+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 4/8 show discussion **spoilers**

Re: 4/8 show discussion **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by niteowl64;2908614;
    I hear ya but it wasn't a completely fair playing field that they got eliminated by a different set of rules than any other team. If your at risk only when falling below the yellow line, it should stay consistant. Ali and Betty Sue never fell below the yellow line, yet they were at risk. On top of which, at no other time during the game were any teams at risk while still being above the yellow line. It should be all or nothing. Only those below the yellow line are at risk of going home the entire game or every team is at risk, whether above or below the yellow line the entire game.
    I agree with you, which is why I think this 'gameplay' mindset is detrimental to the game, not helpful. I realize that entertainment value is added (I guess?) by watching all this scheming, conniving, crying, yelling, tattling, lying, behind-the-back alliance making and so forth. Personally I find all the drama I need on the scale! They need to come up with a gaming aspect of the show that does not jeopardize the continuance of more deserving (high performing) contestants in favor of weaker players (ie, the ones who don't perform on the scale and/or have poor attitudes). Last season's final group was a case in point, with 3 of the weakest performers of the season in the finals. If weaker players so often prevail over stronger competitors based on 'luck' and confluence of circumstances, the name of the show is bogus.

No one should ever be eliminated unless their own weight loss performace dictates it. They could introduce other penalties, maybe, but I've never supported these skewed elimination ploys.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

You know, I really don't think Ali has anything left to lose. She is almost too thin already.
    Kelly could probably lose another 10-15 pounds, but she is getting down to the healthy weight range.
    Mark is probably at his healthy weight range, and so I don;t see him losing much if anything at home.

Roger on the other hand, could probably still lose another 20 pounds and look good.

Of all of them....I personally like Roger the best, so he gets my vote.
    I'd also like to respond to this...

I checked the healthy weight range for all four people taking into account their sex, age and height:

Alli: Weight range based on her age is from 114 to 150 depending on her body frame. ( I would assume she is medium framed?) Her ideal weight is considered to be 126. From her current weight I think she could lose another 20 and still be healthy.

Kelli: Weight range is 118-155. Her ideal weight is 146 (heavier because of her age) and she could easily lose 40 and still be in a healthy weight range.

Roger: Weight range for Roger is 152-200. His ideal weight should be around 200. (Older, large build) He doesn't actually have that much to lose! But he could safely lose 40-50 and still be healthy

Mark: Weight range for Mark is 132-174! His ideal weight was listed as 165, which he hasn't even reached yet, lol. Mark could safely lose another 30 lbs and still be considered healthy.

I think sometimes what we THINK is a healthy weight and what actually is are far different. At 5'4, and after my kids, I weighed 145. I thought this was fine, until I checked my weight range and ideal weight... my range was 111-146, but on my small frame 145 was overweight. I now weigh about 125 (and work out) and feel much much better. I could take off another 10 and more and still be very healthy. Certainly much healthier than I was at 145.
    (By healthy, I'm only referring to weight ranges)

One has to be really careful to go by certain index criteria alone. For example the BMI is a good guide, but only that. It doesn't take into consideration a lot of things. I think it's all about doing weight loss in consultation with someone who knows what they're talking about.

While I'm really happy for Alli, she really looks almost too thin. The camera does add weight so face to face, she's pretty thin now.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I wouldn't call the lowest end of the weight range "healthy" if it is too low for the individual. Likewise, as you pointed out, Spockwhat, the highest end will be 'overweight' on someone who is very small-framed.

I think these charts do not assume, either, that one is an athlete, which is essentially what these contestants have become. Muscle is dense. Therefore, someone who is very muscled could well be 'overweight' by these numbers, but be perfect cardiovascularly, and fit into a size 6.

When there is such a vast range (50 pounds!) in what is considered 'normal weight', I think the midrange is probably going to be optimum for most people. As we have seen from other previous season winners, while it is POSSIBLE to get into the very lowest end of your weight range, staying there is another matter. The body will naturally seek its own equilibrium, and if you go too low, you will end up gaining that much more as you attempt to do maintenance.

Based on Mark's current appearance, can any of us really argue that he looks great at 169 and would look even healthier at 145 pounds? How healthy does someone look supine and being carried in on a stretcher? Can any of us really support the idea that Roger needs to go down to 152? At 6'3", with a neck the size of my thigh? Dude would need to be hospitalized.

Bear in mind that we are seeing them on the TV, which adds 15 pounds visually. So . . . can Mark or Ali really afford to lose 15-20 pounds more each without doing damage to themselves?

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;2909402;
    I think these charts do not assume, either, that one is an athlete, which is essentially what these contestants have become. Muscle is dense. Therefore, someone who is very muscled could well be 'overweight' by these numbers, but be perfect cardiovascularly, and fit into a size 6.
    Let's use a real example... me. My ideal weight is supposed to be 121. I'm muscled and weigh 125. I could stand to lose a couple, but look fine. I fit into a size six. It would be physically impossible to be overweight at my height (over 145) and fit into a size six due to muscle.

When there is such a vast range (50 pounds!) in what is considered 'normal weight', I think the midrange is probably going to be optimum for most people. As we have seen from other previous season winners, while it is POSSIBLE to get into the very lowest end of your weight range, staying there is another matter. The body will naturally seek its own equilibrium, and if you go too low, you will end up gaining that much more as you attempt to do maintenance.
    The lower end of the weight range is actually optimum for most people. Most people aren't hugely framed like Roger. As for the body seeking equilibrium, that's not true. It's scientifically proven that the body seeks to put on fat, it's a defense mechanism built in. But it doesn't mean it's ideal, I'm afraid.

Based on Mark's current appearance, can any of us really argue that he looks great at 169 and would look even healthier at 145 pounds? How healthy does someone look supine and being carried in on a stretcher?
    Mark's ideal weight is 165, as I said. But it won't HURT him to be 145. Being 210 however, would.

Can any of us really support the idea that Roger needs to go down to 152? At 6'3", with a neck the size of my thigh? Dude would need to be hospitalized.
    Once again, as I stated, Roger's ideal weight is 200 pounds. As I stated. Losing 40 would take him 20 under that... that wouldn't harm him at all.

North America is such a fat lot, that we have a skewed sense of what healthy is I guess. For example, I was at the beach last year, and was about 120 at the time, and had to listen to snide comments about anorexia from the ladies on the beach next to me... it was really annoying, and completely RIDICULOUS! I mean, I'm a size 6, for heaven's sake!

yharden, it also ticked me off, because it mocked and made light of a very real problem that some people have.

Oh, I just had to add one more thing, lol.
    I have never heard of the camera adding 15 lbs. Five, yes, and ten, but not fifteen. And all of that depends on your weight in the first place, (a lighter person would have less added weight). Not only that, but a lot of depends on the lighting, camera angles, and clothing a person is wearing. To me, even onscreen, Alli looked the weight the said she did, 135. The only thing that struck me was her collarbone was quite visable, but the lighting may have been playing a part in that.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 04-10-2008 at 06:42 PM.

I jsut rewatched the end of Tuesday nights episode and realized Roger reminded me of Randy Quaid in Independance Day during his plea for votes. His look, voice and personality, had me waiting for him to say "Up Your's"
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;2909461;
    Let's use a real example... me. My ideal weight is supposed to be 121. I'm muscled and weigh 125. I could stand to lose a couple, but look fine. I fit into a size six. It would be physically impossible to be overweight at my height (over 145) and fit into a size six due to muscle.

The lower end of the weight range is actually optimum for most people. Most people aren't hugely framed like Roger. As for the body seeking equilibrium, that's not true. It's scientifically proven that the body seeks to put on fat, it's a defense mechanism built in. But it doesn't mean it's ideal, I'm afraid.

Mark's ideal weight is 165, as I said. But it won't HURT him to be 145. Being 210 however, would.

Once again, as I stated, Roger's ideal weight is 200 pounds. As I stated. Losing 40 would take him 20 under that... that wouldn't harm him at all.

North America is such a fat lot, that we have a skewed sense of what healthy is I guess. For example, I was at the beach last year, and was about 120 at the time, and had to listen to snide comments about anorexia from the ladies on the beach next to me... it was really annoying, and completely RIDICULOUS! I mean, I'm a size 6, for heaven's sake!
    Hello again, Spockwhat.

Let me state that I commend you for being a healthy weight for you. You are obviously very fit. I will kill to be in a size 6, but doubt I will ever see that again in this lifetime. I have not been a six since at least the 7th grade, before I had any womanly figure to speak of. You say you are 'supposed' to be 4 pounds lower, but 'supposed to' according to which authority? If you feel great, are are in great health & can wear a 6, I think you are right where you are supposed to be. Regardless of what the ladies on the beach said. But maybe you were so sensitized to that that you view 120 as the perfect weight for anyone your height, which I assume Ali is. That doesn't mean that she too needs to go to 120. I'm sure you are at a good weight for you, but you are more petite than the majority of American women will ever be. That doesn't necessarily mean that someone who is your height and 15 pounds heavier is overweight.

I'm not trying to promote anyone keeping themselves overweight, by any means. Slightly underweight people do have good numbers, health-wise. But have we grown so frightened of fat that we seriously think 5 pounds over the 'most ideal skinny' number on some chart is putting our health at risk? As a man of 5'10", Mark has no business being 146 pounds. Just because he could get there does not make it his ideal. That is far too thin--I defy any chart to the contrary. Knowing Mark, he will move mountains to get to that number. That does not mean his body will stay there for life. What I consider an ideal weight is one which does not fight the point below which the body is unwilling to maintain for the long-term.

You are absolutely correct about America being so fat as a nation that we have now a skewed sense of portions and size. But we are also skewed in the other direction. Do you find any irony in the fact that we worship young, extremely thin models as a feminine ideal, while so many of us struggle with diseases caused by overweight? I do. Even though we are as fat as we have ever been as a nation, a normal, rounded, female figure is still held up as 'too fat'. By these standards, any female pinup star of the '50s was grossly obese to the tune of at least 50 pounds. And yet they did not grow up in our current fast-food culture.

We are screwed up about food and weight, for sure, and the pendulum goes to both extremes.

Neither of us being medical professionals, all we have to offer are our opinions. No doubt this show has generated a lot of spirited debate on this topic. It would be educational to visit all of the competitors from previous seasons and see how they are doing today. I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that they are all currently higher than their finale weights. Some of them have gotten significantly larger again. (Matt, for one example.) I think this kind of yo-yoing ends up doing more damage than settling at a slightly heavier weight in the first place that is easier to maintain over the long haul. (while still being in the target range.)

Something I've noticed is that both Mark and Ali have gigantic leg muscles. I imagine they (all) have built a lot of muscle throughout their bodies. We know that muscle weighs more than fat, and perhaps that accounts for why we view Mark as looking gaunt at his current weight (as of the last show). I am curious if they switched up their workouts and traded all that weight lifting for strictly cardio and light weights for toning if they could continue to lose weight and look more or less the same, but with less bulky muscles...? I'm not saying that I know it to work that way. I am just curious if it would, because I know some kinds of exercise create a slimmer physique and some create more muscle. Anyone?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread