+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

Re: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3309340;
    I thought Mike made a good point about Ron the other day...that over the years Ron's weight has done so much damage to his body, especially his knees, that he's limited in the kinds of exercise he can do...particularly in the kinds he can do until he's lost a significant amount of weight. Once Ron is down under 200 lbs. I think he can really speed things up....but to try to run like the others do at this point would just finish his knees off. All that weight slamming down on his knees.
    I wish they would show more exercises that are good for people to do who have knee issues, which I'm guessing is likely most older overweight people who've been overweight for a long time.
    I do, too. Swimming's good for that-- as a former swimmer I want to see some pool workouts.

My mother has knee issues. Luckily she just had the left one replaced so excercise should be a little easier. She's already having a much easier time walking. Now the problem is her back, which is what caused the strain on her knees in the first place. Her viscious cycle goes like this: Hereditary back problem-Obesity which made back problem worse-Back problem puts strain on hip (not to mention an tailbone that was broken about 20 years ago left untreated!)-hip problem puts strain on knees-causes more weight gain. I'm hoping that her orthopedic surgeon will have the forsight to do a hip replacement next. If he does that she should be able to straighten up her back so it won't hurt quite as bad. It will always hurt though. I'm young and if I stand for more than 30 minutes at a time, my back starts hurting. My brother has this problem as well. His is more progressed than mine even though I've been overweight my whole adult life and he's always been skinny but he has alway done a lot of manual labor since he was a kid.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3309446;
    I do, too. Swimming's good for that-- as a former swimmer I want to see some pool workouts.
    Funny you should say that because I have been watching this show for at least the last 4 seasons and they always show the pool at the ranch but never once have I seen anyone in it!
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

Quote Originally Posted by taracran;3310628;
    Funny you should say that because I have been watching this show for at least the last 4 seasons and they always show the pool at the ranch but never once have I seen anyone in it!
    Apparently Vicky swam every morning last season.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3309446;
    And water aerobics are great for people with chronic knee problems, too (waving here with my missing ACL. ) They would also help the chronically uncoordinated, or those that are currently dead weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3310887;
    And water aerobics are great for people with chronic knee problems, too (waving here with my missing ACL. ) They would also help the chronically uncoordinated, or those that are currently dead weight.
    When I used to work evenings I went to a late morning water aerobics class. I was the youngest person there and the only one with original knees and hips. I must admit water aerobics is the best type of exercise for people with knee and hip problems and with weight problems. All that water helps bouy the body and get all that weight off the knees and hips. I really don't think Ron had any excuse not to exercise and I am tried to hearing Mike say he is old and his knees can't carry his dad's 500lbs. Well, get him into the pool. Major Duh!
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Ron seems to be a good egg. Looking at him from the shoulders up, you'd never suspect he was that big, but a shirtless Ron at the weigh-in is a truly queasy-making sight. Not exactly washboard--more like corrugated tin roof. Scary. When I think back to Mo at 404 pounds, the cast this season makes him positively petite!

People of color have an advantage--their fat is much easier on the eyes than pasty white stuff!

People of color have an advantage--their fat is much easier on the eyes than pasty white stuff!

This is my first post but have been reading for a couple seasons now.

Just wanted to say this made me chuckle. Fat does look better dark/tan.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3311738;

This is my first post but have been reading for a couple seasons now.

Just wanted to say this made me chuckle. Fat does look better dark/tan.
    SO true!!! Even deflating fat, such as we see in the phase before they allow them to keep shirts on for the weigh in (which of course always makes me wonder if everyone looks like Ron under the shirts!).

And of course, when the white fat is covered with a layer of dark hair, as it is with Ron, it's just that much worse!

(That said, Ron seems like a sweetheart, very concerned for his son. Ron is too young himself to miss out on so much living, so I hope he gets this thing under control.)

+ Reply to Thread