+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 4/8 show discussion **spoilers**

FORT Fanatic

Re: 4/8 show discussion **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by tammommy;2906278;
    This is the information from NBC....

vote for who you want to be in the final three....and you get 100 votes per email....
    Well...as much as I want to honor Ali and Kelly's wishes by having Mark be in the Final 3, I am NOT about to vote 100 times! That would indicate that I have way too much time on my hands...

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;2906270;
    I felt the same way until I read your post. Then it hit me. Many players get sent home due to game play, not performance and it is great that they are rewarded for continuing their wieght loss without the benefit of the ranch, trainers, etc.
    HEY! That wasn't supposed to happen!

I do see your point, but then I still get torn with the fact that the last person voted out has truly just as much time at home as the top 3... so shouldn't be rewarded for having an alleged bigger struggle. They played the game and didn't win at one aspect of that game.. the social portion.

So, using your comment I would say that everyone should vote Mark in as the third person just so Roger can get sent home and then win the $100,000 instead of 2nd or 3rd place to Ali.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

I am disappointed to hear this is a dead heat. It is time for a woman to win this and Mark should be in the final because they would have voted for him. Okay, so Roger is a good guy, so what? So Roger is the fattest. So what? This is a game and you help who you want to win. Go Ali! Ali is the biggest loser so far, has lost more than any woman in the history of this show. What more does one need to help her in this final twist of fate?

Quote Originally Posted by jennmarie13;2906353;
    How can you tell the voting so far?
    Unofficial running poll on the Biggest Loser message board. Earlier today, both guys were polling about 50-50; now I see (as of 5pm) Mark is pulling ahead by 9 percentage points (56-45). This is only a small handful of responders--Not the majority of voters by far.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;2905836;
    I need to amend my earlier comment about Mark's continued presence being a manipulation; if that is true (which I believe it is), the same goes for Ali being brought back. Though I can more easily justify her being there since when she was eliminated, it was as part of a package with her mother, and not due to her own weight-loss failure. Also, she was toiling at home and sustaining her weight loss on her own for many, many more weeks than Mark. Mark was actually absent from the ranch for what . . .one week?

Be that as it may, I think a vote for Roger is the purer vote because only he and Kelly are the two contestants who were never sent home. Based on Roger's record, his weight loss numbers and his never having fallen below the yellow line before, keeping him out of the finals in favor of Mark would be a travesty.

Just my humble opinion. That said . . .Go Kelly!
    I think if anyone deserves to be there, it's Ali. She has never fallen below the yellow line once the entire game. If you think it's unfair that she was brought back, it was equally unfair that she was eliminated without ever having been below the yellow line in B2. It evened out that she was one of the returnies

Quote Originally Posted by niteowl64;2907610;
    I think if anyone deserves to be there, it's Ali. She has never fallen below the yellow line once the entire game. If you think it's unfair that she was brought back, it was equally unfair that she was eliminated without ever having been below the yellow line in B2. It evened out that she was one of the returnies
    Actually I think the entire cycle of elimination is completely stupid and unfair. I would like to see everyone compete as long as possible, and if they need to go home, make it the scale's decision and send home the member with the lowest weight loss. That's it--no jockeying, no alliances, no backstabbing, lying or begging. This season had the additional twist of being weighed as a unit with a teammate, which unfortunately caught Ali in the crosshairs. I like Ali, and I have enjoyed her renewed presence on the show--but I said that about her to make myself consistent with what I said earlier about Mark. That essentially both of them have been given a gift in being allowed to return that the others did not get. It could be argued that Ali and Mark have actually worked harder than anyone else, especially Ali, since she was at home on her own far longer than Mark.

Irrespective of how much either of them might 'deserve' the win, though, my point was that it is not a completely fair playing field to the other competitors because bringing back eliminated players changed the control group dynamics. In order to be eligible for the same prize, I think they should have to endure the same conditions in order to get there. Otherwise, we could just make 'Biggest Loser' a totally at-home show.

Kelly and Roger had the perceived advantage of being on the ranch longer, but Ali and Mark had the perceived advantage of emotional support from home. Ali and Mark also both had significantly less weight to lose, which is why they were essentially at goal by the last weigh-in.

With no disrespect to any of our competitors, the format of the show is basically unfair to begin with, since everyone is starting at a different baseline weight and body composition. It's not easy for anyone to lose even a single pound, whether you're big or small. Kelly and Roger actually have to work that much harder to drop enough body mass to be equitable with the smaller ones. So everyone's got a struggle, and no one's had it easy. I will be happy for whoever ultimately wins, because any of them deserve it. However, it's shame that 'gameplay' so often wins out over weight loss on a weight loss show. It is practically inconceivable (though totally possible) that Roger will not be able to finish the game having lost 144 pounds in 15 weeks. That is inSANE! I like Roger; I didn't like Neil last season, who basically had the same thing happen. It seems like, after favoring the heaviest guys for 3 years, they are now bending over backwards to thwart a big guy win in favor of much smaller weight loss competitors.

FORT Fogey

The premis of this game is strategy coupled with hard work. It is not meant to be fair, and I am not sure what that really means.

I don't think it is "fair" to eliminate someone who hits a plateau. It happens to everyone on a weight loss program at some point. On any given week a plateu could hit the person who is working the hardest while a much heavier contestant could be slacking in the gym or displaying a bad attitude but lose a lot anyway because of their size.

The prize is a quarter of a million dollars turns this into an interesting game because attitude and team playing come into the mix. I think we would have a very boring show with the heaviest person automatically winning each season if it were "fair".

FORT Newbie

This has been my first seaosn watching biggest loser (my sister got me hooked!)

Ali...she looks amazing. I was really impressed with her until I read in her bio that she used to be a competitive swimmer. That explains why her body responds so well to diet and exercise. Her body never got used to being obese, it isnt a normal state for her. From her build, I think Ali could easily drop to 115-120 and still look good. Since she hasn't been overweight for a long time, she wont have the loose skin problem like a lot of the contestants so she will naturally look smaller and firmer. Even if Kelly got to 120 she would not look like Ali, ever. You can tell on her arms she is going to struggle with terrible loose skin from 30 years of obesity.

Kelly is my girl now, no doubt. She has been heavy since childhood and there is no disputing the fact she seemed to have one helluva a self esteem problem when she arrived on campus. She has come so far. True...all that costant prattling on about 'being the last member of the black team' is a tad annoying, but I'm hoping she wins. She has made big changes inside and out - and did it without a bunch of crying!

That being said...I voted for Roger.
    I just could not bring myself to vote for Mark. He does not look well anymore. Not healthy. As much as I want Kelly to win...I would hate to see Mark try to strip off more weight. What does the guy have left to lose? Muscle and sinew?
    *shudder*
    He is starting to canabalize his own body in an attempt to win. I can't stand to watch that happen. I felt physically ill at the last weigh-in when I saw his numbers.
    He needs an intervention!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tammommy;2906203;
    You know, I really don't think Ali has anything left to lose. She is almost too thin already.
    Kelly could probably lose another 10-15 pounds, but she is getting down to the healthy weight range.
    Mark is probably at his healthy weight range, and so I don;t see him losing much if anything at home.

Roger on the other hand, could probably still lose another 20 pounds and look good.

Of all of them....I personally like Roger the best, so he gets my vote.
    Having anything left to lose and maintaining a healthy weight and having the most wegiht loss up until the final weigh in are 2 different things. If any of them can continue to lose as much as possible even if they go beyond they their ideal weight they should and most probably do just that to keep themselves in the running for the money. Return to your ideal weight once the reg. winner and at home winner is announced and the money awarded.

I still think Ali can lose a little more and look and be healthy, hovering around the 127 lb. range, Mark is looking gaunt and sickly even now though

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;2908240;
    Irrespective of how much either of them might 'deserve' the win, though, my point was that it is not a completely fair playing field to the other competitors because bringing back eliminated players changed the control group dynamics. In order to be eligible for the same prize, I think they should have to endure the same conditions in order to get there. Otherwise, we could just make 'Biggest Loser' a totally at-home show..

I hear ya but it wasn't a completely fair playing field that they got eliminated by a different set of rules than any other team. If your at risk only when falling below the yellow line, it should stay consistant. Ali and Betty Sue never fell below the yellow line, yet they were at risk. On top of which, at no other time during the game were any teams at risk while still being above the yellow line. It should be all or nothing. Only those below the yellow line are at risk of going home the entire game or every team is at risk, whether above or below the yellow line the entire game.

+ Reply to Thread