Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Daniel & David : Best Friends

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Re: Daniel & David : Best Friends

I'm rooting for Daniel. He, even though the heaviest, seems up for any challenge that Jillian puts in front of him. Imagine telling her to bump up his speed on the treadmill. I don't know that I would do that. And realistically, 31 pounds in two weeks is an accomplishment!

Daniel has a great attitude! I think that everyone there is rooting for him too! It would have been better if the show had kept them all at the ranch for 2 weeks so that the others could get more of a jump start on things. I week of of training is hardly enough to change years of bad habits. Hopefully they're not just playing to the cameras and then sneaking twinkies in the bathroom!

Unfortunately, I think Dan and David are the face of Young America now--and the face of young America is fat. This is the generation that has grown up with fast food/convenience food galore and video games and texting in lieu of big muscle activties like bike riding and running. Even being a football player isn't a high-cardio sport to burn lots of calories--how many ex footballers have we had on this show to date? (hello, Roger!) Football linemen are chosen for their size and don't learn anything about eating healthy--they just eat a lot. Kudos to these two young men for doing something about their weight now and not waiting until they are in their 40s or older (assuming that they'd even make it that long.)

Anybody remember Mo? At 404 pounds he was the heaviest guy of his season. Ha. How shocking and sad that a 19-year-old kid had 50 pounds on him. Mo was, as I recall, very tall also, like 6'5".

Surely something is direly wrong in our country for a child to become almost 500 pounds before he hits 20 years old. Dan has the advantage of youth and the fact that his weight has not yet permanently damaged his organs. This is truly a life-and-death matter that he get his weight down to normal levels. I have a 5-year-old niece who weighs nearly 70 pounds already, or what would be appropriate for a fourth or fifth grader. I wish I could get her mother to see that she is headed down a path of severe adult obesity NOW, before she has learned to hate her body or internalize negative body images, and before the kids at school start opening taunting her. My niece may wind up as heavy or heavier than any of the girls on this show and it breaks my heart.

Don't doubt for a minute that todays kids have more weight problems than past generations. I watch the news shows about it BUT Daniel and David are FAR from being the face of todays youth. Maybe it's just Southern California but I never see kids that even come close to the weight on these two! I asked my daughter if there were any kids at her high school like them and she said that only 2 kids even come close and they still aren't as big. There are different degrees of obesity and you can't compare being chubby to the extreme cases of morbid obesity that are Daniel and David. It's child abuse ,what Daniel's parents allowed to happen to him. He didn't get that big after turning 18. He should have been under a doctor's care at least 200 pounds ago! He walks like a fat little baby! 50 more lbs and he won't even be walking. 100 more and he's living a in bed with, whoever his enabler is, bringing him food. Daniel and David seem to be very nice guys. It will break my heart if they don't take off at least half the weight but they are not the face of today's youth. It's a great scare tactic but not the truth (OK, maybe if you live in Mississippi the fattest state).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3278240;
    Don't doubt for a minute that todays kids have more weight problems than past generations. I watch the news shows about it BUT Daniel and David are FAR from being the face of todays youth. Maybe it's just Southern California but I never see kids that even come close to the weight on these two! I asked my daughter if there were any kids at her high school like them and she said that only 2 kids even come close and they still aren't as big. ...... It's a great scare tactic but not the truth (OK, maybe if you live in Mississippi the fattest state).
    My two kids graduated a suburban high school (although with a very unique socioeconomic blend, i.e. 1/3 rich, 1/3 poor, 1/3 in the middle and a comparable racial mix) and none of the kids I've seen around there are morbidly obese. In fact, I can only think of a handful of kids who probably struggle with weight.

We live in the Minneapolis area and the kids around here are pretty saavy about that kind of thing.

However, when I go to cities outside the metro area, I see more of a problem. There is less to do, or maybe less motivation or emphasis on healthy lifestyles. I think when we see geographic areas with clusters of morbidly obese people (young or old), it is more a cultural thing than an age thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Kao

I live in a huge city in the midwest and I see a LOT of obesity. I can definitely say I see a lot more of it now than I did 10-15 years ago. And I think it's a part of how people live now in general. Everything is on the go, we drive everywhere, sit in an office for 8+ hours, watch TV or surf the net, etc. Lots of suburbs don't even have sidewalks!

We have very quickly become a sedentary society...and one of the drawbacks is food goes in, but we aren't doing much to get it back off again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3279891;
    I live in a huge city in the midwest and I see a LOT of obesity. I can definitely say I see a lot more of it now than I did 10-15 years ago. And I think it's a part of how people live now in general. Everything is on the go, we drive everywhere, sit in an office for 8+ hours, watch TV or surf the net, etc. Lots of suburbs don't even have sidewalks!

We have very quickly become a sedentary society...and one of the drawbacks is food goes in, but we aren't doing much to get it back off again.
    I myself live in OKC and we actually were named the fattest city in America so that our mayer came up with some sort of lose weight challenge a couple of years ago. Sorry, I never really checked out the website to see what that was all about but I did see him on the Ellen DeGenerous show talking about it.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

There is still a HUGE difference between being 50, 100, or even 150 pounds overweight and the EXTREME case of Daniel. His problem won't be solved by eating a few Jello pudding snacks or chewing sugarless gum. He isn't an adult who gradually put on weight. He's eaten non-stop since childhood! I'd like the show to investigate his home and find out who's "helping" him to be fat. If he gets sent home I hope that he seeks out the help of trainers and a shrink. If he loses his weight it will be the biggest success story ever but he needs real help!

CCL

In an article in US Magazine he said his family tried to help him but he'd go to friends' houses and eat pizza. I'm sure that when he was a child his parents were (more) responsible for what he ate, but once he got to school age he had more opportunities to eat badly (the corner store next to the school for candy, buying "bad" things for lunch, going to friends' houses as he said etc).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Did they just show Daniel's weigh in with a weight of 406???!!! How could that be? Isn't anyone watching what he eats?
    I really hope it isn't true--he desparately needs to lose weight.....

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast