Closed Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Vicky -The Biggest Loser: Families

FORT Newbie

Re: Vicky -The Biggest Loser: Families

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3253920;
    They're already having trouble with this one. And to pull your comment from earlier about it being unfair to say that Vicky doesn't care about her children, what else are we to glean from someone who openly admitted to not caring enough about a video from home to put forth any real effort in the comparatively simple task of walking around a balance beam. It's not like she was being asked to hold up 900 lbs of water, do laps up and down a mountain, or anything like that. She had to walk around in circles and the ability to see her kids wasn't worth the effort. What kind of person says that?

And that's before we consider the fact that she allowed her four year old daughter to balloon to 70 lbs.

Here's the thing about reality tv in general. If you don't say it, if you don't do it, then they can't use it against you. Vicky might not be thrilled with the way she's been edited, but at the end of the day, she's responsible for her own actions. She's the one who chose to go on this show, she's the one who chose to say the things she said and do the things she did. In doing so, she opened herself up to criticism. If she went into this being so naive as to believe that the producers would show her in her most flattering light, it's her own fault. If you don't give it to them, they can't air it. She may have plenty of other sides to her, but she couldn't control the uglier ones very well.

Her fifteen minutes seem to have come at a price she may or may not have been prepared to pay, but that doesn't mean that the viewing public should be expected to chalk it all up to a couple bad days. Plenty of other contestants have passed through this show without posting revenge notes on their walls, or admitting to spending the week calling a "teammate" a backstabbing bitch. Is it admirable that she lacked the maturity to carry herself in even a moderately respectful and dignified manner on national tv? I say no, and for that, I'm not going to think of her in the same light that I would think of Michelle, for example, or Ed. I'm not going to automatically respect her for the simple fact that she went on a reality tv show. Respect is earned, not blindly granted, and the 20 hours of her behavior that I've seen certainly led me to think less than positively of her.
    I think you've forgotten that just the week before she won a care package with pictures and a recorded message from her kids. So she probably thought a videotape wasn't worth injuring herself any further. She even admitted later that she would have tried harder if she had know it was going to be a live feed.

As for her behavior, I've never tried to justify the things she did. I just asked how is it okay to attack her and call her bad names and wish ill upon her and her family, and question her parenting skills and then justify it by saying it's okay because she was mean first? As my mother use to say, "two wrongs don't make a right."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3253964;
    Vicky has received death threats:

Honestly, it's just a reality show! I don't understand why people have to react so negatively by giving her death threats.
    I'm NOT a Vicky fan, and to post an opinion or two on reality tv boards is o.k. in my book, but death threats is just whacked.

On Top Chef, Season one, the villans of the show where Tiffany and Stephan. During the reunion Stephan apologized to one of the other chefs he had words with. In interviews he said until he saw himself on TV he never thought his manner and how he interacts with people was that bad or offputting until he saw how he acted on the episodes. He realized how pompous, arrogant and overbearing he could be and down right condescending to the other chefs. He said one of the best things about being on the show was to see how other people saw him, and see that some of his behavior was not "nice" and be able to change it. Hopefully, both Vicky and Heba can also be mature enough adults to realize there is a reason people react so negatively to them and perphaps it is because of they way they react to people. Maybe they too can change.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

ReaLAgirl wrote:

>>> I think a lot of your comments are things YOU have projected on to Vicky and Brady just by little snippets of information you've heard. If you look at the Biggest Loser Website, it says Brady is a pharmacist so I don't think he stays at home and even if he did that wouldn't mean Vicky was selfish, or didn't love her children, some women like to work and they have children and they raise them to be happy, healthy productive members of society. >>>

Well, let's be honest--Every single viewer projects things onto these people we know only from television, since we can't live with them and see their day-to-day lives, or have followed them through the years to see how they got to where they are individually. I am not alone in being guilty of this--you are doing the same thing yourself with your pro-Vicky stance. You don't have any more information than I have to assume that V. and B. were portrayed so unfairly.

I was unaware that Brady was a pharmacist, so thank you for pointing that out. Please let me rectify this impression you have received that I am anti-working moms or anti-fathers staying home with kids--absolutely NOT the case on both counts. We were not privy to Vicky and Brady's child care arrangements; we didn't see the kids with a nanny or in day care, so I assumed that, given Vicky's work schedule (which we did see part of) that Brady was the parent who was home with them the majority of the time. He may have flexible hours, or he may have put his profession on hold while his children are still so young. And that is awesome, in my book. I said what I did about his 'subservient' role, not to denote that stay-at-home parents are lesser, be they mothers or fathers, but because, based on the footage we saw at the ranch, Vicky was absolutely the ringleader and her husband followed suit. All the time. Based on comments Brady made about his children, I suss him as perhaps the more nurturing of the two and the lesser of two evils, as it were. But you cannot dispute that he seems easily led by his wife. In some circles, we call that 'whipped'. I'm speaking solely about their interpersonal dynamics as a couple, NOT about domestic arrangements they have made at home--I am absolutely not judging them for their working and parenting choices. I think, were I mother (I am not) I would hope to work and have a husband that would support my so doing, as Brady seems to support his wife. However, we can also make a case that their poor lifestyle choices up until this point HAVE negatively affected their children. They themselves acknowledge as much. The issue for me was not, and never has been, about Vicky being a working mother. Working moms DO have to put that much more effort into planning healthy meals and family time given their limited free time at home. I don't even judge her for not eating veggies and letting her daughter get so heavy. (Even though the eating habits of preschool children ARE solely the province of the parents. Assuming that the little girl doesn't have Prater-Willie syndrome, her weight problems are the responsibility of her parents.) But I have a niece who is just as overweight, so I'm not judging V. & B. because of their weight issues. I reserve my judgement for more internal qualities.

>>>As for the dynamics of their relationship, can you honestly justify what you said? Let's face it two hours of a tv can't give that much information, again I would say you're projecting based on the negative feeling you have towards her. They've been married for 18 years and obviously they are happy together.

I've hit some of that above. I can justify my view of their family dynamics from what I have seen as much as you can--we've both seen the same amount of footage. Which is to say that we might both be wrong and they fall somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I certainly hope they are happy, though I know plenty of miserable couples who have been married for 18 years or longer, and still stay married. My wish for both of them is that they would stay married, but also make the remaining years good ones, for them and for their kids. The show highlighted some traits of character (whether or not they are actually this way, it was a conscious editorial decision to portray them in a certain unflattering light--and that was footage they supplied themselves, mind you.) Really, you ought to take it up with the BL producers and not me if you feel B & V were unfairly portrayed. I'm just calling it as I saw it. Along with most of America. I applaud you for having the courage to express the minority opinion on this board--you know what? For the sake of V. & B.s children, family and friends, I hope that your view is the correct one and that they ARE actually selfless, giving, loving, caring and generous. One thinks perhaps if those qualities were often on display, the camera might have caught some evidence of it once in a while. Just saying.

>>>As for her temperament not matching up with her work, have you been to a hospital lately? Lots of Doctors and nurses tend to be very arrogant and love to talk down to their patients. Being a medical professional does not require sainthood it's just a job for some just like any other profession.

Are you perhaps a medical professional? Yes, I have noticed that many doctors can be brusque and have God complexes. I have noticed it less with nurses, however, since they do have the bulk of patient care and interaction. Let me just say that if I ever require hospitalization and surgery, I hope that I get a kind, sweet, not arrogant nurse. Saints are certainly welcome to be my nurse too--it would make my stay so much more pleasant. I would not care to be Vicky's patient. I'm sure she gives adequate care, though I would sure prefer a warmer and fuzzier nurse taking care of me.

>>>I have to admit I'm surprised that you feel having contempt for Vicki is okay. How is what you're doing any different than what Vicky did? Didn't that kind of behavior make Vicky so hated in everyone's eyes? Part of the problem I had with this season is the bitterness and anger a lot of fans had. I mean shouldn't we rise above that kind of hatred and contempt and be better than that?

I admit that Jesus would most likely not spend any time on the FORT bashing reality show contestants, as He has so many better things to do. But if we we all like Jesus, this board would die from disuse pretty quickly. If I worked with Vicky, or even had to share the ranch with her, would I act contemptuously toward her? No, I wouldn't. But airing my grievances against her in a cyber forum is a completely different animal. She agreed to the whole kit and caboodle of viewer response when she signed up to be a part of this show. Whether or not she 'chose' to be cast as the villian of this piece, she did choose to provide them with ample footage of unflattering clips for the editors to choose from, didn't she? Many of her more self-serving commentary was not shot in the heat of battle, but rather during the interview segments, when she was in full command of what she was going to say. She provided the ammunition. Please don't demonize me for throwing it back at her--if she was entitled to play the game as she saw fit, then I as a viewer am entitled to make certain assumptions about her based on her words, her actions, her general attitude as it was presented to us. You yourself said that gameplay is a big part of this for many. Vicky proved herself to be a stellar gameplayer. Unfortunately a 'win at all costs' mentality is often incompatible with being a stellar human being, and I think we saw glimpses of that in her.

>>>While I'm by no means excusing Vicki's behavior, I think it's just as bad to treat her with contempt and then say it's okay because she acted that way first.>>>

Again, they all opened themselves up for censure and scrutiny when they signed that contract. She had the option of softening her presentation and being less harsh and vindictive on the campus if she felt that she was being skewed unfairly. I know she didn't see this footage as it was being shot, but nobody was holding a gun to her head and making her say those words. I have to say, the worst thing she did in my view was post what was tantamount to a threat of intimidation and hazing on her door about Amy C. Nobody forced her to do that either. I view that as so very disturbed middle-school girl mentality--very YouTube generation. Vicky's a 37-year-old mother; is that in any way an appropriate expression of 'gameplay'? If calling her on the carpet for that is as bad as actually 'doing' it, then I am guilty as charged. But I don't accept that the two can be compared. Based on that incident alone, which she can't deny was completely cooked up by producers 'out to get her', I am inclined to believe the worst about Vicky. I think it's quite a shame that Amy C. didn't vote Vicky out when she had the chance. Her generosity (or more likely fear of Vicky) cost her a spot in the finals. We see how Vicky rewarded that gesture the following week, did we not?

She's been handsomely renumerated for her participation in this show, even if she didn't win the big money. Perhaps this experience will make her reflect on how she treats people--including her own husband, for whom she had some choice degrading words too, as I recall. At the very least, she owes Amy C. an apology.

FORT Fogey

hakari Thanks.

I just finished reading Vicky's interview with "People" above. If that was supposed to be an image rehabilitation piece, it has failed, because her words in print have only served to underscore the opinion I already had of her. In fact, it might be worse than I thought. Does the woman have a single sense-of-humor particle in her body?

"It’s both the editing and the game playing. I never lied to anybody. I never smiled when people got on the scale and gained weight. I’m a nurse and I’m kind. Even when I voted Amy off, there were no vindictive feelings because she was one of my best friends there. I was mad when she voted Brady off but everybody is human and everybody gets angry but we had made up. There were just a lot of things that were one-sided that America didn’t get to see."

We have her own testimonial here that 'she's kind' and there were 'no vindictive feelings' when she voted off 'one of her best friends there', Amy C.

Wow. Does anybody here leave hazing threats to a 'best friend' out in public view? If that's how Vicky treats her 'best friends' I'd sure hate to be one of her enemies. They probably get a dead horse's head placed in their beds while they are sleeping. Or maybe they get some severed fingers mailed to them. Or maybe she tampers with the brakes on their car.

Sure, we absolutely believe that Vicky wasn't still mad over Amy C.'s voting her husband off 2 weeks later when she exacted her revenge on this really good friend of hers. Amy, Amy . . .if only you'd maintained your cojones for one more week, it could've been you interviewed in People, you in the finals. What a price you paid. Vicky's intimidation tactics appear to have worked their magic.

Memo to Ms. Vilcan: Did your mama ever tell you that no one likes a self-promoter? Compliments have a lot more weight of authenticity when they come from other people? You are not kind just because you tell us so. You're kind if we hear it from other folks about you. That makes it real . . .sadly, I don't recall anyone else stepping up to tell us how kind you are. Not even your 'best friend' Amy C. Hmm.

What’s something that you wish they would have aired?
    I wish that America did see exactly how injured I was. And how I would wake up when everybody was sleeping and work out. And how I would swim four hours a day. I don’t think they ever did show me swim one time on the show. I’m a working mom and I managed to fit it all in and I think that should inspire working women everywhere.

Now this here's my absolute favorite part. What does she wish America would've seen more of her doing? Practicing random acts of kindness, perhaps? No . . . more shots of her working out! She wants more shots of her nocturnal sweating and laps in the pool!

Oh, my. Where to start with this? Does Vicky really think that America didn't warm to her because she was lazy? Because we didn't think she exercised enough? Her complete lack of self-awareness is truly remarkable. Vicky worked incredibly hard--she had impressive weight losses every week; nobody disputes that at all. What would've been helpful was more footage of her being kind to people; being a cheerleader for a struggling team member; smiling, perhaps . . .maybe being a trooper and trying hard to win a challenge instead of dismissing it as stupid . . .maybe posting an inspirational quote on her door instead of a death threat . . .something along these lines.

So great is her self-aggrandizement here that she doesn't take into account that they've never shown anybody in that pool, except once when someone had a foot injury. It is a gorgeous pool; I often wondered if they ever used it. I certainly would if I were there. But to take issue with the fact that the camera crew wasn't there in the middle of the night to record her movements and THAT'S why America hates her . . .Oy. So very very wrong.

hikari your posts are a treat to read.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3254284;
    hakari Thanks.
    YES.. now when someone says...how can you say that about her (like I am the mean one) I will just refer to your excellent comments! Thanks hakari!

Okay, I'm confused.....if Vicky swims all the time, then why was she afraid to jump in the water, during the challenge. Why did Ed have to jump in to coax her down?????????????? And another thing, if she is kind,then why did she make that smart remark about Phil during the weigh in?????? This girl needs therapy and fast.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I believe she was afraid of the height and the drop down into the water, not the water itself.
    Wake up and be awesome

Closed Thread