+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finale predictions

Re: Finale predictions

I still firmly believe there's a difference between what one should do and what one could do. That's where I'm struggling.

FORT Fogey

This is a very difficult Final 4. I like all 4 of the remaining players. I really liked how Roger admitted at the end that he didn't go through any sort of personal transformation during this show. Instead, he plain and simple said, I needed to lose weight. I was really impressed with his honesty. He's got a silent strength about him that I really, really like.

I can't help but be charmed by Mark. His drive is more impressive than I've ever seen on the show. I think he'll be one to keep the weight off in the end.

I like Kelly too. She hung in there to the very end. Unlike Roger, I think she has some emotional baggage to overcome. I am hopeful she does it and gains control of her life.

And then there is Ali. She's adorable and always seems upbeat - even when she's sad! She is really working the weight issue from all sides and embracing all the changes it is bringing.

Even though I like them all, I think Ali emodies the spirit of the show the most and therefore, I think she is my personal favorite right now.
    Last edited by Jexter; 04-14-2008 at 01:15 AM.

I was extremely impressed with Roger in the beginning and then his edit got progressively worse and I'm not sure if that has something to do with him or the way the producers are editing him. I'd like to hope he didn't turn into a bit of a 3 year old temper tantrum thrower over the course of the season. But if that's the case, then he really doesn't get my vote.

Kelly really does have a lot of emotional baggage. They all do. But she seems to have much more than her "fair" share. She had a few added levels of baggage that were causing her grief during the show too. I really have come to like her and I am rooting hard for her all the way.

Mark, well he looks like he should stop losing. He looks like he's hit his lower limit. I know statistically he hasn't, but to me, he physically looks like he should not be losing anymore weight. I don't think he should be the winner of BL. I'd rather it be Ali than him. That says a lot.

Ali, she's done amazing. NOthing can take away from that. I don't think that it would be fair to be little any of her accomplishments as much as I dislike her. I am coming to the realization that it will most likely be her that wins and I think maybe because I'm getting used to the idea, I'm starting to be okay with it. I'd rather it Kelly, but percentage wise I just don't see it being Kelly.

Just one more day til we find out what happens--I'm on pins and needles.

I had a friend who was my height (5'4 and a half) who was extremely athletic. She was a runner & married to an equally athletic husband. They were both highly competitive & would train together. At 6'3", he had considerably longer legs, but she was adamant that she was going to 'keep up' with her lanky husband--and she did. She was very small-boned, and had very little discernible fat anywhere on her body. She weighed 120 pounds, but looked even smaller than that, to my eye.

Then she got pregnant. Because she was so fit, she had a healthy, easy pregnancy. Still being mindful to eat well and be an active mother-to-be, she had only gained about 15 pounds by the time she reached her 8th month. Her baby bump was small and cute, and she had never looked more beautiful or healthy. Pregnancy hormones aside, her body seemed to be very happy at 135 pounds . . .she had subtly filled out all over and had some womanly curves that she did not have at the lower weight, but it was still obvious that she was toned all over.

Ever since then, my own 'ideal' goal weight has been 135, even though the charts tell me that I could go down to 120 for my height, for a BMI of 19. 135 puts me at a BMI of 22.5, still well below 'overweight'. When I get within 15 pounds of that goal, I will assess if I in fact need to go down that much. I am a member of Weight Watchers, and what has made an impression on me is that many of the "success stories" who are now lifetime members have settled at a weight that is slightly higher than might be expected for their height. 140 pounds at 5"4', for example. And yet we have the measurements and photographic evidence to prove that they are not 'overweight', particularly since they have been working out regularly for 3 years or more to reach these weights.

Within the broad range suggested by the health charts, each individual has to find the weight at which they feel and look their best--even if it s 15 pounds higher than their optimum weight by the charts. A chart can't fully account for how that weight is going to look on a person, given their unique body composition. Height and general frame build are only the guidelines.

Crossing my fingers for all our contestants. What a shame there can't be 4 prize winners--but they are ALL winners, regardless.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;2917559;
    Just one more day til we find out what happens--I'm on pins and needles.

(snip)

Crossing my fingers for all our contestants. What a shame there can't be 4 prize winners--but they are ALL winners, regardless.
    I think you are channeling me, right now! I, too, am on pins and needles and I think the top four should get prizes.

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;2917559;

Within the broad range suggested by the health charts, each individual has to find the weight at which they feel and look their best--even if it s 15 pounds higher than their optimum weight by the charts. A chart can't fully account for how that weight is going to look on a person, given their unique body composition. Height and general frame build are only the guidelines.
    Bingo!! That's just it. They're only guidelines. It bothers me when people so rigidly adhere to them as if they are the be all and end all of how a person's supposed to look. I don't really know what I believe in terms of some people being build "bigger", or what have you, but I do know that two 5'4 people look very different at the same weight. Or at the very least, can look very different.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2917789;
    Bingo!! That's just it. They're only guidelines. It bothers me when people so rigidly adhere to them as if they are the be all and end all of how a person's supposed to look. I don't really know what I believe in terms of some people being build "bigger", or what have you, but I do know that two 5'4 people look very different at the same weight. Or at the very least, can look very different.
    Yes, so much depends on the individual elements that make up a person's body structure. Ali and I are about the same height (I claim 5'5" in shoes). Looking at her newly sculpted body (with envy!) I'd say that she and I have similar frames (overlooking the fact that I'm still, er . . .padded!) We both have broader upper halves and relatively smaller bottom halves. Sort of like an inverted triangle. This frame seems to be well-represented among the ranks of swimmers, which Ali was. Being smaller in the hips, with powerful shoulders gives one an aerodynamic advantage in the water. It is a more difficult female body type to dress because it is not the typical feminine shape that is more hourglass. Kelly has more of the typical female figure that carries most of its weight on the bottom. Even if she achieved the same number on the scale as Ali, chances are that it would still be distributed very differently on her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123