+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

Re: Ron & Mike : Father & Son

Quote Originally Posted by craftylady;3422451;
    You know the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." You can't make anybody lose weight. They have to want it bad enough. That's how I see this family.
    and...

Quote Originally Posted by diluvlabs;3421994;
    There is still something in this family's dynamic that bothers me. It came out in last night's show that the mom had a weight problem until a few years ago. Then she finally got fed up and lost the weight. AGain, I say, why did she not help, no INSIST on helping her sons lose the weight at that time!!??? She seems a little head in the sand for my liking! She and Ron are the adults in the family, they should have tried harder, IMO.
    Like Jillian said to Mike....they are the parents, you were a CHILD. Ultimately, they have to accept much fault and blame for the shape these boys are in!

I know many don't agree with me on this...but just had to re-state my opinion.

That being said...Mike for the win!
    I actually agree with you. I have had to deal with my own anger against my Mom for the same thing. She will never know how I feel because I will never tell her. I just don't want to hurt her. She already blames herself for my brother's alcoholism (btw. the only way she is responsible for that is the fact that she married the wrong guy who got my brother hooked on drugs and alcohol so it really isn't her fault because she made a mistake when she was 16 by marrying him when she was just a kid herself!). As for my weight problem, it actually goes back to my grandparents so I could be mad at them because they're so obsessed with food and eating at specific times and cleaning your plate and not wasting food, etc... However, I feel that my Mom should have broken the cycle and not allowed me to devolop bad eating habits when I was just a kid. I used to sneak food into my bedroom and she knew full well what I was doing and did nothing to stop it. Now, I can sit here and be angry all I want and blame my weight problem on her but the fact is that I am an adult now and I am responsible for my own bad choices. Now, Mike just turned 18 so he still has a case against his parents. However, it's not good to be angry and blame others. At some point you have to grow up and take responsibility for yourself. I've been on my own for 15 years so I don't have any excuses anymore and no one to blame but myself. I was overweight 15 years ago (I was already 40lbs overweight) but I have packed on 50lbs since and I did that 50lbs on my own and now I'm 90lbs overweight.
    Last edited by stacerace; 04-24-2009 at 11:19 PM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Newbie

My point was that you can definately blame your parents for not *trying* to teach you healthy eating habits. Like, if your child is overweight and you are constantly buying them fast-food, having chips around the house instead of carrot sticks and apples, not encouragin any kind of exercise, making them clear their plate full of fried food, then, yes, you can blame the parents, and I very well do blame those types of parents, they are risking their children's health by not at least trying.

And trying is the key word. I also believe their are parents who do try to do everything they can to teach and enforce healthy eating habits and their children still end up overweight. Like the friend in high school I was talking about whose mom was adament about WW or JC and when she went off to college she immediately gained a lot. There is only so much a parent can do, once they've tried their best, it really is the child's responsibility. Even as teenages, children will have a mind of their own and parents can only do so much.

So, to me, the extent of the blame goes as far as the lack of effort they put into it. The problem is, looking in from the outside, it's impossible to judge how much effort the parents are putting into it sometimes. Did the mom really try to encourage healthy food and Ron went against her efforts when Mike and Max were with him? Did the mom serve healthy food and Ron fill the cupboard with chips and soda? I don't know, do parents have to sign something for their minor child to get permission to work at a fast food place? That one kills me.

Anyway, I don't think we can simply blame parents that we don't know for their overweight child until we really know how much they contributed to that or failed to try to prevent it and what kind of extenuating circumstances there are. That is why I'm torn on the whole issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gauc_girl;3423983;
    My point was that you can definately blame your parents for not *trying* to teach you healthy eating habits. Like, if your child is overweight and you are constantly buying them fast-food, having chips around the house instead of carrot sticks and apples, not encouragin any kind of exercise, making them clear their plate full of fried food, then, yes, you can blame the parents, and I very well do blame those types of parents, they are risking their children's health by not at least trying.

And trying is the key word. I also believe their are parents who do try to do everything they can to teach and enforce healthy eating habits and their children still end up overweight. Like the friend in high school I was talking about whose mom was adament about WW or JC and when she went off to college she immediately gained a lot. There is only so much a parent can do, once they've tried their best, it really is the child's responsibility. Even as teenages, children will have a mind of their own and parents can only do so much.

So, to me, the extent of the blame goes as far as the lack of effort they put into it. The problem is, looking in from the outside, it's impossible to judge how much effort the parents are putting into it sometimes. Did the mom really try to encourage healthy food and Ron went against her efforts when Mike and Max were with him? Did the mom serve healthy food and Ron fill the cupboard with chips and soda? I don't know, do parents have to sign something for their minor child to get permission to work at a fast food place? That one kills me.

Anyway, I don't think we can simply blame parents that we don't know for their overweight child until we really know how much they contributed to that or failed to try to prevent it and what kind of extenuating circumstances there are. That is why I'm torn on the whole issue.
    I totally agree and understand where you're coming from. My Mom didn't try to teach me how to eat healthy. Of course, she obviously didn't know how to do it for herself either. She did make me drink Slim Fast for breakfast and take it for lunch when I was in high school. The problem with that is that I would drink my Slim Fast and then buy chips and pop and candy in the vending machine. I didn't lose any weight at all but I did maintain it. My sister still really struggles for herself so she may not necessarily be a great example but she is trying really hard to help her kids make healthy choices and encourages them to be physically active. My nephew is only 6 1/2 and hasn't found the right sport for him yet but he has played T-Ball and Soccer. My niece, who is 10, has been in gymnastics since she was 3 and recently switched to ballet and plans to be a cheerleader in 2 years when she gets to middle school. Whereas my Mom never encouraged me to exercise. My brothers played football and were wrestlers and my sister ran track but I'm uncoordinated and clumsy and not athletic at all so there were no sports for me. But she could have encouraged me to do other things like gardening or bicycling or whatever. Instead she encouraged me to read, which is a good thing but you got to get your nose out of the book and do some activity at some point. Instead, I had read the dictionary from A-Z (yes, I was such a nerd that I actually read the dictionary for FUN!) and all of the World Book Encyclopedias and tons of other books and some novels (A Wrinkle in Time was my favorite ) by the age of 9. I still really struggle with getting off my butt to do anything. I would much rather curl up in the chair with a good novel. I've been walking more but only because I got a dog (a maltese so he doesn't really need much exercise) and then I only walk him to the mailbox or to the car
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Newbie

That's really interesting that our experiences growing up have a lot in common, but with completely different metabolisms. lol Let me explain!

I was also an uncoordinated reader! I didn't really thrive in any sports and liked to keep to myself. I really wish I would have done swimming or track which I think I would have enjoyed and been decent at. Keep in mind that our parents grew up in a time when it was a lot less common for girls to do sports, so I don't really blame them for not encouraging it. I hope my daughter breaks that trend though. Unfortunately she is not exactly athletic like me, when it comes to coordination and that kind of skill that certain sports need. But we try to stay at least moving a little with things she enjoys like bowling and swimming. I hope she tries to develop something like that as she grows older.

Now, the metabolism part. In my family we are skinny minis. It's actually hard keeping us from being underweight at kids. My daughter has always been below 5% on the weight chart, even sometimes falling off. Luckily her doctor was never that worried because she followed my growth chart exactly. My son is a little more naturally at a healthy weight always following around 20% on the weight chart.

Now, after saying that, I know anyone reading is like, oh poor you! Yeah, I know, I'm not complaining, as children and young adults we can eat whatever we want and not gain weight. I think a combination of good metabolism and not a huge appetite.

I'm just sharing this because under these circumstances, it's also hard to establish a healthy lifestyle, when from the outside, it doesn't appear you need to! I want to live a long and healthy life with energy, a healthy heart, digestive system, etc, and just experience good health altogether. My parents do not. They have gained weight, not nearly obese at all, you'd see them and think they are normal slightly overweight older people, but they are not healthy at all. They do not eat healthy and they do not exercise and it affects their energy and mood. I want to live life to the fullest for a long time and I believe that to do that you need to take care of your body no matter what your size is!

Like others have said, I think in another thread, you can be thin and really unfit too. I don't want to be like that either. I want to teach my kids earlier more than I knew and set a good example for that. There are so many more benefits to being healthy than just your size!

I thought he looked great on the finale.
    He still had a little bit of meat on him and looked tanned and healthy and just really good.

I still wonder if brother Max will be on next season.
    They can't be using couples again or we there wouldn't have been an audience option to vote someone on.
    "That's Numberwang!"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I wonder if we could start a petition for Max? And then when they do the at home visits we could check in on his dad and bro.
    And someone else had a 500 lb. father, right?

But judging by the two "contestants" we had to choose from they are not going for the super heavy again next time. Maybe because even though most of these people had lost at least a 1/3 of their weight a lot of them still looked quite heavy, so losing the WOW factor for many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3448861;
    I wonder if we could start a petition for Max? And then when they do the at home visits we could check in on his dad and bro.
    And someone else had a 500 lb. father, right?
    I think that's a great idea.

But judging by the two "contestants" we had to choose from they are not going for the super heavy again next time. Maybe because even though most of these people had lost at least a 1/3 of their weight a lot of them still looked quite heavy, so losing the WOW factor for many of them.
    I think they got the best of both worlds with Tara and Mike, they started out large and lost a lot so they had great before and after's.
    A lot of the other contestants started out so big that even though they have done fantasically well so far, they still have weight to lose.
    Even the likes of Filipe and Sione are probably still a few pounds over what they should be. Kristin still has a way to go, as do Daniel and Ron, to take nothing away from what they've achieved so far.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Jennie O commercial during Emmy pre-show...

I could swear I just saw a Jennie-O commercial, starring Biggest Loser Mike and Ron (from 2 whole seasons ago). Where they talked about how much Jennie-O had helped them, but the Biggest Loser connection was never mentioned (even in a title card) even once.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

To the Point

Re: Jennie O commercial during Emmy pre-show...

I saw that recently as well. It was weird because it was almost over before I even noticed.

+ Reply to Thread