBL. You have to be IN your life to change your life.
    Awesome! It isn't easy to maintain. To loose is easy... if you are at that point in your life. But you have to be there.. focused, determined, etc. I didn't loose as much as you but for me 60lbs was still a lot when I had never been overweight before and never had to exercise and never had to watch what I eat. Unfortunately, it all caught up to me. My one year annv of keeping it off was last week and the past couple of months were hard. But I made it. I will always have to monitor all I eat and work out hard. But that is okay. I am heathly and will be here for my girls. Which is the reason I decided to loose the weight to begin with... my beautiful, wonderful girls.

TBL isn't anyone's last hope. I totally agree with you on that

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;3384924;
    You have to be IN your life to change your life.
    That has to be the most profound thing I've ever heard in terms of "self-help". Thank you for sharing those words. And, congratulations on the weight loss!

FORT Fan

manmmom - 60 lbs is amazing, so don't sell yourself short, and you're right. Losing is the easy part. Maintaining is another story!

OK, back to the topic, since I don't want to be hijacking this thread.

The trip home last week for Ron & Mike made me so sad, because I saw the brother who also has so much to lose. The mom seemed to be a pretty normal weight, and it must be really hard for her to see all of her men struggling so much with their weight. I really hope that both Ron & Mike can make a permanent change to their lives and then help the younger boy do the same!

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;3391127;
    manmmom - 60 lbs is amazing, so don't sell yourself short, and you're right. Losing is the easy part. Maintaining is another story!

OK, back to the topic, since I don't want to be hijacking this thread.

The trip home last week for Ron & Mike made me so sad, because I saw the brother who also has so much to lose. The mom seemed to be a pretty normal weight, and it must be really hard for her to see all of her men struggling so much with their weight. I really hope that both Ron & Mike can make a permanent change to their lives and then help the younger boy do the same!
    ITA. It got to me. I'm not a Ron fan but I really want them both to make a permanent change.

I went to a wedding Saturday where the sister of the bride was... let's just say as big as these contestants. She is the only one in her family that big. I kept wanting to pull her aside and talk to her. To let her know that she is young and it would be a lot easier for her to make a healthy change in her lifestyle now vs when she is older. It really got to me. It has to be hard on her knowing she is the only one that big. But then again maybe it doesn't bother her. I know so many young people like this and it just really gets to me. I want to do something to help but realize I'm not qualified to help.. just be an example.

OK.. off my soap box....

Sorry everyone.

FORT Fan

I'm not really a Ron fan either, but no matter what I may think of a contestant, I always want to see them "get it" and change their lives. I know that what I see on the show is not all there is to know about any of them. It just makes me very sad to see the affect that obesity can have on the whole family. One of the things that finally pushed me to change was the realization that my problem could easily passed down to my two beautiful daughters. I never want to see them struggle the way I have all my life.

It's admirable to want to help friends and family who are already obese, but it has to be their idea or it will never work. I can remember when I was in 8th grade, my dad challenged me to see which one of us could lose 20 lbs first. Yes, I was already obese at that age. He was trying to be helpful and encouraging, but in my mind he was telling me that I was unacceptable (totally not his intention, but I was in the 8th grade and my brain wasn't engaged). The end result was that I GAINED 20 lbs. The best thing that Ron and Mike for the younger son/brother is to lose and keep it off. Just seeing dad/brother change their lives will be a huge motivating factor for him.

I have lost some respect for Ron from the earlier episodes, but as a parent I understand that he is trying really hard to do what he can to help his son. I felt he should've been gone by now, but he wants to stay so he can help Mike. The only thing that seems inconsistent with that was last night, when he voted to send Aubrey home instead of Filipe. Filipe is a much bigger threat to Mike than Aubrey is, so I thought that might've been enough to break his allegience to his former team.

+ Reply to Thread