+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 4/1 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Newbie

Re: 4/1 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by bdhtexas;2887295;
    America is not the fattest country in the World and Australia is not #2.

Fattest Countries in the World — Infoplease.com

USA is # 9
    Australia is not even in the top 20

Thanks for the info. It appears Bob is just like so many people who take information as fact from someone who talks out their ass and repeats it without doing any of their own research.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;2888743;
    Me? I about fell off of my bed laughing when she said that to him. I don't think she was showing a lack of support or a lack of understanding. I think Mark's great, but his blubbering is a little over the top, and I cringed when he and Jay were both up for elimination. Thankfully I was able to skip through the tears since I DVR'd it.
    My husband (a very sensitive sweet guy) and I watch together. As soon as the numbers came up, we looked at each other and said "YESSS!! " So happy to see one of the boo hoo bros GONE BUT...our joy was shortlived as we realized the blubberfest was about to begin. It's annoying, creepy, and down right ridiculous already. As another poster said...jeez, they're not going off to war. Nor are they going to be separated for a great length of time. Though never a fan of his, I stopped liking Mark altogether after he tried to weasel out of his deal with Roger to leave if necessary (after Trent had been sacrificed). "I said I would leave if I had no more weight to lose(BOO HOO) But I DO have more (whine whine...sniff sniff...) I don't wanna leave my brotherrrrr wahhhhhhhh" I believe he was in the mid 190s already. Yecchhhh.

The other three should have spent the hour deciding which to vote off , doing the MATH. Figure out which bro had lost the bigger % of weight thus far...and toss HIM. Sheesh a 5 yr old would've figured that out.

PS--agreed! hooray for DVR!

FORT Fan

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Roger and Kelly have more weight to lose but Roger is overdue to plateau and Kelly is not a consistant weight loser-1 week ok the next terrible. Ali doesn't have much left to lose but she has been losing at a fantastic pace during the time she was not on the ranch. If anyone is going to lose more weight without a trainer, I give her the edge. She had to all those weeks away from the ranch. Even with a trainer on the outside, it's not the same as the one on one with Jillian and Bob for 6 hrs a day. Mark continually surprises me with his weight lose but he doesn't have it to lose unless he starves himself. He'll probably be one of the B2

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar;2886801;
    Mark & Ali share the plane ride and take a bunch of photos.

Brunch is at an awesome place overlooking the harbor. They eat outside. I want to go there, but didn't catch the name. Did anyone else see it? Maybe if I ever make it to Australia I can go

Mark leaves brunch to call Erica. He cries when talking to her because he misses her and feels he has changed so much. She says "Are you crying again? You need to toughen up." My goodness. What a horrible lack of support. No wonder he's feeling so much more comfortable with the others in the competition. They understand the emotional journey he's been on. His wife clearly doesn't.

Okay. While I don't like divorce based on affairs, I could see how it would be hard to go through a life changing experience like this where your sense of who you are changes. If your spouse doesn't make the change with you, or at least support who you are becoming, how could you stay in the relationship? Not saying Mark's cheating, or ever will, but lord that would be hard.
    It's kind of interesting that Mark's terror of heights apparently vanishes when he's on a tiny little puddle-jumper plane. That doesn't seem a great deal more secure than the bridge, but perhaps the seatbelt gives him a sense of safety he didn't feel with the thinnest of rope railings on the bridge. That thing WAS scary! All of them looked like they might ralph up there, but Mark wasn't faking the terror--he couldn't keep his head up for long to look at HostAli.

Now THAT was an interesting physical challenge! One of the few that actually compelled me to keep watching and wasn't a foregone conclusion. Everybody did great. It was magnanimous of Mark to share his prize with Ali, instead of his brother. Unexpected, but magnanimous. I note that he still took the better seat for himself ("Can you see?"), but hopefully Ali got an equally good view once the plane circled around.

I agree that his wife sounded a bit too brusque on the phone, chiding him for his crying. In her defense however:

1. I laughed out loud when she said it. If all the rest of us are sick of Mark's boo-hooing, imagine how she must feel! Did the Biggest Loser suddenly unveil Mark's soft vulnerable side after a lifetime of hard machoness, or has he always been a weeper? I vote the latter . . .witness how little brother Jay blubbers all the time, too. You don't overcome a lifetime of habits to the contrary in 6 or 8 weeks. Blubbering was in the hard-wiring already. All these fat people are overly emotional--that's what drove them to abusing food in the first place. Some tears are certainly justified and humane, but the brothers are excessive criers. She could've said it nicer, though, yes.

2. We only heard a snippet of a conversation that probably lasted at least 10minutes. Who are we to say that he hadn't instructed her to use those very words if he started to get weepy again? Maybe she has learned from her years of marriage to him that a 'tough love' approach works best.

3. Imagine how she must feel, stuck at home by herself for months on end with two small children and only the most sporadic contact with her husband. He's getting makeovers and great trips all over the world with attractive female teammates, plus all this positive reinforcement and special treatment. Maybe money's really tight while waiting on the Biggest Loser stipend and/or the magic $250,000 to appear. She doesn't get to have a lifestyle makeover--she gets to do the same old thing she does every day only without her husband. She knows he's getting better-looking and fitter by the day (though 'better-looking' is a matter of taste. I find that he and Jay both have these heavily-lined wizened looking faces now that they are skinny. The fat must have been smoothing them out before, eh?) She by contrast, hasn't changed, or hasn't changed much, even if she's trying to lose weight, too. So not only is he having all these life experiences without her, but he will come home with a whole new physique and attitude to match. She already got a good glimpse of that when he was at home the first time. Heck, she was at the fashion show and saw how great he looked . . .and everyone else too. She saw Brittany's boobs, along with the rest of America . . . for all she knows, Mark was Down Under having brunch with Brittany, too. The imagination runs rampant with a lack of information and not usually in a good way.

Perhaps they had words before he left for the second time . . . we saw that patience with his family's eating habits was not Mark's strong suit during the at-home challenge week. She is probably feeling somewhat judged and defensive for having a hand in 'allowing' her family to get fat. Fair or not, the perception is that Mom controls the household in terms of food. So now her cooking and grocery shopping will be faulted by her newly health concious hubby, and all the ways she used food to express love in the past will have to be scrapped. Maybe they have to be, but that doesn't make it easier to do.

I don't deny that Mark has undergone his own kind of personal hell on the ranch, is making a grueling commitment and is deserving of emotional and practical support from his family. But I question whether his emotional needs should trump hers, and I kind of side with his wife here. Is she not also making a grueling and lonely commitment in order to support him in his quest? I'm not surprised that she was a little testy (if in fact she was.) If they were calling at breakfast time in Australia, who knows how late in the evening it was in Boston? She might have been frazzled after a long day of single parenting while her hubby was off fighting the battle of fat in glamorous Sydney with cute girls half her age.

As to that--I do not suspect Mark of ulterior motives in his friendship with Ali. I know it looks that way to minds thinking in the lowest common denominator terms. I won't say it hasn't (quite naturally) crossed his wife's mind, or his brother's, especially when he hugs her a lot and they play piggy back ride. And if he hasn't noticed the new Ali in her tiny pink workout spandex, he wouldn't be a man. But there's noticing, and there's stepping over that line, and I wouldn't accuse Mark of doing that.

It's like these contestants are soldiers at war. Like soldiers, they have been segregated from their families and from the civilian world in a far away location. They are subjected to extreme conditions of physical and mental stress. Their tour of duty has lasted for months. And, as witnessed by last night's elimination, they have bonded together in their common pain like a soldier unit does, disparate personality styles and all. I think Mark views Ali as a little sister and comrade-in-arms, not in any other terms. She herself acknowledged that she gets along well with both brothers, and was actually friendly with Jay first. Maybe someday it will be possible for a man and a woman to have a strictly non-sexual friendship without arousing (ahem) negative comment, but it doesn't appear to be yet. The development of this friendship over time seems quite natural to me under the circumstances, though it's easy to read stuff into it. They've been cut off from the world so long, they are probably not even aware that this friendship would seem odd to people outside their group.

It will not take another, thinner woman to put strain on his marriage, though. The weight loss itself is the Other Woman, or more specifically, the new lifestyle he has embraced. His wife will have to make peace with the changed Mark and embrace his new lifestyle, too, or risk losing him. That goes for all the contestants--their relationships are going to be forever altered because they have forever altered their relationship to food. Some relationships do not survive the transitition from Fat Person to Thin Person--remember Marty? He had a wife, too, before he fell for his fellow teammate, Amy.

Mark is hopefully in a better, more mature place than Marty was and will be able to transition into a new life as a Thin Person without scuttling his marriage and his job, too.

Anyway, I thought last night was a GREAT episode, for once. Looked like they were weighing in on the set of Biggest Loser Australia, though that was conveniently not mentioned! Of course Bob and Jillian had to say goodbye to their teams . . .they will be remaining behind to tape new shows in OZ while their American kids are waiting for their finale.

I guess I'm a little relieved that another country besides us is in desperate need of a Bob and Jillian-style intervention. I think Jill fits right in with the Aussie women . . .those gals are a tough breed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar;2887012;
    Mark says he was willing to make the sacrifice to save his brother from having to be eliminated, because he knows what it feels like. But since his brother wanted to do it, he's not going to stop him.

I wonder what Jay's wife will say when she realizes he volunteered to go this close to finals and $250,000.

Although if the brothers had let the other 3 decide, I think they would have eliminated Jay since he has more left to lose.

I am convinced that the brothers made a pact to split the money if either of them won. I'm sure Mark will reward l'il bro for getting THIS CLOSE then sacrificing himself to save Mark's neck. I think that's why Jay didn't put up a big fight about going. Can you imagine the rift between the brothers if one won and didn't share? I don't think they'd allow that to happen. Particularly since Jay's daughter has special needs--his bro will take care of him.

That's presuming Mark wins. Personally I think it will be Roger. Only he and Kelly HAVE anything left to lose, dayum. That's why everyone's numbers are so small. IMO, Mark, Ali and Jay are all done losing their weight. I don't see an ounce left on any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by realityaddict19;2887547;
    Yes, it is years old, but it wasn't shown in Canada I guess until 6 months ago on this random channel. I have been watching both of them, and coincidentally they decide to go to Australia and show me the winner
    the show is only 1 hour long though so it's been going on for a while now and its down to 5 contestants but I dont even see a point in watching it anymore
    Actually, you should watch it. The way the eliminations play out in the Australia season one was amazing. I just watched in in December/January at some point in one big marathon.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;2889117;
    It will not take another, thinner woman to put strain on his marriage, though. The weight loss itself is the Other Woman, or more specifically, the new lifestyle he has embraced. His wife will have to make peace with the changed Mark and embrace his new lifestyle, too, or risk losing him. That goes for all the contestants--their relationships are going to be forever altered because they have forever altered their relationship to food. Some relationships do not survive the transitition from Fat Person to Thin Person--remember Marty? He had a wife, too, before he fell for his fellow teammate, Amy.
    You've hit the nail right on the head here. I know my own marriage went through some transitions as I have lost weight. One thing that helped us was that I was changing at home in the presence of my husband, but there were still some hard times. Initially I think he was very worried that if I lost a lot of weight that I wouldn't find him attractive anymore. We had fallen into comfortable patterns over the years and here I was shaking everything up. I think it must be a lot harder on the families left behind when their spouse or parent is gone for weeks and then comes back with a whole new physique and outlook on life. Good analysis, Hikari!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar;2886436;
    Interesting... Ali links arms with Roger and Mark after dancing while walking home. I saw her dancing with Jay. I'm sure they all danced together (I would give a kidney to dance with Bob)... and the guys were commenting on how far everyone has come (ie how good they all look, especially the women) ... but they singled out Ali as being really good looking.

I hope that doesn't cause trouble with the wives back home.
    Am I a freak if I admit that I don't feel the Papa Smurf luv the way other females on this board seem to? I remember a memorable comment about Bob being the grass . . .

Um. I'm not feelin' it for Bob. Even in seasons past, when Papa Smurf was more smurfy. I mean, I admired him as a sensitive person/trainer who (I believed) had the contestants' best interests at heart. He seemed genuinely caring, and does have a great smile. But do I want Bob in the carnal sense? I'll pass! He's too wiry for my taste and I'm not a big fan of arm-sleeve tattoos. In general, I prefer bigger, darker, rougher-looking guys. Bob strikes me as somewhat effete. I confess I don't really understand Bob as Sex Object Fan Club. My spidey sense always told me that Bob might prefer dance clubs that cater to a different clientele than the one they visted last night, if you know what I mean. So, no, don't get a sexy vibe from Bob, personally. But it is all a matter of taste. Until this season I did like him very much as a person, but I'm afraid that's gone now too.

QUOTE=MomAt40Pls;2889204;]You've hit the nail right on the head here. I know my own marriage went through some transitions as I have lost weight. One thing that helped us was that I was changing at home in the presence of my husband, but there were still some hard times. Initially I think he was very worried that if I lost a lot of weight that I wouldn't find him attractive anymore. We had fallen into comfortable patterns over the years and here I was shaking everything up. I think it must be a lot harder on the families left behind when their spouse or parent is gone for weeks and then comes back with a whole new physique and outlook on life. Good analysis, Hikari![/QUOTE]

Thanks, Mom . . .congrats on your new healthy lifestyle! I totally agree that the families left behind have an equally hard adjustment to make once their newly thin loved one comes home. The person losing the weight is obviously making great physical sacrifices and paying for their new bodies in sweat and deprivation . . .but that doesn't mean their families don't give up a lot too, in emotional terms. I get a sense from posts here that many only consider the contestants on the ranch (or the one who is at home dieting) as the sacrificing ones. There have been some cold comments on other threads about the necessity of dumping 'enabling' spouses. How can any of us say that the ones who went away to lose the weight weren't also enablers in their own ways? Hopefully when any family member loses weight, it is an impetus for the others to practice healthier lifestyle habits, too . . .but doing so shouldn't be a CONDITION of retaining the thinner partner's love.

It's hard on both sides. The partner left behind has to face great insecurities about their bodies and their attractiveness to their partners. What was acceptable when they were both fat will be less so when one is now at an ideal weight. Even if the thin person says not, I don't see how feelings and perceptions won't subtly change over time, unless the spouse tries to play 'catch up' with his or her partner's weight loss. The Biggest Loser ranch is an extreme case. Not only have these people lost the equivilent of a whole person in just a few months, they have spent those months being constantly indoctrinated in a very stringent, non-natural lifestyle. There will be some weight gain as they readjust to real-world conditions; along with that will come some resentments, probably, and some long heart-to-hearts. They haven't just lost some weight--they have been transformed on the inside, too. Their spouses will essentially be getting used to new partners, not just smaller partners wearing smaller clothes. I think with all this emphasis on the contestants' transformations, there is little attention paid to the great voids they have left at home and how their families have sacrificed, too.

Sounds like you and your husband have weathered those rocky patches and are on your way to a healthy life together. Best wishes to both of you.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;2889205;
    Am I a freak if I admit that I don't feel the Papa Smurf luv the way other females on this board seem to? I remember a memorable comment about Bob being the grass . . .

Um. I'm not feelin' it for Bob. Even in seasons past, when Papa Smurf was more smurfy. I mean, I admired him as a sensitive person/trainer who (I believed) had the contestants' best interests at heart. He seemed genuinely caring, and does have a great smile. But do I want Bob in the carnal sense? I'll pass! He's too wiry for my taste and I'm not a big fan of arm-sleeve tattoos. In general, I prefer bigger, darker, rougher-looking guys. Bob strikes me as somewhat effete. I confess I don't really understand Bob as Sex Object Fan Club. My spidey sense always told me that Bob might prefer dance clubs that cater to a different clientele than the one they visted last night, if you know what I mean. So, no, don't get a sexy vibe from Bob, personally. But it is all a matter of taste. Until this season I did like him very much as a person, but I'm afraid that's gone now too.
    No you're not a freak for not loving Bob Just better odds for the rest of us, I guess.

I've always loved wiry guys. I'm married to one. Mr. Cheddar and I are fortunate to have a very awesome home gym which we use several times a week. He lifts a lot, and actually looks a lot like Bob. Prior to meeting Mr. Cheddar, I only dated one guy who was not a wiry type. And while I'd never have a tattoo myself, I love them on guys like Bob. It takes all kinds, doesn't it?

+ Reply to Thread