Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Daniel & David : Best Friends

  1. #41
    FORT Fogey mindy384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,865

    Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy;3296952;
    I dunno. Dan seems to have caught the religion, whereas Dave never did. I think there may be a falling out once Dan realizes how much Dave hosed him. And if Dan wins the 100k and some notoriety, that rift is bound to widen.

    But I was floored when Dave mentioned he'd never been in a produce department. Poor boy never had a chance. And OMG, is Wal-Mart where people buy groceries nowadays? I guess a Whole Foods would be about as familiar as a Japanese fish market in NC.

    X
    Actually, I live in N.C. and about two blocks from a Fresh Market. We also have a Whole Foods and many other farm fresh setups all over (individual growers). And, since the boys live in Fuquay-Varina (which also happens to be about 30 minutes from the state capital) they have access to plenty of nice supermarkets... I think they were trying to show that customers can find healthy foods at reasonable prices.
    Is there something wrong with buying groceries from Wal-Mart.. something that deserves an 'OMG'?

  2. #42
    FoRT Lurker CrossingGuard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area / Boston
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

    Does anyone know if Dan's 100 lb weight loss after leaving includes his 60 lb weight loss at the ranch?
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

  3. #43
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3299746;
    Does anyone know if Dan's 100 lb weight loss after leaving includes his 60 lb weight loss at the ranch?
    Yes. They give the total loss including the ranch. So he lost 40 more at home. Dave has lost 46. Perhaps Dan's influence has gotten him rolling. I don't remember what Dave lost at home the first weeks.

  4. #44
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,573

    Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

    Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;3299127;
    Wal-Mart is a great place to shop for groceries and the produce has gotten better over the last year or so. I was delighted to see the show featuring a trip to Wal-Mart to buy the items needed for Dave to cook a nutritious meal. One of the arguments that many people give for not eating healthy foods is that it's too expensive to do so. It doesn't have to be.

    Marilyn
    Back in October I went on a diet which basically was no sugar, no white flour. Oatmeal, yogurt and fruit for breakfast. 4oz of protein, 6oz of a vegetable and a 6oz salad with 1 tablespoon of oil for dressing for lunch and dinner. One thing I really noticed is that my grocery bill went down, down, down, when I cut out potato chips, cookies and prepared foods. Frozen dinners are expensive, a head of broccoli is not.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #45
    Plugh! Xyzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    68

    Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

    Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3299630;
    Is there something wrong with buying groceries from Wal-Mart.. something that deserves an 'OMG'?
    Well, I grew up in central Missouri. We'd seen Wal-Mart "grow up" there, being relatively close to Arkansas. Every store got bigger and bigger as new ones opened. Two of Sam Walton's nieces lived in Columbia, and I've been in both of their (expansive) homes thanks to a company I used to work for that was hired by them for our services.

    However, I left for Seattle about 20 years ago, so my impressions of Wal-Mart remain stuck in the late eighties when I left. Wal-Mart is not well established in Seattle. The two or three Wal-Marts within an hour of my home (there are ONLY two or three) are not showcase properties, to put it mildly. Thus, my impression of chain has not had reason to improve.

    Wal-Mart has been around a long time in Missouri, and when I left, it was somewhere above K-Mart and significantly below Target on the quality scale. We'd go there for durable goods, as stated (barbecues, toiletries, underwear, etc) but you did NOT buy food there. The Wal-Mart was usually one of two or three anchors in a strip mall, and the other anchor was invariably a much better grocery store. Why shop in the puny Wal-Mart food section with short expiration dates and dust on the fruit (not kidding here) when the other end of the parking lot unloads fresh produce every day?

    Admittedly Whole Foods is expensive. I included them for contrast. They market a specialized food (organic, pesticide-free, free trade) and in many midwest markets, that has not caught on yet as something to pay extra for, expecially with a preponderance of great farmers markets and co-ops and such that I do miss from the heartland.

    However, for city-dwellers, good produce is hard to come by, and Whole Foods and Wild Oats (owned by WF) are a stark contrast to typical grocery stores. We do have lots of Safeway, Fred Meyer and QFC chains up here (the last two being northwest chains), and in general, Safeway has better meats, QFC has better produce, and Fred Meyer is somewhere in between. We also have a co-op called PCC Natural Markets that is akin to WF that does very well here. In general, it seems the Northwest has a lot of people that prioritize good produce and support the likes of PCC and WF with their patronage.

    But, growing up where Wal-Mart was considered a store for "rednecks and trailer trash" (not my terms, but commonly heard), the thought of buying produce there still induces a flinch reaction. The chain seems to have changed but I am still an old fogey set in my ways.

    X
    Last edited by Xyzzy; 02-02-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    Dictum ad tua mater.

  6. #46
    FoRT Lurker CrossingGuard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area / Boston
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

    Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3299748;
    Yes. They give the total loss including the ranch. So he lost 40 more at home. Dave has lost 46. Perhaps Dan's influence has gotten him rolling. I don't remember what Dave lost at home the first weeks.
    Then it's pretty disappointing that he lost about 40 lbs. Don't get me wrong, 40 lbs is great. But Dan's a big guy, and I feel that he could have been able to lose more if he stayed at the ranch longer.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

  7. #47
    To the Point
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,553

    Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy;3296952;
    I dunno. Dan seems to have caught the religion, whereas Dave never did. I think there may be a falling out once Dan realizes how much Dave hosed him. And if Dan wins the 100k and some notoriety, that rift is bound to widen.

    But I was floored when Dave mentioned he'd never been in a produce department. Poor boy never had a chance. And OMG, is Wal-Mart where people buy groceries nowadays? I guess a Whole Foods would be about as familiar as a Japanese fish market in NC.

    X
    NC has plenty of really good grocery stores including Whole Foods, Fresh Market, etc.. However, those places do tend to be a bit pricey. NC isn't on the list of best places to live, etc. because it's backwoods.

    Also, the Raleigh area (which is the general area for Dan/Dave) has an excellent farmer's market that one can shop for great fresh produce for a large part of the year.

  8. #48
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    185

    Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3300915;
    Then it's pretty disappointing that he lost about 40 lbs. Don't get me wrong, 40 lbs is great. But Dan's a big guy, and I feel that he could have been able to lose more if he stayed at the ranch longer.
    Since we don't really know the time period involved, it's hard to tell, but you're probably right. Still, what's better for Dan in the long run? Change your life slowly at home and keep the weight off long-term? OR Change your diet and exercise on the ranch to win a prize and then gain it back? Not that he couldn't win the prize and then ultimately change his life at home, but losing more in a shorter period of time isn't necessarily the best thing when it comes to weight loss. I know they want to win the money, but the ultimate prize would be a true life change and that takes time and it takes actually being in your life. I say "Bravo!" to Dan.

  9. #49
    FORT Fan LrcLinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Webster, Ohio
    Posts
    356

    Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy;3300086;
    Well, I grew up in central Missouri. We'd seen Wal-Mart "grow up" there, being relatively close to Arkansas. Every store got bigger and bigger as new ones opened. Two of Sam Walton's nieces lived in Columbia, and I've been in both of their (expansive) homes thanks to a company I used to work for that was hired by them for our services.

    However, I left for Seattle about 20 years ago, so my impressions of Wal-Mart remain stuck in the late eighties when I left. Wal-Mart is not well established in Seattle. The two or three Wal-Marts within an hour of my home (there are ONLY two or three) are not showcase properties, to put it mildly. Thus, my impression of chain has not had reason to improve.

    Wal-Mart has been around a long time in Missouri, and when I left, it was somewhere above K-Mart and significantly below Target on the quality scale. We'd go there for durable goods, as stated (barbecues, toiletries, underwear, etc) but you did NOT buy food there. The Wal-Mart was usually one of two or three anchors in a strip mall, and the other anchor was invariably a much better grocery store. Why shop in the puny Wal-Mart food section with short expiration dates and dust on the fruit (not kidding here) when the other end of the parking lot unloads fresh produce every day?

    Admittedly Whole Foods is expensive. I included them for contrast. They market a specialized food (organic, pesticide-free, free trade) and in many midwest markets, that has not caught on yet as something to pay extra for, expecially with a preponderance of great farmers markets and co-ops and such that I do miss from the heartland.

    However, for city-dwellers, good produce is hard to come by, and Whole Foods and Wild Oats (owned by WF) are a stark contrast to typical grocery stores. We do have lots of Safeway, Fred Meyer and QFC chains up here (the last two being northwest chains), and in general, Safeway has better meats, QFC has better produce, and Fred Meyer is somewhere in between. We also have a co-op called PCC Natural Markets that is akin to WF that does very well here. In general, it seems the Northwest has a lot of people that prioritize good produce and support the likes of PCC and WF with their patronage.

    But, growing up where Wal-Mart was considered a store for "rednecks and trailer trash" (not my terms, but commonly heard), the thought of buying produce there still induces a flinch reaction. The chain seems to have changed but I am still an old fogey set in my ways.

    X

    I shop at Wal-Mart every week. The store is nice and very clean. It's a super duper sized Wal-Mart. They are not exclusively in the grocery business, so there are times when I may not find an item I need. When that happens, I stop at Kroger. Kroger is strictly a grocery store, so they do have more items, but they're also more expensive.

    Neither store is a Wegman, which is where I used to shop, but there's nothing wrong with them either.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.