Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Daniel & David : Best Friends

CCL

Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

There's an article on Dan in the new People Magazine. The interview must have been taken around the time of his "transformation" clip because it mentions the 101-pound loss and he looks the same. They have a picture of his family and they are all thin (though I think it his stepdad and not dad in the photo; perhaps his biological dad is heavy).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by ProbablyBaby;3293433;
    I just think that once the Biggest Loser is over, that Dave will drag Dan back down. I don't think Dave is motivated enough to lose the weight, and once they start hanging out together again after the Biggest Loser, they will fall back to their bad habits. I think the only hope is if Dan loses a bunch more weight, maybe he'll like himself enough to not let Dave bring him down.
    I dunno. Dan seems to have caught the religion, whereas Dave never did. I think there may be a falling out once Dan realizes how much Dave hosed him. And if Dan wins the 100k and some notoriety, that rift is bound to widen.

But I was floored when Dave mentioned he'd never been in a produce department. Poor boy never had a chance. And OMG, is Wal-Mart where people buy groceries nowadays? I guess a Whole Foods would be about as familiar as a Japanese fish market in NC.

X
    Dictum ad tua mater.

CCL

Well, Walmart is far more economical than Whole Foods (Whole Foods doesn't have the nickname "Whole Paycheque" for nothing).

Speaking of Dan's having "caught the religion" one thing of interest in the People article was about Dan wanting to go to seminary school and become a pastor.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3297006;
    Well, Walmart is far more economical than Whole Foods (Whole Foods doesn't have the nickname "Whole Paycheque" for nothing).

Speaking of Dan's having "caught the religion" one thing of interest in the People article was about Dan wanting to go to seminary school and become a pastor.
    When he loses the weight he may change his career plans. Often outcasts are drawn to a church seeking acceptance and being in a position of respect and often idolized.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3297043;
    When he loses the weight he may change his career plans. Often outcasts are drawn to a church seeking acceptance and being in a position of respect and often idolized.
    How do we know that he hasn't gone to church his whole life and always had the desire to be a preacher but not the confidence? I don't think it's fair to assume that he is an "outcast drawn to the church seeking acceptance". Most of the minsters that I know had the desire to go into the ministry at around the age of 12 or 13. My sister was 16 when she felt "called" to Children's Ministry. She got a little distracted by marriage and kids over the years but she is now the Director or Elementary Education at our church and is about to start school for Children's Ministry. Just because she waited until she was 35 doesn't mean she hasn't been thinking about it since she was 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy;3296952;
    But I was floored when Dave mentioned he'd never been in a produce department. Poor boy never had a chance. And OMG, is Wal-Mart where people buy groceries nowadays? I guess a Whole Foods would be about as familiar as a Japanese fish market in NC.
    I myself have never even heard of Whole Foods. Is there actually a grocery store by that name? That name is a little unimaginative I'm sure there's not a place like that in Oklahoma. I usually get my groceries at Wal-Mart, Homeland, Crest or Buy4Less. Mostly Wal-Mart and Buy4Less.
    Last edited by stacerace; 01-30-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Fogey

I'm going to cut these kids a bit of a break. Neither strikes me as particularly mature, and this whole thing may have just been too much, too soon.

The emotions that go along with weight are tremendous and I think Dave needs more help in that area than he'd get with Jillian yelling in his face all the time. I don't think he was ready...

I don't know. Getting on the show is a HUGE gift, but we're all human and it just may not be for everyone. In fact, I think we've seen this with several contestants in past seasons who seem to just check out rather than embrace the opportunity. Dave was just vocal about it. It was a shame for his partner, though. That's for sure.
    Last edited by Jexter; 01-30-2009 at 11:11 PM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Whole Foods...I think the name is meant to evoke an image like "whole grain"--healthy stuff. The emphasis is on organic/natural foods. It's pretty common on the coasts, and is reputed to have very good produce, pretty much pesticide free, that kind of thing, but yeah, you pay more for that. I just checked them on Google...they've got stores in 37 states and DC, plus Canada and the UK. But they tend to be in more expensive areas...in Alabama in the Mountain Brook suburb of Birmingham for example.
    Now food at Wal-Mart...I admit I still think of it as being durable goods--clothes, pots & pans, that kind of stuff.
    My kids both shop at Whole Foods, but I still go to the regular grocery stores. Now and then to a local organic chain, Wild By Nature, mostly because they have fabulous "deli" selections, like unusual grain salads.
    I was just watching a tape that included a bit of last season...and Vicky's dislike of vegetables, and how her kids wouldn't even eat potatoes (she was going to introduce them to veggies via potatoes!!!). I think a lot of these contestants have missed out on being exposed to good tasting vegetables. My own kids loved them, would always be snacking from veggies I was trying to cut up for dinner. They even love broccoli---esp. when I cooked it a bit and put olive oil and a little lemon juice or vinegar and some herbs on it and added it to a salad...was hard to keep enough on the counter while it cooled to go into the salad. It's all in what you eat as a kid I think--we had the "one bite" rule--you had to try one bite of everything, even something you didn't like, because tastes change.
    Unfortunately loving veggies isn't enough to equal thin, as I can tell you from my own experience! But it is certainly better than not. My kids are adults now and still thin, but then so was I at that age...hope they have better luck than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3298179;
    Whole Foods...I think the name is meant to evoke an image like "whole grain"--healthy stuff. The emphasis is on organic/natural foods. It's pretty common on the coasts, and is reputed to have very good produce, pretty much pesticide free, that kind of thing, but yeah, you pay more for that. I just checked them on Google...they've got stores in 37 states and DC, plus Canada and the UK. But they tend to be in more expensive areas...in Alabama in the Mountain Brook suburb of Birmingham for example.
    Now food at Wal-Mart...I admit I still think of it as being durable goods--clothes, pots & pans, that kind of stuff.
    My kids both shop at Whole Foods, but I still go to the regular grocery stores. Now and then to a local organic chain, Wild By Nature, mostly because they have fabulous "deli" selections, like unusual grain salads.
    I was just watching a tape that included a bit of last season...and Vicky's dislike of vegetables, and how her kids wouldn't even eat potatoes (she was going to introduce them to veggies via potatoes!!!). I think a lot of these contestants have missed out on being exposed to good tasting vegetables. My own kids loved them, would always be snacking from veggies I was trying to cut up for dinner. They even love broccoli---esp. when I cooked it a bit and put olive oil and a little lemon juice or vinegar and some herbs on it and added it to a salad...was hard to keep enough on the counter while it cooled to go into the salad. It's all in what you eat as a kid I think--we had the "one bite" rule--you had to try one bite of everything, even something you didn't like, because tastes change.
    Unfortunately loving veggies isn't enough to equal thin, as I can tell you from my own experience! But it is certainly better than not. My kids are adults now and still thin, but then so was I at that age...hope they have better luck than I did.
    I've always LOVED vegetables but I'm fat Of course, I usually melt cheese all over my broccoli and cauliflower and dip all my raw veggies in ranch dressing and smear lots of butter on my potatoes and melt it in my corn and peas. It's still better than eating fast food though, which as an adult I do more than anything else. When I was a kid I maintained a healthy weight even though I added a bunch of fatty stuff to my veggies.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

FORT Fan

Wal-Mart is a great place to shop for groceries and the produce has gotten better over the last year or so. I was delighted to see the show featuring a trip to Wal-Mart to buy the items needed for Dave to cook a nutritious meal. One of the arguments that many people give for not eating healthy foods is that it's too expensive to do so. It doesn't have to be.

Marilyn

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;3299127;
    Wal-Mart is a great place to shop for groceries and the produce has gotten better over the last year or so. I was delighted to see the show featuring a trip to Wal-Mart to buy the items needed for Dave to cook a nutritious meal. One of the arguments that many people give for not eating healthy foods is that it's too expensive to do so. It doesn't have to be.

Marilyn
    I agree. I live in the sticks and we don't have any special grocery stores like Whole Foods. Walmart is where a lot of people around here get their groceries. I've gotten produce there and haven't minded it.

I think Dave needs to make himself more familiar with the produce section. I can't really see him eating salads though. He didn't seem very motivated at all. He's probably hitting the buffet table as we speak.
    Wake up and be awesome

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast